Gearing Up for Round Two

Liberal Arts College

Legacy kid! I see. (I have done some college counseling on the side...natural curiosity).

Sigh... Harvard sure has brand recognition, but I don’t really fit the type. It’s so long ago now, it almost seems like it happened to someone else :).
 
Last edited:
Ha, ha--got it, @Ptarmigan! Agree with you regarding an LAC education. Bigger colleges and universities with graduate programs do often short change their undergraduates. And, college is equally distant for me, and I don't feel I fit the Swats mold, either. I did get a good education although I went from me being a really smart kid to completely middle of the road student struggling to keep up--so hard to compete with all those east coast private and boarding school kids!

Feeling better today, so maybe the Aleve is having more far reaching effect. I hate taking medication but I do allow myself one dosage every other week. It allowed me to go to my Pilates class yesterday and, while I can't do all the exercises, especially those involve serious hip contortions (my words, I am not sure instructor would agree), I was able to get in some good stretching and strengthening. And in the afternoon I was able to curl up and read for a few hours which was a real treat. Will try to do my home PT exercises today and see how that feels. If I am feeling really strong, I may try to hit the gym for a 30 minute slow trudge on the elliptical. With sitting being so much more challenging these days (as opposed to hip #1, where walking was definitely more uncomfortable) doing slow, and perhaps more, cardio seems reasonable. But with the up and down of hip pain, an assessment of one's ability and pain levels needs to be done daily, and the schedule adjusted accordingly. So, onwards!
 
Hello :wave: Happy Friday to you!
I too only allowed myself an OTC pain reliever dose once every other week, as crazy as that sounds to most.
I kept track of dates in my phone. I don't like medication of any kind and if I can stay away from it, I'm all the happier. Aleve was also my OTC of choice and I did notice that it's effect seemed to linger the next day. I believe it's because you move more freely after you take it, and due to that you're probably feeling more limber, less stiff the following day, unless you really over do it.
Have a good one!
@Barbaraj
 
Oh, that is interesting, @Layla, that you and I used (did it last time, too) and use the same medication schedule before surgery! And I think your speculation regarding the day after effects of medication are also interesting and correct. It is surprising to me that I feel so much better today, and yet the effects of Aleve, I know, are only supposed to last for 12 hours and I'm long past that this morning. Whatever--I'll take it!
 
I am so glad you mentioned your two hips have complained very differently (one while walking, one while sitting)! Sometimes, I read pre-op posts on BoneSmart, and my private reaction to descriptions of activities so far beyond my ability is: “Is pain tolerance a superpower? ‘Cause I am pretty sure I don’t have it.”

So...now I understand why we don’t compare! Okay... I admit, I was a little slow on the uptake, but better late...Pre-op side, we’ve all got our own “special” blend of symptoms, with both commonality and variance.

And, I totally agree, it’s a moving target, day to day, to adapt to whatever new distress signal our compromised joint(s) sends. A good friend chastised me lovingly, a while back. She reminded me this hip has been a stalwart friend for lo these many years, and perhaps deserved a little gratitude and cooperation from me, instead of impatience and resentment. Which means, I think, I have to listen to the distress signals, offer comfort, and cooperate with the limits my old friend has these days.

So...that’s my philosophy meditation for today :).

As far as your reluctance to medicate, I certainly sympathize. I have a tried a few things for my hip pain, and the thing that works best is sleep. Next best is resting the hip. And then comes 8-hour extra strength Tylenol, which I take consistently to keep the drug at a therapeutic level. Good days, I wake up relaxed and comfortable. At some point during the day, I exceed my “pitch count”, and then the day is kaput. If I overdo, the pain wins, and a bad cycle of sleep deprivation and increased pain gets started. I don’t think I could sleep now without Tylenol, so it’s the lesser of two evils. (My primary and PT recommended I stop NSAIDs.)

My DD bought me a new swim ensemble (from Athleta): swim shorts and built-in bra tankini. The shorts will cover either incision (approach still undecided) without worries about elastic in a tender place. The tankini is au courant, and the built-in bra will be a confidence builder in public. It arrives today or tomorrow and then we’ll be off to see which of the local pools will be most helpful in terms of access and classes. Wish me luck!

It’s just one adaptation after another, isn’t it?
 
Ah, a cloudy morning but nothing on my agenda today except do some PT exercises and hoof up to the grocery store at some point for milk. Even though it's just my husband and me in the house, we still go through a gallon of milk every week to week and a half and between that and bread, I'm always making zips to the store. I am sure our morning lattes, plus a love for cereal and milk are responsible, but it is almost as much as we went though when kids were at home. I think maybe as we're making lattes at home much more (when we worked, a swing through Starbucks on our way to work was a requirement) we use up a lot more milk, but maybe it's not so bad. My mother had osteoporosis by her mid-60's and although we're much the same build, I don't--knock on wood--have it so far. Probably all that milk, and probably the fact that I get lower body workouts regularly on cardio equipment. On the other hand, neither of my parents as far as I know had osteoarthritis, so I clearly didn't completely dodge the bullet on health issues!

Oh, @Ptarmigan, impressed that you're thinking of donning a bathing suit and hitting a pool! I own a bathing suit, but it gets used maybe once a year, on a family vacation. But this year we're skipping that vacation so there will be NO occasion when I will put on a bathing suit! To say I am self-conscious about wearing a bathing suit is an understatement. I'm lucky that I am tall, and fairly slim, but I've inherited my mother's dreadful varicose veins, which are exponentially worse these days due to aging and having a baby at 45. I am all covered up, all the time, these days. But your new bathing suit sounds cute, and I hope it looks good and you'll enjoy wearing it! PS While I admire your philosophy regarding "being kind to that fadin hip that's served you so well", I can't adopt it--I am just mega-annoyed that both of 'em are so trashed. I have tried so hard, my entire life, to "do good" in terms of healthy living--diet, exercise, weight management, etc.--and yet I couldn't avoid hip osteoarthritis and surgery. When I wailed about this to my OS he said, "well, if you hadn't behaved yourself you'd have been in here 10 years earlier" which was pretty cold comfort.
 
Ah, me, I am having one of those "Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Days", and what better place to complain than Bonesmart, and thus save my long suffering husband from the mutterings of whiny wife.

I woke up this morning and as I rolled out of bed and into my bathrobe I realized two things: (1) I had a hamstring pull in my right "good" leg, and (2) my left hip was feeling, even more than usual, like an artic glacier, where bits crumble off and are painfully crunched up with each step I take. I hobbled slowly downstairs to grab the newspaper from the driveway and make myself morning latte, and then settled into a cushy chair. Of course, I have to constantly shift and move about in the chair as my left hip loathes soft chairs and I can never get really comfortable. But who reads the Sunday paper sitting on a straight ladderback chair?!

The first section of the paper I open is "Parade" magazine, with a picture of the actress, Sigourney Weaver, on the cover. I note she is the same age as me but looks a good 20 years younger, probably due to a bit of "work", the wonders of Photoshop or maybe just fabulous genes. Oh, the unfairness of it all! Sitting there twitching in my bathrobe, my hair awry and my readers perched on the end of my nose, I felt old, stiff, old, and grouchy--oh, and old!

Trying not to be completely controlled by my crabby mood, I eventually got dressed, slowly did my morning PT exercises (absent any sort of hamstring stretching) and then hit the gym to do 30 minutes of slow, trudging cardio. Home now, still feeling stiff and uncomfortable and grouchy. I know I'm lucky that I'm not completely disabled like so many are before surgery, and other than aching, to a greater or lesser extent 24/7, I'm still able to get up and about my daily routines. But, like most folks facing hip surgery, there are days like this one when you ache worse than usual, and just feeling like grumbling.

But I will shut up, and try to find a distraction. It is sunny outside so maybe a bit of yard pick up is in order. Happy Sunday!
 
Wishing you a brighter Monday! How aggravating of that hamstring to pick this moment to misbehave! I hope it settles down promptly. Immediately, in fact. But just in case immediately isn’t soon enough, I hope you can find an uplifting change of pace today - a visit with a friend, a bouquet of posies, a stroll through the Tea Garden - that will chase your grumbles away.
 
Thanks, @Ptarmigan. Still moving slowly this morning, but it's my son's birthday today, and we're taking him and his girlfriend out to dinner so that should be fun (except for the sitting too long in chairs--always a dicey proposition). But it is a nice day out there--the birds woke me up this morning around 5:30 as we keep our bedroom window open--and sunshine is now nicely pouring over lawns and hardscapes. Can't be too grumpy on a lovely day like this!
 
Hi @Barbaraj ... just wanted to say hi ... am happy to learn that you attended college in my neck of the woods. I live in Philadelphia and small world ... the swing dance community I so love ... includes ... students from Swarthmore, which apparently has a great Swing Dance club. Small world. You got real attention from faculty members--great place ... beautiful campus ...

Glad you are enjoying the day. Oh ... I was at a wedding this past weekend. Saturday night, I danced for hours with all the young people. (It was my college roommate's daughter who was getting married.) I took Alleve afterwards and felt fine on Sunday morning.
 
Last edited:
Wow, @Going4fun, a small world indeed! Funny that some students are involved with your swing dance community. Even when I attended, there were always students involved in some form of dance. I have two left feet, so it wasn't ever an activity for me, but it was a good school, great instructors and beautiful campus.

Glad you had a fun weekend, dancing and celebrating--nothing like a wedding reception and a bit of music to bring out all the dancers to the floor! Sunny here again today in the PNW, need to get out and do some weeding today.
 
Tired and cranky tonight, hip is so achy and sore. My husband had a party to celebrate his (alleged) retirement last night and I got us a hotel room--at the cheapest, nonrefundable rate--so we could party and then not have to drive home afterwards. But, hubby foiled plans as he scheduled himself for an 8:30 board meeting for a school district so, after walking me back to the hotel, he left for his office, to read meeting materials and go to the meeting. So, I got to hang out in our swank hotel room by myself and watch mindless TV--heavy sigh. Good news is that yesterday it was 95+ degrees here in the PNW and, boy, did I appreciate that air conditioned room last night. But slept wretchedly (mattress too soft, pillows were dreaded down ones where your head immediately sinks down to the level of the mattress--argh) and woke up feeling tired, grumpy and sore. Dragged my tush to Pilates but unable to do several of the exercises, then came home and lay around all afternoon. Well, guess I'll sleep pretty well tonight. It is "one of those days" leading up to surgery when you think that it can't happen too soon--I want the darn procedure like yesterday. Grrrr...
 
Last edited:
Yes, those days do come up where you just want to call the doctor and ask if they are sure there is no cancellation for tomorrow. That was what I told my OS when they asked me when I wanted the surgery- I said yesterday. Giving yourself a lay around day once in a while is a good thing.
 
Yes, those days do come up where you just want to call the doctor and ask if they are sure there is no cancellation for tomorrow. That was what I told my OS when they asked me when I wanted the surgery- I said yesterday. Giving yourself a lay around day once in a while is a good thing.
You too? Me too! I wanted to call today for a tomorrow surgery.. Its the weekend.. yes that desperate
 
Tired again this evening, but blame that partly on the fact that--horror of horrors--I never got around to doing any exercise today. We had a memorial service this morning, for the wife of one of my husband's law partners. It was intended as a "celebration of life" and it was, but also terribly sad to hear her daughter, probably in her late 20's and just having had a baby, choke and weep as she read her prepared remarks which could be summed up as a heartbroken cry, "oh, I miss my mother so". I had to stand during the remarks, there weren't enough chairs in the house where it was held, and there were several folks speaking besides her daughter. Everyone was commenting with love and real affection about someone who is sorely missed by her family and friends. She died of cancer, in her late 50's, taken far too soon. My left hip was screaming by the end, the event went on far longer than I'd anticipated, but I just gritted my teeth and tried to walk away slowly and with a bit of dignity. Sure, I have a broken hip, but my heart is intact. It was just so hard to watch that young woman valiantly struggle and know how unbelievably sad she must have been, yet unwilling to completely break down as she clearly wanted to honor and praise her mother, who sounded like a remarkable woman. I could only respond by putting my discomfort firmly aside as I said goodbye.

We got home, threw back some lunch, and then immediately set out for a nearby mall because my husband just bought a new car and apparently the old cell phones we both have won't sync to the car. As the screen on my old phone was cracked, I was ready for a new one anyway, but I find shopping for any sort of technology to be intimidating and stressful. We hit one store and were referred to another, and after waiting for the information from my old phone to be transferred to the new phone, we weren't home until later in the afternoon when I am at my lowest ebb in terms of energy and motivation. Just couldn't muster any enthusiasm for doing much of anything except vegging out. We reheated Thai food from last night's dinner out, and I've already changed into my night clothes. Hip is still throbbing and no comfortable positions really. I may be forced to take an Aleve before bedtime. Yes, @leejaa and @mainegirl1, today is another day of wishing that I could get moved up on the surgical list. Late in May I was offered an early cancelation slot for June 3, but my husband's retirement party (despite the fact he's still working part-time!), a surprise party (6 days after what would have been the rescheduled date) and one for which his office had gone to a lot of trouble, would have had to be scrapped. I hope saying no to an earlier surgery doesn't mean I won't be offered another cancelation if one comes up.
 
You could always call to say you are still interested in an earlier surgery date because the pain is not tolerable. Mine has gone way downhill in the last week and I will call tomorrow..
 
Thanks, @mainegirl1. I did tell them I would still like to be on the cancellation list—just worried that having turned one date down I will go to the bottom of the list! But you can be sure if offered an earlier date again, I would take it in a heartbeat!
 
You are a trooper to go to the store after that morning. Definitely see if they can move you up- nothing to lose in asking. Hope tomorrow is a better day for you.
 
Oh dear, @Barbaraj , it sounds like an emotionally and physically draining day, one I imagine would require “vegging” whether you had an end-stage hip or not. It’s clear from your schedule that many rely on your presence whether it is to sweeten a celebration or provide comfort in difficulty. Stoic endurance, however, is no substitute for tender self-care, and recharging is often the most productive choice when pain and insomnia leave you short-changed on rest. Something about the oxygen mask...

We have a family tradition (superstition, perhaps) for funerals. We leave candy, and a pot of water/hand towel outside the door. Before we come into the house, we rinse and dry our hands, and eat the candy. It’s a moment of mindfulness, to replace the bitterness of grief, and begin the day again.

I am sending you a virtual care package; in it you will find something that tastes sweet, something that smells heavenly, something that looks beautiful, something that feels soft, and something that brings you a perfect moment of peace.
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom