Going for revision - terrified - need reassurance and advice!

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Waiting... - huge commiserations and warmest wishes to you that everything finally gets resolved on Monday, but sooner if things don't settle. We will all be anxious for news.
 
@Jamie I am feeling pretty good about this doctor, though I liked him a lot more at our first meeting. He told me he spoke with the surgeon who messed up my replacement in the first place and now it seems like there is a lot of covering 1st surgeon's butt where before current surgeon was listing all the things 1st doc did wrong and was shocked and how wrong they were. I'm sure 1st doc is concerned I will sue him and this town really is a good ole boy network so the only way I could sue him for taking away a year of my life would be if I move. Otherwise I'm afraid no doctor would want to see me if I sue. I've never sued anyone in my life but everyone I know, including my parents who never sue anyone thinks I should pursue something. My cup detaching from all bone is the final straw for me. But that's all to deal with later. Right now I'm not at home to try and tough it out. I'm home because I'm the single mom of two kids and the ex has no rights to see them and my parents don't help much so I have everything arranged for them next week, not this week. This pain sucks but I will not hesitate to go to the ER if it gets worse. It definitely shifted again in the night and throbs and throbs but if I can get through the end of this school week with my kiddos then they can go stay with my parents for the weekend and I know they'll be okay. Thank you for your words of compassion and encouragement and reminding me that getting ready isn't that big a deal except for finishing getting the office downstairs completed. I have 16 stairs to my bedroom so rented a hospital bed for the main floor. I just want to come home from the hospital with that done. I think I'll be spending a good amount of time in there the first week or two.

Can anyone tell me how long after their revisions it took to want to get up out of their bedrooms and be out and around the house and then how long it took before you were able to/wanted to get in a car and go anywhere??

It's because of this site I am no longer scared to death. Thank you all so much!
 
@Miss Muffet muffet, Thank you for such kind words and your well wishes for Monday. Last hip surgery I was very out of it and would type absolute gibberish, which most of my friends found hilarious :rotfl:, but it might be best if I don't update right away! :heehee:
 
You should be mobile fairly quickly after the revision. It's much the same recovery as a primary hip operation. They will have you up and moving about in the hospital before you go home. So I would say you'll be walking around the house a little to do some things for yourself immediately. I know things must seem very dark right now. What has happened to you is a huge deal and it's difficult to see past the pain and suffering you've had. Don't worry about anything else for a while until you get through the revision and start healing. There is plenty of time to determine what, if anything, is to be done about the first surgeon.
 
@Jamie, That is definitely what I'm trying to do. When my friends and family get really angry because they are so upset about the last year too, I tell them we all just need to focus on positive energy for now. I WILL get better and then I can get my daughter better and then we can think about legal things down the road.

Thank you for the information about what it will be like. I had heard the revision recovery is much worse than for a hip replacement. Has anyone else had a replacement and a revision and have any words of wisdom or advice?

Also, I wanted to know if anyone skipped the at home rehab that they want you to do for the first couple of weeks? Every time I did any PT after this last, botched replacement, I would feel like I was dying the next day - it's nice to know why now! I got kicked out of water PT which felt so good but left me feeling so much worse.


I've been reading on here that some people are saying the only rehab you need is to rest a lot and walk a lot, working up to it gradually of course. I'm starting to think that makes an awful lot of sense. I've have what will be 5 operations on my hips combined when Monday gets here, so I know every little exercise they will have me do. After my fist THR I rocked my PT and got so strong and so fit but I also heard someone on here, maybe the nurse, Josephine?, that your muscles aren't just weak, they are injured. That makes so much sense! Everyone treats you like you've got to strengthen those muscles ASAP. With everything inside me put in wrong and rubbing wrong every time I moved, no wonder PT hurt so darn badly this last time. The first one it didn't. So was just wondering general consensus, how many of you did the at home rehab and from then on just did walking and rest, how many of you did at home PT and then PT somewhere else after, and how many of you didn't do any rehab at all other than resting and walking.

It's so wonderful to have a place to ask these questions and get answers from people who have been there!
 
I hope you hear from a bunch of actual hippies about their therapy. I'll tell you that you could do it yourself if you choose. Hips will heal just fine by themselves with walking....start slow and work up. And you are right on target about your body needing to heal before trying to gain strength in muscles that may have atrophied a bit while your hip was not working properly. That happens but you can definitely overcome it once you are healed.

I believe you'll be pleasantly surprised at how well you do after the revision. There is usually less bone cutting and working with the bones to replace whatever must be replaced in your joint. It won't be worse and could very well be an easier recovery than your primary surgery.

Hang in there! We're with you all the way!
 
@Jamie,
Bless you! You know just what to say when that little voice of anxiety whispers in my ear, and I guess for some reason I feel like I need permission to not do all that PT. Do you know any hippies you can send my way? :)
Have a great rest of your night. I'm soooo tired from laying in bed all day!
Kara
 
I was never ordered any PT, just given stretches to do and told to walk. My revision was almost exactly like the original recovery, maybe a little more sore at first but I healed quickly. You can do this, and will feel better soon!
 
I was given a few basic PT exercises I was supposed to do at home, 10 reps each, 2-3 times daily: heel slides, pressing my knees down into the mattress, squeezing glutes. I really didn't do much other than ankle pumps to get the blood moving for the first week. After that I started doing some of the exercises, but was not very good about doing them as often as I'd been told to. I probably did them once a day. Walking well with no aid at just over 6 weeks post-surgery now.
 
Here are some fellow hippies that might be able to stop by and talk with you:

@Jaycey
@Krista
 
@Waiting... I was supposed to have PT after both THRs. But frankly it didn't help me at all. Walking and some light stretches at home was all the rehab I needed. Unfortunately physio people tend to give the same exercises to everyone regardless of their situation. Knees and hips get the same. You will do just fine just walking - and not to excess.
 
@Jaycey,
Thank you! Did you just tell your doctor you weren't going to go and he was fine with that? I know this is about US and OUR bodies but I wonder if you refuse to do something they order if that changes the relationship if there are any post op issues...
Kara
 
I did attend a few sessions of PT. But since I was seeing no results I discussed this with the PT and we agreed I was discharged from any further sessions. It did not have any impact on my relationship with my surgeon.

Post op blues are just part of this recovery. Don't worry about it - it does happen but the feeling is different for everyone.
 
I've been on bedrest since my cup component completely detached from the bone of my socket. It's so awful that the cup changes position all the time. One day I had a horrible time being able to use the bathroom, another day I laid in bed and sobbed because I was in so much pain I could barely move and has a huge struggle just getting into the bathroom. The other days have been just a notch or two above excruciating.

I have two kids who are very understanding and very happy for me that I'm finally going to be fixed and start the healing process. It kills them to see me in so much pain. My son is so happy it's almost surgery day but I don't know how he will emotionally handle me being gone for the week. He's a little nurturer and cuddler even at 12 1/2

Today I woke up and it was like the cup shifted right back into place. It was so weird. I kept my crutch just in case but it made me feel so normal and happy that I wanted to just get out of the house to anywhere so of course we chose to run to Target to get a couple last things we needed for their week ahead. We were there about and hour and a half, longer than I thought we would be and by the time we were leaving I was miserable. Sitting in one of those power carts when you are 5'11" is not comfortable at all. I can't stretch my bad leg out at all to make it comfortable. I came home and felt just horrible. I just wanted ice packs and sleep.

So I've been in bed since 3 or so and it's midnight and my eyes are WIDE OPEN. I'm exhausted but can't seem to sleep. I feel prepared. I feel that my kids are prepared though I'm missing helping them with their last week of the semester. I'm sure there is some anxiety in there. I just want to sleep.

I think knowing what the surgeon finds and what he has to do will be a big relief. I don't like unknowns. I can deal with anything, just tell me what I'm dealing with, ya know? :)

So I've done my best to NOT go to the hospital early because they would stick me in a bed and give me painkillers. I am in my comfy bed with no roommate and Fentanyl patches with no one waking me every 4 hours for vitals. But if this sucker shifts again tomorrow to a really bad spot again, I will go. I just wanted a little time with my kids to snuggle and laugh before I go, maybe play a board or card game or watch a movie. I know it's going to be awhile before I can do much with them when I get home. I keep thinking in my head that I have to get everything in the world organized for them like I'm going to be gone for months. It's weird. They are capable kids who need to learn to do a little more around the house and this will be a good chance to do those things and learn that mom's job is really hard and tiring.

I suppose I'm just venting now, should probably write in a diary but too tired to hand write. I'm hoping sleep comes soon. And I'm hoping that weird thought that I have to get the kids prepared for life will go away. Thanks for letting me just babble! I hope everyone out there is feeling as good as they can be!
Blessings,
Kara
 
Did you just tell your doctor you weren't going to go and he was fine with that? I know this is about US and OUR bodies but I wonder if you refuse to do something they order if that changes the relationship if there are any post op issues...
Some surgeons might get huffy and start pontificating about the dangers but at the end of the day, it's your right in law to decide this. Read this Saying no to therapy - am I allowed to?.
 
@Josephine

It was your pages I had read that made me start thinking you were on to something! I need to heal my injured muscles before working to get them stronger. I have been wondering how to tell my doctor my choice since I read what you had to say. My post op is next week. This week is surgery and the hospital. I think if I get a good home PT who just does things that don't hurt I'll do the couple of weeks at home but tell him at the post op that that is al I will be doing. Thank you for passing on the things you've written, it makes me feel even more right about my choice. :)
Kara
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Tomorrow I have to be at the hospital at 5:45 am. I can't sleep with my current bout of anxiety. I KNOW my surgery will help and I'm very positive that tomorrow will be my first day of healing but I'm also scared of the process today. If you have any good thoughts and energy to send to my surgeon and me tomorrow, I would greatly appreciate it! Bless all of you, no matter where you are in your process! I'm grateful I found this site and joined. You've been a big help!

Thank you,
Kara
 
The way I played it was to say nothing but just do what I wanted afterwards. When his assistant asked me at the 6 week review if I'd been doing my exercises, I just said 'of course' and left it at that. But I was prepared for a stand up fight if she'd pushed it further but I think she had more sense! It's all in the non-verbal language. Just be assertive and resolute and don't debate the issue. And don't raise the subject yourself!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom