TKR Glad but Struggling

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for your lovely comment on my smile, normally people say I like your purple glasses. I loved your last post, it did make me chuckle.
How I would love a night at the opera or ballet, you must have been so distracted going down the stairs...OUCH.
I have been looking forward to getting to the movies, and going Gold Class. Do you call it Gold Class in USA? In Aussie it's were they only have 10 seats per theatre, and recliner couch chairs, and they serve you dinner through out the movies, and a glass or two of wine.
 
Lounging on a recliner, diner, wine, at the movies?? Heaven...except I'd be snoring in no time. We used to have small theaters like you describe. we called them art houses.They are all gone now, to make room for start up Internet companies. back in the day, these art houses had bean bags to lounge on...the thought of doing that now makes me laugh. I'd need a crane to get me up off the floor.

You'll get to the opera. And I like your purple glasses too.
 
I feel a hard spot along the right side of my knee. Don 't know if it's part of the metal, or swelling. I make sure to give that spot plenty of ice time. I also notice it's a place that feels most of the pain when I do my heel slides. The other areas of swelling ( E.g. Back of the leg and knee) don't have that hard feel. Has anyone else felt hard spots like this? Thanks, in advance, for any insights.
 
Since I had a lateral release along with the TKR, I've been wondering if that is contributing to swelling. It's not so much just the swelling that bothers me but the fact that the swelling has not lessened at all after 5 months. Some days, like today, I can really feel the swelling behind my knee, as though I'm carrying a sand bag on the back of my leg. While I sit here packed in ice (all I need is some tequila), I'm trying to figure out what kind of bike I need to get. My PT said an upright to help stretch my leg. I also need to find one that will fit into my small studio apartment. The bikes I've seen in sports stores are huge. Anyone have any advice on a good, small upright bike?
 
Clarrox, I ordered a bike from Walmart online. Shipped to store for free. I have to have someone put it together and have no idea how it will work but it is supposedly very quiet and it folds up. You can find it online. I believe I paid $129. for it.
 
I feel a hard spot along the right side of my knee. Don 't know if it's part of the metal, or swelling. I also notice it's a place that feels most of the pain when I do my heel slides
Since I had a lateral release along with the TKR, I've been wondering if that is contributing to swelling. It's not so much just the swelling that bothers me but the fact that the swelling has not lessened at all after 5 months.
By "right side" I take it you mean the outer side? That's where you had your lateral release (lateral being the medical term for the outer side) and the result of that can be a spot of scarring. Scars can be hard, like gristle but are generally not a problem. However, in your case, I would suggest that this is the problem and further convinces me that, rather than being more intensive in your exercise, which is only going to worsen the tendinitis you presently have, you do need that MUA when you have your other knee done.
 
Thanks all. And thanks in particular to Josephine. Will look at that bike Crystals5 mentioned. Finally asked for in-office apt. with OS for next week, instead of waiting for next appointment next month. Told him that, even though swelling is part of healing process, this much swelling 5 months post-TKR seems off to me. I will also ask about doing the MUA sooner rather than later. I function OK, no pain when walking. But my life's goals now consistent of being able to sit in a bubble bath, and be able get back up and out again...and, of course, to go forward on a stationery bike. Simple pleasures.
 
Hi Clarrox like you I suffered with a lot of swelling but I don't think it went on for as long as five months. Im glad you made the appointment with your OS. If a MUA is needed like you say the sooner the better. I also remember getting that first forward motion on the bike after weeks of back pedalling. Good feeling. Im almost 12 months now with left TKR and it seems to have been a very long process and I still haven't got great ROM but I can do a lot of things I couldn't do before and that dreaded bone on bone pain is the best thing not to have every day. My right knee is doing ok now its not taking all the strain tho I know it will need doing at some point. I really hope you find some answers from your OS as recovery is bad enough without the added extras. Wishing you luck and take things easy. Take care.
 
Hello Clarrox
I've just been reading your thread. I have no advice to add, just wanted to say hello.
I think there are some words of wisdom in your thread about following your own recovery path. Each one of us comes to knee replacement with a different knee and a different history and each one of travels the recovery road at our own pace.
It sounds as though you are making slow and steady progress in your own time.
I hope you have a good appointment with your OS. I will watch out for your update on how you get on.
Have a good day,
Toothfairy x :flwrysmile:
 
I really like this forum...what wonderful people. And what real kindness you give. I've never been one for social networks. Twitter...what do you mean complete strangers will be following me?! I grew up learning that was something to be on the look-out fir. Facebook...who are these people friending me?!...never heard of 'em. But here, I feel at ease, among fellow travelers..limping though many of us are, but traveling just the same.

Last night I tried a new experiment. I got down on the floor, something I haven't done since before surgery. I was able sit down on the floor, legs straight out, just like in the bubble bath of my dreams. What followed looked a comedy routine, with me trying to get up. No way! I even tried turning so I could get up on my knees, or, at least, one knee. I discovered that getting on my TKR knee felt really, really strange. And I was afraid I would break it somehow. I had images of what would have happened if I had tried this experiment in the tub. I w iPod have had to yell for help until someone called the Fire Department to hoist me out. Whew! Glad I was only left worrying if I, still fully clothe, could figure out how to get up in time to go to work the next day. Eventually, I was to sidle over to the sofa, collect pillows, and put my TKR knee on it until I waddled my way up to sitting on the sofa. I was exhausted. The bad news: no getting in the bathtub just yet. The good news: I must have earned a lot of Weight Watcher activity points during my experiment.
 
Hello Clarrox
I know just what you mean about "feeling at ease among fellow travellers"
I can relate to your experience sitting on the floor. I remember the first time I did it and finding getting up tricky. I did have my husband nearby to lend a hand.
I found if I sat on the floor with my back against the sofa I could then use the sofa to help get myself up again.
It might be an idea to have someone around before you take that first bath just in case.
I have a grab handle on the wall beside the bath and find its great for helping me out.
It does feel really weird kneeling on TKR knee but I am sure you won't break it. I was kneeling little and often and it was getting gradually easier. No kneeling for a while now as I have just had my second knee done. It will be interesting to see what happens when I try it with two TKR.
Have a good day, Toothfairy x :happydance: :dancy:
 
That was smart to get on the floor and see how it is to get up. I had my mom do that when she objected to being shadowed by her caregiver. A sobering exercise that made a point. I'm still comical when I get up off the ground.

This recovery is a long hard process for some of us. I was just reviewing old posts of mine. I tried so hard to figure out what was going on each step of the way. When a post-TKR slows your life down, there's lots of time to overthink things.

BTW I used to volunteer as an EMT. Getting people up off the floor was not an uncommon call! Sometimes it took an hour or so. If you can get around onto your knees like you did, you can use a chair to get up. I'm lucky in that kneeling doesn't bother me. But I do remember how difficult and exhausting such "simple" things were in that first year. I'm still so much more appreciative of everything I can do now. Getting out of the tub is still hard for me. I have to use lots of upper body.
 
Good job on getting down--and more importantly UP! I remember the first time I did that I made sure I wasn't alone in the house in case I needed help. I did it myself but it was quite a production. On the other hand I really knew my new knee was the "good" one after I wiped out on on some ice on the driveway about 7 months in. I'm sitting there thinking, "ok, I hope I can get up." It was the operated leg that got me up.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom