THR Good day sunshine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great news...hope all goes well on Thursday...looking forward to your news...Chrissie xxx


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
So here's my month plus a few days update. Had post op check up and all went well. Using one crutch outside. Getting to the Dr entailed an hour bus ride, a two hour train ride and then a taxi. But I was ok. Then my son picked me up and took me to his house for the weekend. On my way home now on a 4 hour bus ride. And except for continued low back pain I'm pretty fine.

But I do have a question. After reading about various complications here I am a bit nervous about this, which of course I didn't ask the Dr. The incision is on the front of my thigh and it's fine but my outer leg/hip is a little reddish. It seems to fade and then get darker sometimes. Nothing hurts and it doesn't really feel warm. I remember it was red there during the days after surgery but seemed to fade. Now it seems redder. Should I be worried or do anything?

@Josephine. Any thoughts? Thanks
 
Although your incision is at the front of your thigh, the surgeon will have gone into the area over your hip bone and separated a lot of tissues there. So there is a lot of healing going on. Healing begets redness and warmth! If this continues or gets worse over the next 3-4 weeks, then you should speak with your surgeon. But my best guess is that it will start settling down around then.
 
@Josephine. THANK YOU SO MUCH. You really put my mind and body and soul at ease. Back to recovering without anxiety. :)
 
So glad all went well at your post op check @ dickinson ....great news!! And what a long journey, were you exhausted afterwards? Do hope the redness goes down, I'm sure it will as Josephine said. There does seem to be all little problems/anxieties that pop up along this journey...that's why BS is so great to be able to get some definitive answers. Lots of love Chrissie xxx


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
I thought I'd post my 7 week update. so many things I read on BS help a lot. for instance, various aches and pains that for the most part eventually disappear. so I know that's normal. last week I had a sharp pain in my outer thigh of the unoperated leg, when walking. PT (a mere wisp of a girl) dug her thumbs into my butt, according to her the piriformis muscle, and the pain disappeared. I have been having ongoing lower back pain, which can be quite disheartening. finally my hip doesn't hurt but oh my achin' back. today I did the third TENS treatment and I think it's really been helping with that. (electrodes and electrical impulses). mostly walking without a crutch except for longer walks, but taking it very easy. after doing an exercise in PT of stepping up onto a step maybe too aggressively, I've been feeling pain in what my research here tells me is the ileopsoas muscle. it's harder than it was to go up stairs now. so back to going up like a toddler until this settles down. finally started wearing new timberland shoes that I bought a couple of years ago but never wore because I thought they bothered my back. their time has come and I think it also helps. also taking arnica, symphotum, calcium, d, zinc, magnesium. luckily I don't have trouble just chillin'. basically all is going well, with ups and downs and various anxieties that BS usually solves.
I think the main thing I've learned, doesn't everyone say it ALL the time, is that this is a slow process. things went so well so fast that I guess I didn't respect the process as much as I should.
so that's it for now. so grateful to be on the road to recovery and feeling pretty good.
best wishes and thanks to all. Devorah
 
I agree Devorah. It is a slow process. I'm almost 7 weeks and I also have various aches and pains. Mine seem to move around. From what I'm hearing, this will go away with time. Time.....the great healer. Wishing you continued great recovery. Peggy xo
 
Hi @dickinson ...7 weeks out is. Still early days so remember to listen to your body and if it hurst too much don't do it. Sometimes it doesn't happen straight away.....but the next day will tell you that you shouldn't have done it.

You are doing so well and are such a positive support to. Us all
Keep up the good work
 
@dickinson Sounds like you're having similar problems to what I had. My back went nuts several weeks after my second surgery (I think it was at about 7 weeks, too) because I evidently did way too much and ended up with piriformis trouble and sciatica. After a BAD 2 or 3 weeks and acupuncture, gentle chiropractic care and laying around on a heating pad, my back got better and now I am doing fine (I'm being careful, tho). It was a depressing thing to have that back flareup just when I thought I was doing so well, and I thought it would ever go away, but it did. I'd suggest just taking it easy and trying a heating pad and maybe some alternatve treatments, like acupuncture or GENTLE chiro. They say that piriformis thing is a real problem to get rid of. DON'T overdo -- doc said it isn't something you can "work" through by exercise, but it just has to settle down.

Peace and love to you.

Milli
 
thanks @Butterfly .I did know that you were having that problem. yup. it's funny that while everyone here is talking about ice being their best friend, heat has been mine. and I've sensed what your doc said about just giving it time. thankfully I think it's settling down and I can start appreciate the new me even more.
 
Hope you are feeling better @Dickenson.....all these aches and pains take time to resolve.....thinking of you. Chrissie xxx
 
now that I figured out how to find my own thread (!) I thought I'd move an answer I got from @Josephine from another thread
********************************
dickinson said: ↑
I am aware of my hip when I get up from sitting down, or lift heavy things

Actually it's not your hip you're aware of, it's your wound. It could be as much as 6 more months before that drops off your radar!

Dickinson said:↑
I met a woman recently who had a hip replacement 6 years ago. her dr told her that she shouldn't walk too much so she doesn't wear out the hip and have to have another one. she told him she has a 10 minute walk to and from work and he told her she shouldn't walk it

WHAAAAT? :tantrum2: How absolutely, totally, incomparably stupid! People run marathons on THRs. And Jaycey is right - technology is on our side!

****************************************

thank you Josephine. as usual you put my mind at ease. I have noticed a number of people commenting about those first steps after standing up. it is interesting to differentiate between the hip and the wound. I never thought of it that way before. it's actually more than 'being aware of my hip'. it hurts for those first steps on the outside of my upper thigh, I even limp through them, but now I won't worry.

so my 4 I/2 month update is that I'm doing basically great. I still marvel, and am so grateful, at how well it's going. just had a new grandchild and find I can help in the ways I'd hoped to, without suffering. and am walking a lot.
wishing everyone the best, especially @Vetgirl and @tashia, and @calikat and @Michelle1976 who I haven't seen lately.
@shrinkette...happy to see things are getting better.
take care, devorah



​
 
Devorah so glad your doing so well. You sound like your having a great time on your new hip!!!! And a new grandchild would just top it all off for you!! Congratulations on your recovery - it is wonderful to read about!
 
Good to hear you are doing so well! And yes, my new hip is great, but the wound still gives me a little trouble. Good to know.
 
Good news all round! Congrats on your new grandchild and being able to fully participate is the icing on the cake!!! Chrissie xxx


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
Not only did you figure out about your thread, you even managed to copy posts over! Well done you! :thumb:
 
:) and there were very clear instructions after I did a search on the site, so thank you !
 
and it's very heartwarming to get all your responses, thanks so much
it's like seeing old friends again
hoping to hear continued good news from all
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom