THR Gillywigs has a new hip!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, I was swtiched recently from naproxen and put on diclofenac (and continue with the omeprazole). Have heard various things about opiate pain killers (some slightly alarming). Did tramdol give you weird experiences? That might not be favourable. I have one friend who had a serious reaction to morphine and doesn't even know how they managed it and what they switched her to, but she's okay now. Ibuprofen and paracetamol sound to be lower down the scale of likely side-effects, though I am prepared for a dose of constipation - and will order in large quantities of prune jucie in readiness! :martini: Consultant mentioned DVT managed by asprin OR injection. I presume you ditch TEDS when you leave hospital? How do you cope with the jabs - is it unpleasant, or easily managed? Hubby putting stockings on = shades of Prince Albert and Queen Victoria. :wink:
 
@Miss Muffet - I was given a good report at my 2 week check up. They took xrays and looked at the incision, basically said everything was looking good, continue with what I was doing. Also said the amount of walking wasn't important, just get up and do it (was reminded to get up every hour and move). I'm sure the moving has to do with deep vein problems and preventing them. They also answered a bunch of questions re: swelling, pain, movement, etc. I guess one thing I didn't ask was if I have to continue walking one legged up and down stairs until the end of the 6 weeks when I'm checked out again and given a release from restrictions.

Regarding your questions about pre-op medications, it really depends on what you're taking as to what they tell you to stop. I was on Nsaids, and Turmeric, and was told to stop both of them, but was also told that Ibuprofen was still ok to take up to surgery. They try to stop anything that effects blood clotting.
I am managing DVT with a twice daily dose of aspirin and DVT apparatus I wear on my calves at night (velcro strap on and are battery powered). Since I don't wear them in the day, that would be the advice about not sitting around, but getting up and moving. :loll:
 
Lol at Prince Albert! Re the jabs, very easy to do, only got one more week to go (month in total) . CatLady reminded me - in hospital had inflatable cuffs on calves the first night. Not exactly relaxing - blow up with a clunk every thirty seconds - but i guess they do the job. Have not come across at home ones like CatLadys in the UK.

Re the tramadol - after about a month on it realised I had completely lost interest in food and felt a bit sick all the time, had constipation plus very restless sleep (though that might also have been pain or stiffness). Then when i came off it, after two months, to see if steroid injection was working, I didn't feel well at all for about a week. That said, many people take tramadol with no probs, and I imagine short term use is unlikely to cause withdrawal symptoms. My anaesthetist said he wasn't a fan of it for post op pain.

Re morphine - was offered it but really didn't have that much pain, and wanted to avoid possible dizziness when first walking. But would have taken it if I had been in a lot of pain. I was lucky to be fine with codeine which I soon cut down to half a pill a day and then cut out.

How much pain you have after op seems really variable between people. The one thing you can be sure of is that the original pain will be gone right away, and that the new pain at the op site will start getting better day by day. Don't stint on the painkillers at home as you need to be able to move around happily.


Bettifloss - RTHR 5 January 2016
 
@CatLady1 - how reassuring to be told all is well at your checkup. Must be interesting to see the finished job on X-ray. I have my before pics, which I photographed off the consultant's screen, so will have something to compare in a few weeks time. Am smiling at you walking "one legged" up/down stairs. I hadn't appreciated they actually removed the dodgy one completely ...? :scare:
Will be ready for the questions and answers at pre-Op re drugs. Thanks for all your advice.

@bettifloss - thanks. Won't panic about tummy jabs then - think my guy favours aspirin but will double check,. I had a bad reaction to aspirin MANY years ago when a locum GP prescribed a very high dosage when I was hit with a particularly nasty flu bug. I may not be allergic, just a silly error on his part as I was young and very slight so naturally enough it made me quite sick, and I believe the DVT dose is only something like a couple a day, which is a whole different story. I remain cautious about Tramadol.

Thanks again lovely friends - you certainly circle the wagons when it comes to care - wishing you all well and a peaceful, comfortable night X :flwrysmile:
 
CatLady reminded me - in hospital had inflatable cuffs on calves the first night. Not exactly relaxing - blow up with a clunk every thirty seconds - but i guess they do the job. Have not come across at home ones like CatLadys in the UK.

Funny you say that. Last night hubby and I were talking about the sorry stock market here in the US, and I mentioned that we might invest in stock related to the joint replacement market. I figured those DVT units might be something worth investing in (or companies that make hip replacement joints) - since all of us are in use of new joints..... this just might be a hot market soon! :heehee:
 
@CatLady1- Big congrats to you for the thumbs up at your 2 week check up! :thumb: It's good to hear that, isn't it? - even if you know you're doing well, it's reassuring to hear someone else declare it! Interesting that they took x-rays then. I won't have new x-rays done until the 6th week. Keep up the good work!

And good luck with your new investment strategy, too! :idea: :snork:
 
@Gillywigs - I know what you mean about waking every few hours at night. When I was just starting out in recovery, I think I slept more during the day than at night! It's slowly getting better with time but still a bit restless. If I change positions (I do sleep on my unoperated side with pillow between legs half the night) and change ice packs, it is a big ordeal to rearrange things...... Anyway, I hope your sleep gets more sound and peaceful soon! :mcoffee: :sleep:
 
@Miss Muffet - I have seen my pre surgery xrays - and wish I had been smart enough to take a picture of them with my phone. I guess I was in such a stage of disbelief when I was told the diagnosis it didn't even occur to me to take a photo. I can remember getting home from the Doctor visit telling my husband the only option was surgery with new metal parts (and I really was thinking maybe there would be an interim step of ????), and how I needed to get a 2nd opinio; that's when all the internet research started - I found bonesmart.org and some youtube videos, etc. I visited another doc a couple weeks later, and then decided to move forward. In my case, I know your mind has to be ready to accept the diagnosis ("Honey, you're a cripple, and the only thing that will fix you is a new metal hip!" Me: "That can't possibly be right?? Didn't I walk in here by myself? I can't be that bad...." ) :rofsign:

As for going up and down stairs one leg at a time - good leg up, follow with bad, good leg up, follow w bad - (like what we did before surgery) are the rest of you on similar restrictions for stairs?
 
@Readysetgo - interesting you've been given permission to sleep on your side. I was told that "if there was any side sleeping", it would be on my operated side, with a pillow between my knees. Then the PT woman went over all the restrictions, and one of them was sleep on your back. I was sent home with a leg brace to wear at night - the feeling of it keeps you locked into one position - knee is straight, etc - really making it not easy to roll over, or even lay on your side. About the end of week two, I quit wearing it at night. Putting the DVT wraps on (that are bulky), then a leg brace on top of that - got uncomfortable. One morning I woke up with a pain in my calf from being squeezed overnite with the DVT and leg wrap. I decided as long as I'm sleeping in the recliner, there isn't much chance of rolling over anyway. If I could sleep on my side, I'd probably go back to sleeping in bed.

Last night I did try to sleep in bed - it felt like my head was going down hill - so I had to get more pillows. Then there was the issue of the cat - sitting on the pile of pillows that were lined up next to me to keep me from rolling over. Every few minutes, a paw extends to 'feel my body', then a loud short yowl, then she just sits there. I don't know how long that went on, but I eventually fell asleep, only to wake up an hour or so later with a head ache from all the piled up pillows holding my neck in a strange position. I just got up and went back to sleeping in my chair. And the cat got her bed back!
 
Yes aren't I lucky! We do have a recliner but it isn't the sort that tips you up and decants you into the room - just reclines. It isn't high either, though I'm a shortie st 5'2" so I guess the hospital people will tell me if that's ok or not when they get my measurements...?
Miss Muffet, only just catching up on posts and saw this! I am also 5ft 2" and my measurement was 18.5inches from floor to compressed area of which you are seated - hope this helps!! X


Becki - RTHR - 6th Jan 2016
 
@Widge422 - ah another shortie! Do you have a recliner and does it propel you out of it? Ours is very deep and nice but I fear will break the 90 degree rule getting into and out of it - and I'm not convinced I would actually be able to launch myself out to be honest. Such a shame as from what the rest of my hippie friends here are saying it would be super comfy to get some kip in. The good news is our bed is nice and big but also very high (especially bearing in mind my height) so I may be able to shimmy on to it relatively easily (?) Just hope I've enough upper body strength to shift myself around and get comfy. But then that's probably where the Hubble comes in?
 
Also worth asking at your preop what the anti dvt regime is - i felt very fortunate that my surgeon does not believe in the compression stockings, so have just given myself nightly clexane jabs. hubby would have been hopeless at putting the stockings on me!


Bettifloss - RTHR 5 January 2016

Ooooh! I'm loving this quoting lark! Only just given it a go! Lol
Interesting what you say there @bettifloss about DVT, I have been told to wear these darn stockings for 6 weeks, no deviation and they put me on pradaxa, I had a cut on my lip and it bled for the best part of a day and a half!
I'm taking them every other day now and although the the consultant suggested continuing the course, I felt this was a compromise!! X


Becki - RTHR - 6th Jan 2016
 
@Miss Muffet - no, I don't have a recliner thing that propels you out! Lol we looked at it but they are expensive and when looking online at secondhand ones I was reminded about the general state of these chairs and how many are used by older people (who are generally incontinent !) and people are getting rid of the chair as the said elderly person has passed on!
I got a standard chair from Argos and some bed blocks to make bed/chair correct height (I was private yet had to purchase the bed blocks!)
I have terrible trouble sleeping but console myself in the knowledge everybody here is in a similar situation and is suffering the same, I would say I get 2-3 hours per night and just lie awake, the sleep I do get is when I lie on my unoperated side, (which the consultant told me not to do! ) my need for sleep sometimes gets too much, I do however get a couple of hours in the day too! X


Becki - RTHR - 6th Jan 2016
 
For those in the early post op stages - Sleeping does get easier, honestly. Now sleeping quite well, even though my instructions are on your back only - on my side would be bliss, going to ask at six week appointment. Loving the cat description!


Bettifloss - RTHR 5 January 2016
 
@Widge422 - -- with you on the second hand chairs (not ready for that methinks) will look at Argos idea and blocks. and @CatLady1 thanks very much for the link which I will investigate. Husband is quite handy at woodwork but I fear this could resemble something like Fred Flintstone designed if he gets carried away! And @bettifloss - I'm sure you're right that sleeping will become easier as time goes on. A friend said not to get preoccupied with it - she resigned herself to having lots to hand through the night - books, telly, games, music and said she tended to top up on naps through the day whenever the mood caught her. I am a tyrant when tired so will try and bear all of this in mind X
 
@Miss Muffet - You'll get through this just fine! And when you do, you'll have all kinds of advice for those that follow you. Just remember, this too shall pass, and what seems unbearable one day, you'll look back on and realize it wasn't that bad, and indeed, you SURVIVED! Do you have a surgery date yet? Your signature says you're still waiting on a date.
 
Hi all. Sorry about the delay in posting. First my phone charger refused to charge up my phone then I decided I needed a sleep and went to bed for two hours. Last night I had my first proper and refreshing nights sleep and again this afternoon. Great!!! Ok physio this morning. Got there ok with help of trusty hubby. Had a nice reunion with staff on reception and some who looked after me. Physio was very good. Went through usual questions about pain meds, limitations and precautions. She did a little bit of moving the joint, scary rather than painful. She said I need to be more confident now and to move with more confidence. She recommended some planned and safe trips out for coffee and to start walking outside when the pavements arent flooded (like today). She also showed me how I could wash my hair over the sink without breaking the 90 degree rule. Really pleased so will be watching the weather tomorrow to see if we can get to Waitrose for coffee and a cupcake. Yum!!! Hope you are all doing well. Hang in there @Miss Muffet. Youll be doing the same soon xx
 
@CatLady1 - just love all the warm encouragement. Makes me feel I will be okay. Having a low day. Supposed to go to my art group this evening, but it feels like I've got a knife poking up into my buttock, so having to ditch that one. No surgery date so far. Seeing the consultant on Thursday, but I'm not sure I'll be given an Op date at that meeting. I presume they come by post in due course, and the a pre-Op appointment will be next?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom