Guest viewing is limited

THR Gingko day 5 after Direct Anterior Approach THR

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am not a regular person ever and surgeries took a major toll on me. Stool softeners now almost everyday and Miralax have worked wonders for me. I NEVER take the one type of laxative. It has a certain ingredient that starts with a PI think.
 
Me too Julie. I have been taking 3 Dulcolax a day for ages becuase of the daily Percocet. No problems and no problems :th_heehee:...No problems for my GP either.
 
Itching back of thigh 2 weeks out anterior THR

Hi All,
In general doing great but developed a burning itch on back of thigh and to side of knee. Still taking 1 1/2 Narco 10/325 (hydrocodone/acetomenophen) every 5 hours. Was taking it every 4 hours but seem to be able to space it out a bit more. Still wearing TEDS 23 hours/day.
Could itching be because swelling is going down a bit now? It only itches above the TEDS not under it. It itching were due to meds wouldn't it be in places other than my operated leg? Incision does not itch at all. No redness or rash in itching area.
I will try icing it today.
PT switched me from walker to cane today at 2 weeks post-op. Seems a bit soon but I am able to bear the weight with only the cane whereas last week I needed the walker. In general am coming along very nicely! Constipation solved by drinking nightly smoothy of six prunes soaked in water and one dose of Miralax blended with yogurt and soy milk and more water.
Thanks all!!!
Gingko
 
Re: Itching back of thigh 2 weeks out anterior THR

:th_heehee: Well, I don't know about the itching, but you may have a real winner there with the smoothie :thumb:! Impressive! However, as with any of these OTC meds/aids, make sure you are following the instructions and not taking for longer than the recommended amout of time, and that you are mixing it with at least 8 ounces of water.

I was told by both hospital and rehab to use this, and it is very helpful and not harsh, but after reading up on it, it is a polyetthylene glycol, which is still a laxative. I didn't realize this until I just "googled" it. As with any OTC med, you may want to check with your doctor and of course follow the directions. Sorry if I gave wrong information. Your "prune smoothie" may work just as well without the Miralax!

This was just my opinion of course and I am NOT a medical professional!
 
Re: Itching back of thigh 2 weeks out anterior THR

Hi Gingko,
I will be curious to see what Jo or other medical professionals have to say about the itching. But just wanted to share that I also had areas of major itchiness on the operated leg during the same time frame as you - burning sensation at the back of the thigh and scratchy itchiness on the calf. I also assumed it had something to do with the swelling, and, it subsided in 2-3 days.
 
Re: Itching back of thigh 2 weeks out anterior THR

Morning everyone......

I'm curious too about the burning sensation, in the same location. I had this about week ago I thought it was the ice pack because it had a burner freeze sensation. The timing of your post is good because it had gone away for a few days but this morning I had a serious flash of this weird feeling. Mine is definitely a flash titling sensation. I was wondering if it was a muscle, nerve healing thing? I had mentioned to PT but she didn't seem concerned will ask her again this morning. I did have some swelling and bruising in the same area above knee along side of thigh too.

Curious what everyone has to say. Thanks again for asking!

Warmest Wishes,

Sarah
 
Re: Itching back of thigh 2 weeks out anterior THR

Thanks for all your responses. I started to get worried that the redness and itching could be due to a nickel allergy since I tested very high in a reliable blood test by Rush University. But I thought my components do not contain nickel: a Coral stem, Delta ceramic ball and poly (AltraX) cup. I will try to get my operative report to make sure that these are my components. Also wouldn't a metal allergy show up later and in a different way, for example, by causing a loosening in the stem?

Otherwise my recovery seems to be going really well. Walking with the cane feels much more physiologic than using a walker. I'm starting to experience a very smooth hip function. I've cut my Narco down from 1 1/2 (10/325) to just one every 4-5 hours. I'm hoping to switch to plain Tylenol (acetaminophen) soon so that I can start driving.
Hope you are all recovering well!
Gingko
 
Re: Itching back of thigh 2 weeks out anterior THR

You not far off about that. It's more likely your itching is due to the surgery and the healing. I've found healing wounds can itch like crazy! I wouldn't start on the extreme issues as they are somewhat uncommon.
 
tramadol vs codeine

Hello Everyone,
I seem to have developed a rash on my operative thigh to the hydrocodeine I was taking (Narco). I stopped taking it and went to plain acetopmenopehn (Tylenol) but the pain in my hip came back and it hurts too much to walk very much with my cane. So I went back on the Norco and reduced the dose to 1 pill every 4 hours (10/325). It still is not relieving the pain enough. Meanwhile my doctor called in a prescription for Tramadol. I'm a little afraid to take it. Does anyone have experience with it? I'm only 2 weeks out from anterior surgery but heard that anteriors should be able to get off pain meds by 2 weeks. Guess I'm just slow! I read Josephine's info on pain meds and it sounds like I really need to stay on them a while longer!
Thanks for any thoughts you have on this and specifically Tramadol.
Gingko
 
Re: tramadol vs codeine

Hi Gingko,

I don't have experience with Tramadol, but I do have experience having both hips done with anterior approach and I don't find the 2 weeks and being off of pain meds reasonable. Possibly for some it may, but I know I wasn't off of them by then. I took Norco with the first but it didn't work for me on the second. I was switched to a Hydromorphone after I got home with the second one and took it for about a week and then I was able to get onto the Norco. I too was prescribed the 10/325. I do get itchy when I take it, but that's about it, well constipated, but that's a given.
 
Re: tramadol vs codeine

Julie is right. If you have pain, you need to manage it with whatever it takes to work. Undermedicating is counter to a good recovery.

Actually Tramadol is a very good alternative medication that has been used by a lot of folks here. I'd give it a try. Take the full dose to start with to be sure you knock that pain. Later you can experiment with spreading out the dosage a bit. Don't be in a hurry because of some artificial timetable. The only thing that matters is how YOU are feeling!
 
Re: tramadol vs codeine

I started taking Tramadol 50 mg every 4 hours 2 days after my surgery. I took this around the clock for about 7 weeks. Then I switched to ibuprofen during the day because I was driving and still took Tramadol at night. If I didn't have to drive, I would have stayed on Tramadol during the day longer. I had the anterior surgery and was still taking ibuprofen and/or Tylenol and the occasional Tramadol well into the 8th month and some after that. There is absolutely no way I could have been off pain meds at 2 weeks! You need good pain control as you become more active and build up the muscles.
 
Re: tramadol vs codeine

Thank you everyone for your responses! This is soooo helpful! I will be having my Tramadol delivered tonight so will give it a try and will keep round the clock dosing. I do so much better when not in pain!
Thanks again!
 
Re: Itching back of thigh 2 weeks out anterior THR

OK, thanks. The itching seems to be much less now. It's funny because it is far away from my incision but on the same leg. It seemed to start when the swelling went down so maybe the skin was reacting to the absence of swelling. Who knows???
Thanks,
Gingko
 
Re: tramadol vs codeine

Hi

Just to add. I've never taken tramadol. But my mum has literally taken every painkiller on the market. No joke. And believes tramadol to be the best she has taken in regards to effectiveness, side effects etc and she does get a lot of side effects with various things, skin especially. And would take tramadol over codeine any day. So much so that when the vet suggested tramadol for our 14yr old dog, she was quite happy to give it to him as she had road tested herself!
 
Re: tramadol vs codeine

[Bonesmart.org] Gingko day 5 after Direct Anterior Approach THR
I was introduced to it after my knee replacement and have taken it for a few situations and have taken it for a few more situations since. When you take it, add in 1,000mg Tylenol as it gives it a bit of a lift. You should be prescribed for 50 or 100mgs per dose which could be 4-6hrs to a maximum of 400mgs per 24hrs. (Also Tylenol to a maximum of 4,000mg per 24hrs of course).

It's very good, not nearly as dependency developing as other narcotics but does cause constipation.
 
Re: Itching back of thigh 2 weeks out anterior THR

Thanks Gingko - glad you asked this question. My itching has gone away now also, plus the little electrical shock vibes I was getting. It was odd the location had nothing to do with the incision area I figured it was swelling and healing.

Thanks Josphine too!!
 
Re: tramadol vs codeine

Hi Gingko,
I am just a little over 4 weeks post op and had an anterior approach. Pretty quickly I was able to reduce my original prescription for Percoset to 2 a day. About 10 days ago I switched to Tramodol 50mg and I find that I still need 2 a day. I have also become much more active. Even though I might think I can go a whole day on one pill, If I try I will eventually have to get up in the middle of the night to have one or I won't be able to sleep. I am generally someone who had gone light on pain medications, but I don't see myself coming off the Tramodol for a little while yet. Good luck figuring out what works for you.
 
Re: tramadol vs codeine

Thank you everyone for your replies about Tramadol. I'm going to try taking two 50 mg tabs with two extra strength Tylenol (1,000mg acetaminophen) as Josephine suggests this afternoon. It is very encouraging to learn that many of you could not stop the pain meds at 2 or even 3 weeks, even with anterior. My PT was a little miffed because I wasn't walking very much because of the pain so I really need to "get with the program" and keep the pain under control so I can do my 20 minutes of walking (minimum) per day plus other exercises. I would like to be able to drive but that will have to wait. Luckily I'm someone who is never bored at home so I'm happy as a clam with my my books, movies, art supplies, computers, kindle etc etc!
Gingko
 
Re: tramadol vs codeine

Wow i am truly amazed. Tramadol is about as effective as an aspirin for me. Actually the only thing it does is bind me up. It is amazing how different medications effect people differently. I was on it years before surgery for about 4 months before I gave up. Just amazing. Wish it were more effective for me. lol.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom