Gearing Up for Round Two

How nice to get a message from you, @Going4fun! Nice to hear from folks who were around from my hip #1. And, of course, I appreciate your kind words about my decision to move ahead now with a surgery date rather than play Russian Roulette with this bum hip which, although not as bad as my right one was before my first surgery, is still achy and uncomfortable and getting worse. It's now a level 4 (was at the 3 level last year) so it's clearly deteriorated and, as we all unfortunately know, it ain't getting better on its own! Sounds like so far you've avoided any real discomfort--knock on wood--but are committed to jumping on the problem if that inching up becomes more serious. Otherwise, I hope things are going well for you, and you're back dancing and enjoying life!
 
I am feeling discouraged, as if my body has let me down, although I know that is foolish thinking... I just thought I'd have more time to enjoy a fully repaired hip #1 before looking at having to deal with hip #2.

Hi @Barbaraj , I had two sequential thrs within six mos and felt the same way, seemed like it would never end but it does! Both of mine were bad off, femur heads wedged in the sockets. Ouch. So I buckled down for the long haul.

I had lived a clean, very active lifestyle my entire life and was convinced I had pushed myself too hard and caused OA. However, OS pointed out that many pro athletes *do not* get OA. Said many patients likely have a genetic component, either a mild deformity in the cartilage itself or a structural fault that advanced uneven wear.

Healing from the first got hijacked by the remaining bad hip. Good part is you've had time to recover from the first and will go into the second one strong, with less fear of the unknown.

Felt my second one was smoother in some ways and healed more quickly, I also had more patience with it and let it do its thing. I didn't really do PT for the second, other than mild stretches. Healing with one good hip will be a nice treat you didn't have with the first which makes a big positive difference. It's a great relief to be done and dusted and wish you a smooth second thr.
 
Last edited:
@Barbaraj, I'm slowly returning to dancing ... Frankly it's been a schedule problem ... and the PT I'm doing is really challenging ... in a good way! ... What I have been doing is walking a lot ... and running some outside ... I have not run outside in nearly a decade, I would imagine. Maybe after my hip problem first surfaced, I moved to the treadmill ... which is much softer on the joints ...

But running outside is much more of a meditation--so much more relaxing and restorative--not to mention efficient because I don't have to drive to the gym, walk the half-mile to my locker, change ... walk the 1/4 to the workout room and so on ... (I exaggerate of course). I just change clothes, put on my shoes and I'm out the door.

This past week, I jogged outdoors (mostly quite slowly) three times ...mixing jogging with running ... building up my body and lungs for the demands of outdoors.

I'm a teacher, and school is soon out ... and I'm marking my summer calendar with dance fun. Like you, when my next hip acts up, I'm definitely scheduling surgery much faster than I did this time.
 
Thanks for sharing your story, @Horseshoe It must feel great to have both hips fixed and now turn your focus on your "real" life without all that hip nonsense. I totally agree that it is emotionally wearying to be constantly focused on your body. With a posting from my first hip surgery, I think I mentioned that complete healing, for me, will be when I don't even think about my hips anymore! Nice to hear you felt healing went more smoothly with your second hip replacement. I am hoping that given my relatively uneventful, steady and smooth first recovery, my experience will be much the same this second and FINAL time. I did get back into PT as soon as I was released, at six weeks following surgery, but the PT folks I see are knowledgeable and had me in as good shape as possible prior to that surgery, so I was hoping they could help me regain strengthen and agility afterwards as well. Unfortunately, with my other hip's rapid deterioration it wasn't to be, so I got "fired" until after I have this second surgery. Glad it all turned out well for you and all I can say is "me, too, please!"

Running, @Going4fun? Wow, I can't imagine running. I was never a runner to begin with, although I appreciate walking, getting outside for some fresh air and sunshine. But I can't see myself ever having an interest in running. But I am glad that it works for you--that's the key for all of us, I think, figuring out what works best for you, what you like and what you'll stick with over the long haul. Keep up the good work!
 
@Barbaraj I am four days from my RTHR. At 44 I was not prepared for the diagnosis and the prospect of surgery. After my first surgeon told me the news my husband took me to lunch and I had a huge margarita *not a day drinker. My left is also actually worse than my right but my cartilage is all torn up on the right and the left sometimes even hurts worse (it just depends). I appreciate your post as I know I will be following in your footsteps. I never imagined I would be putting together a portable commode on my son’s 18th birthday, but it is what it is and I will be glad to be out of pain so I can keep up with them for the years to come.
 
Yup, @Chaotic, I totally remember that stunned feeling I got when my OS told me that my right hip was toast, and hip replacement was really the only effective response for dealing with ongoing pain and aching. I recall coming home from his office, plopping myself on my bed and wailing out loud at the unfairness of it all! But, you do want to get this done and keeping up with your kids, and grandkids someday, is a wonderful goal to keep in mind as you approach your surgery and recovery.
 
It is a Tuesday morning here in the PNW and although the start to the day was cloudy, the sunshine is finally peeking through the clouds. I am hopeful that the sunshine will take over completely at some point, and it will warm up sufficiently that tonight's dinner guests can sit outside before dinner for cocktails and appetizers. With an aching hip, I've tried to be a bit more sensible about entertaining these days, trying not to make all the food myself (standing in the kitchen preparing foods can be tiring even under normal circumstances) and several items on the menu are "store bought", as my mama used to say. But, the lovely thing about most dinner guests is that they are pleased simply to be here, not having to prepare or clean up after the meal, and presumably all set to simply enjoy the company of friends! Slept horribly the night before, so last night--my usual pattern--I fell asleep easily. Sure, I woke up around 5:30 when the birds outside started chirping (the downside of opening one's window at night for the lovely coolness and fresh air) but stayed in bed until 6:15 when it became obvious that my hip had had enough and it was time to get up. Another day in the neighborhood, another day closer to surgery--although August still seems far off to me. But, one day at a time, right?
 
Lovely to see you making the best of things as you wait for your surgery! You have such a great attitude.
Enjoy your dinner tonight!
 
@Barbaraj Nothing wrong with "store bought"! It's all about enjoying the company of friends. Hope that hip gives you a bit of a break tonight. Enjoy your entertaining!
 
Thanks, @Jaycey and @Elf1 I appreciate the reminders regarding friendship being the most important thing on display and the food, even if some of it's not homemade, being entirely secondary to a nice evening with good friends. Taking a pause this afternoon to check in, guests arrive shortly so I need to hustle down and fuss in the kitchen in a little while. My approach to dinner parties is to make sure there are some delicious appetizers and at least one strong cocktail before dinner--even my most dreadful meals don't look half bad through a cheerful alcoholic haze! Since I am trying a brand new entrée recipe tonight (hey, why not?!) it will be particularly important to have folks relaxed and cheery by the time we sit down to dinner.
 
Hope your dinner party went well - and most importantly your hip gave you a bit of a break during all the activity.
 
Hope you had a grand time! I actually made honey sesame Tofu last night ...First time and my hubby actually chowed it all down.. I don't think I told him what it was.....
 
A quiet morning so far, a misty start to the day, but allegedly sun returning later today followed by late afternoon showers. Oh, well--yesterday afternoon was beautiful and we were able to entertain our guests on our back deck, soaking in the sunshine and chatting away before dinner. Dinner, thankfully, turned out pretty well. I tried a new recipe for the main course (vegetarian korma) which was delicious, I thought, and everyone seemed pleased and ate heartily. You are lucky your husband will eat tofu, @mainegirl1, my husband loathes it and I am sure I could only serve if blended and disappearing into a sauce or something. But honey tofu sesame sounds yummy to me!

Thanks for the good wishes, @Jaycey. Hip held out reasonably well although sitting at a dinner table for hours is tough. Sitting really any amount of time is rough! I twisted and fidgeted mostly, and I was able to get up periodically and walk into the kitchen to get various things. But, by the end of the evening I was aching. Husband generously said he'd handle the dinner party clean-up so I headed up to bed. Unfortunately, with an aching hip plus still being a bit wired from entertaining, I found it difficult to get to sleep and woke up several times during the night. But, as always, this means tonight I'll probably sleep well--it's a predictable pattern with me.

Off to the gym this morning to work out some of the kinks. Key is to just keep moving on, some activity every day does help me. Sure, I'm not setting any records on the cardio equipment, but I'm definitely in the camp of "slow and steady wins the race".
 
Last edited:
It sounds like a very nice evening! I must say, these long days in the PNW are the very best part of year for me - and those patio evenings are a delight to be savored. It’s so nice to hear about the lovely activities you are enjoying - even in “modified” fashion - as it might take you longer to replenish your energy after a bigger effort like entertaining. But these delightful evenings are on offer now and won’t wait for new hip hardware, so “cheers!” to you!
 
I agree, @Ptarmigan, this time of year I am so very glad I live here in the PNW. I've lived on the east coast some in childhood, and then for college and a few years after, but I was born here and this is where I'm staying! Oh, and all four kids and grandkids are here as well, a powerful incentive even it weren't for the fact that I love this part of the US. Are you a Washingtonian, "Born and Bred"?
 
Yes, native Seattleite :). I went to college on the East Coast and couldn’t wait to come home.

No wonder you were looking so sparkly at holiday time with so many children and grandchildren to brighten the festivities! That is true wealth, BarbaraJ. What a wonderful full life and I just bet you need both hips to keep up with all that youthful energy!
 
Quiet start to the day, and feeling tired and a bit achy. I allow myself, every other week, some extra strength Tylenol or an Aleve, when I'm really feeling achy and out of sorts and I popped an Aleve this morning with my morning latte. I suspect between the fatigue of a poor night's sleep and exercising yesterday, I might have overdone things which would account for the soreness this morning. I also have a Pilates class this morning, and I'd like to be able to actually do a few of these exercises instead of lying there panting on the mat! This is one of those days when I feel discouraged and my August surgery seems so far away. I do try to take it one day at a time, but sometimes that one day can feel tough and so long! But, I am also determined to keep moving as I'm convinced that a good recovery from my first surgery was due in part to trying to stay as active as possible leading up to surgery. Trudge, trudge, trudge--let the day begin!

That is cool that you, like me, also traveled over 3000+ miles away from home and went to college back east, @Ptarmigan. What school did you go to? I went to Swarthmore in Pennsylvania, and, oh, I was so homesick that first year! Like you, I couldn't wait to return to the PNW after college, although I put in a few years in NYC before convincing my then husband that it was time to move. There is some appeal, and clear differences, between the two coasts but there is no question where I want to live. The east coast is definitely, "nice place to visit but I wouldn't want to live there". Cheers!
 
Last edited:
Swarthmore! You were a rare PNW student to head that far away and to an LAC...did you go to Bush or St. Nicks? Or maybe have an East Coast relative? You were the beneficiary of an outstanding education, that’s certain.

My daughter went to Wellesley, and her experience confirmed what I have always suspected, which is that I would have been happier at an LAC. I went to Harvard, though - something I don’t typically volunteer - but you asked :)

My time on the East Coast was so important to me from a development standpoint that I urged my daughter to do the same thing (gut wrenching pain at parting notwithstanding). She grew - exponentially - and so, of course, all was well.

I can tell you, though, her Wellesley education - strictly in terms of academic and preprofessional development - outpaced that of her close friends at Brown and Columbia. I realize different students will have different experiences, and yet I still believe that undergrads get the main course at LAC’s, and leftovers at universities, however prestigious.

(End of personal op ed)

Trudge...now there’s a word. This does feel like trudging, uphill, with a badly fitted backpack, and a sprained groin muscle. And it unfortunately doesn’t feel much better when you lie down to rest, which - despite the rational adult brain - still comes as an unpleasant surprise nearly every night. Trudge, indeed! Today, Augusthipsister, showing up isn’t half the battle - it’s the whole shooting match!
 
Last edited:
Okay, @Ptarmigan, I am thick headed this morning--what is LAC? I was in public schools until college, but I was a "legacy brat" at Swats as both my parents went there. Harvard?!! Whoa! Super impressive! Couldn't get any of my kids except the youngest to go out of state. Youngest went to a small college in Florida but couldn't wait to get back home to the PNW. Must be in our DNA.
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom