Guest viewing is limited

TKR Gazza's Recovery

I’m with Deb….I used to get up in the night and do about 5 minutes on the exercise bike. Only then could I get back to sleep. I also used a heating pad on my lower back which seemed to help with the zingers and restless legs.
 
The zingers have gone (touch wood) since last Thursday and my need for painkillers during the day is zero.
I've started doing step-ups and walking alongside my normal routine but I can't do anymore than 5 step-ups or 5 minutes walking before my knee starts to swell and get sore. I rest for a day and do lots of icing.

Yesterday I started back driving; my left leg is my clutch leg. I didn't feel anything amiss during the drive but later that evening I got a tingling/burning sensation on the lower inside part of my left knee that couldn't be fixed with ibuprofen or paracetamol. Icing helps a little. After a rough broken night, I woke up with minor hip pain on the left which comes and goes throughout the day.
I found that wearing my old elasticated knee brace helps a bit. I'm doing my exercises as usual.

I'm hoping, like the zingers, that these new pains are short lived.
 
This is great progress. It’s pretty typical to feel fine when doing a new activity only to see pain and swelling later. As you’ve found, that’s your body’s signal that it may not be quite ready for that level of movement so soon. Resting and icing for a day or two afterwards is appropriate and then you can try again when you feel ready for a little challenge. Recovery is all about the balance of activity and rest and a gradual introduction of challenges as you go along. Keep in mind that you’re still early in this process and patience will be your best friend for a while.
 
It sounds like you got this! When I started a new activity and had pain that night, I'd take the next day off and do nothing but my daily activities. This worked well for me. You might want to give it a try.
 
You're moving right along, Gazza :yay: Yay!
Zingers disappearing and back behind the wheel again is good news. Your hip was likely hurting after driving from using muscles that may still be weak, or tight, post op. We sit differently in a car also the we do in a chair at home. Hopefully some rest and ice has helped and you can ease into the amount of time you spend behind the wheel slowly. Happy Wednesday!
@Gazza
 
My sleep has improved greatly due to a combination of sticking to a fixed bed time and pain management. I went back to my old sleep time at 9pm and using Volatarol with 400mg ibuprofen just before bed. It's taken about 10 days to settle. I've given up on all sleeping aids.

I've taken up walking and driving (non-automatic car) daily which really works the new knee.

My physio loves pushing the envelope and I push back gently by not doing as many reps as she would recommend or I'll reduce hold times. I also ice as is needed.

My current exercises are:
  • SLR
  • Calf Raises
  • Bridging for stabilization of the hip
  • Sit to stand from chair
  • Stepping forward
  • Single Leg balance
  • Tandem walking
 
using Volatarol with 400mg ibuprofen just before bed
Please be very cautious about using these medications together. They are both NSAIDs (Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs) and taking them together increases your risk of gastrointestinal side effects such as inflammation, bleeding, and ulceration.

If you want to use the gel, switch to paracetamol, which works in a different way and won't cause that interaction.
Also, it is always best to consult your healthcare provider before combining any medications.
 
Great progress, Gazza!
Moving right along.:walking:
Happy Two Month Anniversary! Take care and have a nice weekend. :SUNsmile:
@Gazza
 
Hello and Happy Three Month Anniversary, Gazza!
We haven't heard from you in a few weeks. Hopefully you're doing well, making steady progress and feeling stronger month by month. Let us know how recovery is going for you when you have the time. Until then, wishing you the best! :SUNsmile:
@Gazza
 
It's been a while since I've updated.

A month back I went to my doctor to explain that knee pain was preventing me from sleeping and that I was using Voltarol with Ibuprofen without success. He explained that Voltarol has a stimulant effect which would keep me awake. He gave me a script for Vimovo, which I have now finished, to take instead. It helped a lot. Currently I'm on no pain meds.

I'm still doing physio with walking and cycling, and I've got back to most of my gardening and DIY. I still have to watch that I don't overdo anything but recovery is much faster now if I do.

My main issue, which is only partially related, is depression. I find it hard to get out of bed but once I'm up I can go about my day. I think the depression was partially caused by guilt of not doing anything or helping my partner in the earlier days. I've an active person and like helping out, and the gardening year has started so having to sit around for 3 months got to me. I have to forgive myself and let go more.
 
Thanks for the update, Gazza. It's nice to hear you're doing well aside from the depression you mentioned. Recovery does disrupt our normal routine and possibly there was some role reversal early on to keep things running smoothly. My guess is you would do the same for your partner if they were recovering from a major surgery. There are times in our relationships where one carries more than the other. You weren't helping because you were unable to help, not because you were unwilling to help.

Healing from surgery, being less active and struggling with sleep issues and medications can all contribute, but it sounds like things are beginning to fall into place for you and that's a good thing! I do hope you can forgive yourself so you can slowly get back into life and all that you love. I believe this will pass, but don't hesitate to talk to a therapist or engage in a support group if you think it will help. There's no shame in reaching out. We're here for you also if you ever feel the need for support, encouragement or just want to vent.

Take good care and stay in touch!

Post Op Blues article - HERE

@Gazza
 
Happy Four Month Anniversary, Gazza!
Checking in to wish you well as you hit this milestone. Wondering how you're feeling now that another month has passed? Hopefully the depression has lifted, you're making steady progress and slowly getting back to all that you love. Let us know when you have a minute. We'd love to hear from you and we're always here to cheer you on if you're feeling low.
A great rest of the week to you! :SUNsmile:
@Gazza
 
Hello Gazza,
Checking in to see how you're doing...
Hopefully you're feeling better as we enter a new season and you have more healing under your belt.
Wishing you a beautiful Autumn and a Happy Eight Month Anniversary!
@Gazza
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom