Getting things ready for RTKR on June 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great! Like you said, you will have a team aware of the situation going into this next surgery.
 
I am amazed at how many OS are prima donas and don't take the time to listen to us and attend to our needs and questions. WE are the patients, not our knees. I admire you for sticking up for your rights. As an shy person and an introvert I know how hard that can be. I am lucky that I like my OS and he always has time for my questions. He is also good with family after the surgery.
 
I admire you for sticking up for your rights. As an shy person and an introvert I know how hard that can be.

I am also introverted. Which is why this was hard, and why I am just so thrilled with myself. Just can't believe I DID IT!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
God Bless You I had two done at once, it's scary but once your on the other side you will be happy.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Just had my telephone interview with Pre Op; on next Tues I have pre op testing and Joint Camp, which I will attend again (not required second time around, but I will attend).

I am reading Peggy Huddleston's Prepare for Surgery, Heal Faster, so I asked if she could find a nurse trained in T Touch, to visit me once I am in my hospital room. So she has that on her list. She volunteered that their pastoral team handles Reiki, so she will also add that for me. And she will coordinate with the surgeon's office, see if she can get my Pain Management meeting for Tues since I will already be on site.

Then she said something that REALLY scared me. Well, maybe 'scared' is the wrong word; but it sure got my attention! A new rule now says the Surgeons can not prescribe oxycodone for more than one week. I was on that for 2.5 weeks last time, then moved to Percocet for 5 days, then moved to Tramadol.

I will need to learn more about this. And, I keep praying that this knee is not going to be the same anyway, so all my back up plans will be available for in case, but not needed.
 
Surgeons can not prescribe oxycodone for more than one week! Here we go again with a very small percentage controlling the rest of the world! We have to suffer for the law breakers. What are we single people supposed to do about getting our meds when we can't drive?
 
Last time I needed meds refill, I had to pay my Pet Sitter service to
1. go pick up the script at the doctor's office, and drop off at pharmacy
2. go pick up refill and bring to me.

Cost me $50! ($25 per trip)
 
And that's not counting the cost of the medicine! It just isn't right. Everything in the world is on the internet now. Can't the powers to be see who has had major surgery, an accident, etc. and really need strong pain meds. The very few are controlling the many again. Do you remember the days when the pharmacy would actually deliver the meds? I do. Wouldn't that be wonderful for us on here!?
 
Her in NZ, my pharmacy will still deliver the meds, but the hospital board in this region has a policy whereby the surgeon can only prescribe Oxycodone and the other heavy-duty narcotics for the first two weeks after discharge. After that, you get Tramadol plus Tylenol/Paracetamol. As long as I took those meds on a regular schedule, they worked well for me.

The hospital's policy came about because of the post-op experience of couple of patients. One of them had her house broken into and the narcotics were stolen. The other person, stupidly, travelled to another town and was arrested for selling her prescribed narcotics on the street.
 
Having a sense of humor is quite important during this recovery. I wonder if the forum would consider a thread where the Admins gather all the many funny photos and sayings. Anyway,

A friend on Facebook just posted this, and it hit me in the funny bone, I laughed till I had tears.

"We can make her faster. We can make her stronger. And if we only do it in one leg, we can get a good laugh by watching her run in circles". Says one of my friends after I posted the X-ray on my personal FB page"
 
Having a sense of humor is quite important during this recovery. I wonder if the forum would consider a thread where the Admins gather all the many funny photos and sayings. Anyway,
I think the Admins have enough to do - we'e all volunteers, you know, with other commitments and jobs. However, I have put your suggestion up for consideration.
How about starting a thread for jokes in the Social Room?
 
Wonderful! I did not know we HAVE a "Social Room." LOL I am technically challenged, in spite of having a bionic knee!
 
The Social Room is here:
Social Room
Its purpose is this, "General discussions about other things unrelated to hips or knees. Includes Games Room."
 
Ha haaa, Oh Celle, thank you! I never even noticed that spot before.
 
Long morning, at hospital from 8 AM to 1 PM. Pre Op Testing, Joint Camp, and then met with Pain Management.

I feel MUCH better going in to this second surgery, now. First, we all know every knee is different, and I may not need any extra help this time around. But if I do, Pain Management has my story, will be in to see me several times starting at surgery. They will have THREE plans - A, B and C - to call on as needed. And they have me starting Lyrica tonight, twice a day, for the next 2 weeks. That means 1 week pre op and 1 week post op. Pain Doc said this in itself may be enough to calm things.

I feel at least now if I do have pain issues, someone has my back!

The Pre Op nurse has not been able to find anyone who does either T Touch, or Reiki. While it would have been nice, I think I have the most important piece covered - pain management.

Pain Doc kept all my handouts (I did a Show and Tell ha haaa, using the pain chart from the library on here, and the related materials, plus info from The Highly Sensitive Person by Elaine Aron). I told her (referring to that pain chart) that I was right down the left side last time. I would very much like to be on the right side this time. But if we can't get there, just dose me up and let me sleep through the 5 days of pain! I do not need to experience that level of pain again. She laughed and said with 3 plans, we should manage things well and I won't have to be Rip Van Winkle for 5 days.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Way to go! You've done a wonderful way of advocating for yourself. You brought them something in black and white that helps doctors understand what you are actually experiencing. That's why in many hospital rooms theses days you'll see pain scales from 1-10 with facts next to them so patients can easily answer the 'how much pain do you have' question.
 
You impress me. I hope I have your initiative talking to the medical staff. Wishing you a successful surgery and a smooth recovery with only a little pain (if that is possible).
 
Thank you both Floridagal, when you have pain which seems it will blow off the top of you head, you get very motivated to work to prevent it happening a second time!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom