Guest viewing is limited

Bilateral TKR Get a *good* recliner (if you can!)

As far as the knees recovering differently, here’s what one of our members said:

“I watched a bilateral knee replacement when I was a nursing student. The patient happened to be a neighbor. It was quite a comfort to him that I was there. I was not that physically close to the surgical area because that's a super-sterile area. They wear space suits so they're not even breathing near the wound. I was by the patient's head. They did the left knee first and then the right, which went easier because they'd figured out the correct components on the left which means there was more tourniquet time, more putting on and taking off of components, and generally tweaking of the artificial joint on the left. So it was no surprise that the patient's right knee recovered more easily and with less swelling. Who knows how much each of our knees get tweaked and manipulated during the surgery, resulting in more tissue trauma?”

And, I wonder if you’re seeing what looks like going backwards because maybe you're feeling a bit better and are more active, and this one knee is not as ready for that as you thought. You are still in very early days of recovery.

Thanks Jockette! Interesting take. I picked a guy who's done 6,000+ of these, but possibly every single person's limbs are different and it took some jiggering with lefty that helped him get righty more easily. I should've asked him which he did first. I know they were both opened at the same time (I have the picture to prove it! :) ) but not sure which one he started on with the actual carpentry.

I've ceased my home routines for now and I'll see what the in-person PT says on Monday. I've heard horror stories about muscles, tendons, and other tissues not healing properly because of neglecting PT. But one day at a time I guess!!
 
SusieShoes and Jockette left you great advise @buckyswider. It definitely sounds like lefty isn't ready for those exercises. I only had one knee done but I would have been relegated to the recliner wit ice for at least three days had I done the exercises you are at the same point in recovery. I think righty is making the patience required for recovery more difficult by setting unrealistic expectations. You have one superstar on your hands (well legs :heehee: ) and one run of the mill knee that will need more time and a gentler approach to reach the same goals.

Thanks for the reply! I was doing all this on day 4! Worked pretty well up until about day 28...

Yep, righty is the gold standard. I wish lefty would play along! And interestingly, I happened to walk past a full length mirror and yes, righty is VERY NOTICABLY much more swollen than lefty. I would think that the "good" knee would be the less swollen one, but that's not the case. Wonders never cease!!
 
This is a British point of view, specifically from God's Own county of Yorkshire, where we are famous for not wasting money. We've got 5 recliners, all bought second hand. Or from charity shops. The last 2 seater electric recliner cost about 90 dollars, and a single recliner about 50 dollars. Both Lazy Boys. There's another lazy boy recliner on sale locally on Facebook marketplace for 35 dollars.
So the point of this is dont forget the secondhand market!

Oh, I definitely checked the used market. Nothing really that would've passed the "style" test. And truth be told, I don't know what I would've done it something had- I would definitely need an in-person test drive to see how well it did in the sleep position, BUT the big problem would be getting it home and in the house. Not the ideal time for me to play moving guy! So I'm not sure what would've happened had I seen something suitable from a private seller. But yep, the used market it great for stuff like this!!
 
I've heard horror stories about muscles, tendons, and other tissues not healing properly because of neglecting PT.
Where have you heard these stories?

We have members who don’t do a formal PT routine and have excellent outcomes, here’s my favorite:

This is what one of our members, TortiTabby, experienced:

(Just so you know, ADL means Activities of Daily Living.)

“At my six week appointment this is what my OS wrote in my visit summary: "She reads an online website called Bone Smart which states to not push through pain following knee replacement. If she were to follow this direction, she will have to learn to live with a knee that only reaches to 85 degrees of flexion. I believe this website is very misleading."
It has now been 20 weeks and all I do is ADL and this is what my ROM has done:
3.5 wks: 75
6 wks: 85
7 wks: 90
10.5 wks: 95
14 wks: 100
17 wks: 105
20 weeks (where I am today): 110
I am so thrilled it keeps improving and improving and I know now that I will get to my goal of 120 (or even better, dare I say!) :egypdance:
So, if a OS or PT bullies you into thinking your ROM will not improve over time they are wrong. By the way, I haven't been back to see the OS since that horrible appointment at 6 weeks, but I sure am going back when I reach 120 just to say, "Ha! You were wrong, BoneSmart was right!" :yes:“

And,

“Just an update for those who are apprehensive about gaining ROM:
It has now been 26 weeks and all I do is ADL and this is what my ROM has done:
3.5 wks: 75
6 wks: 85
7 wks: 90
10.5 wks: 95
14 wks: 100
17 wks: 105
20 weeks: 110
26 weeks (where I am today): 120!!!
I did it! My goal of 120! No "pushing through pain", no PT after the first 3 visits, and most importantly to me: No MUA! My surgeon who said I would never get beyond 85 ROM without pushing through pain was wrong, wrong, wrong. I'm excited to see if it gets even better. :happydance: “
 
Of course, we don’t want you to sit around and do nothing all day while in recovery, but it isn’t necessary to “work hard” at this rehab, especially in the early days and weeks of healing.

Regaining our ROM/Strength is more about Time than repetitions of a list of exercises.

Time to recover.
Time for pain and swelling to settle.
Time to heal.

Our range of motion is right there all
along just waiting for that to happen so it can show itself.

In the general run of things, it doesn't need to be fought for, worked hard for or worried about. It will happen. Normal activity is the key to success.

People are all different, as are the approaches to this recovery and rehab. The key is, “Find what works for YOU.“ Your doctor(s), physiotherapist(s) and BoneSmart are here to help, but you are the final judge as to the recovery approach you choose.
 
Normal, day-to-day activities is all I did to rehab after all 12 of my knee surgeries. No PT and no exercises. I lived alone and had to take care of myself, my house and yard. These were my PT and exercises. Both of my knees are still doing just fine.

There is no need to punish yourself with aggressive exercises. Just use your knees the way God intended for it to be used. As you use them they will continue to get stronger and improve their ROM. There is no time limit for your ROM to improve.
 
I'm not here to tell anyone what they need, but I will share what I needed :) :-) (:

I'm a tall person. I get tired at night. I've been living with sore knees and hips for 10 years. So I have recliners everywhere. In my bedroom, there is one that reclines without bumping the wall behind it. Great for small spaces! In my TV room, I have a very expensive Zero Gravity Relax the Back recliner. OMG, I love that thing with a passion. When I can't sleep, I just get my blankie and make the room really dark, put white noise on my phone, and I'm out! Third, in my living room, I have a normal recliner that basically pushes back with no handle on the side. It is an elegant "Queen Anne" piece of furniture that you would never know is a recliner. I resumed working online 3 weeks after BTKR and I could never have done it without this recliner. Looks good online, too.

Bottom line: If one recliner is good, why not 3?
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom