BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community

[THR] Going4fun new hip adventure

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Recovery Area' started by Going4fun, Sep 11, 2018.

1. Going4fun

Going4fun senior

United States United States
    Yea! ... I have my first PT appointment next week for work on loosening my IT band. Looking forward to this new chapter of my hip adventure.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Mojo333

Mojo333 FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

I am rooting for you, friend:friends:

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Going4fun

Going4fun senior

• Like Like x 1
  4. Barbaraj

Barbaraj post-grad

Hope you are waking up today, @Going4fun, feeling positive and relatively pain free. I hope that PT next week will be a good experience for you, and will help to loosen up that IT band. As I've said before, I've had good experiences with PT and although I don't consider it "fun", it definitely has been helpful. This past Friday's session was a bit uncomfortable and discouraging, but I must say I felt better when I woke up on Saturday morning. I just have to take the long view, that my hips didn't get in such bad shape overnight and it is going to take some time for them to recover and heal. Anyway, have a great Sunday!

5. Layla

Layla FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Hi @Going4fun
    I hope you're having a nice weekend. You'll have to let us know how your PT appt goes tomorrow.
    Hopefully it begins to bring you some relief with your IT band. Take it slow and if anything hurts, stop
    Best wishes for a good session and a great week!

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Going4fun

Going4fun senior

Oh @Barbaraj, thank you for the good wishes ... and there is some good news to report. I went on a relaxed half-mile walk today ... and something funny happened ... Because of the surgery, because of recovery and all of that ... I am highly conscious of the new hip when I walk ... and I was conscious of the hip today ... but only because I was conscious ... Meaning that I not really feel much at all or any glitches ... It was as if my body had confidently taken over control of walking and my mind didn't really have much to do.

So you have already started PT?! ... I like your long view ... it's true our hips didn't get in this shape overnight ... and it will take time for them to recover .... calling up that thought at the moment of stiffness is the challenge.

I had originally planned to go out dancing last night ... but decided that I don't need to aggrave the IT band .... not sure such aggravation would have occurred ... but just decided to take things easy ... BTW: I am very much like you in that exercise is a basic part of my health and my mental health ... So going easy ... mainly for walks ... has been hard ... but I think there has been a payoff ... might be that the hip was just healing on its own and would have healed as much with more aggressive exercise ... who knows?

Yes, it was a beautiful sunny day out this morning, and I enjoyed that sun ... think I'll try to get out for another walk later, in my favorite cemetery! ... Yes, there is a cemetery near me that is also an arboretum ... absolutely stunning beautiful grounds ... couples picnic there, joggers run through there ... one of my favorite "parks."

• Like Like x 1
  7. Barbaraj

Barbaraj post-grad

Oh, @Going4fun, glad to read that your half mile way, no matter if it was leisurely, was comfortable and you didn't notice any twinges. Sure, it will take awhile before you don't notice it at all, but you are clearly on the right path. I took a slow and careful walk to our local library on Saturday morning, to pick up a book on "will call", and while it wasn't the most comfortable walk (felt quite stiff and a bit awkward) I managed it without a lot of discomfort. And yesterday I was tootling around two large garden centers with a friend who was intent on buying some new outdoor pots and plants to fill 'em, and, again, I felt okay--so, inch by inch, maybe continuing my forward, although clearly zig-zaggy path forward. Glad you're getting some sunshine--walking outside in the sunshine is so nice, isn't it? And the cemetery/arboretum sounds like a great place to stroll. Happy Monday!

• Like Like x 1
  8. Layla

Layla FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Happy Monday! @Going4fun
    Congrats on the half mile walk.
    It's good there were no glitches and you were able to enjoy the leisurely stroll.
    Wishing you more of the same this week in the hopefully sunny arboretum / cemetery.
    Have a great week!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1