THR Gail's smiling ok!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks Gail,

I went to see the musical "Wicked" it's a Broadway show. It's my 3rd time seeing it. One of my favorite shows and I'm paying for it a little now. The ice helped some, but I'm really stiff. I think some stretching will help. I don't have any trouble sitting up in a chair as long as its got a cushy seat and I don't break my 90 degrees. Ice is my best friend and really helps. I had my incision glued together and it looks really cool. I guess I sound like a geek! :) I'm really happy that I made the decision to go for the surgery.

Funny thing happened at the Theatre. I opened the program and on the inside my OS and the hospital had an advertisement showing a dancer from the ballet in D.C. had the Anterior Approach hip replacement surgery and now is back in the ballet. Made me chuckle and feel really comfortable with my choice in the OS. He was highly recommended and does a ton of surgeries per year. I had a spinal for anesthesia. What did you have? I will say it was the best way to go even though I was nervous about this young guy/doctor sticking a needle in my spine. He was great and very friendly. Actually, the entire hospital staff was incredible!!!
 
Yes, I totally agree with Josephine that if you are suddenly experiencing sharp pains, then you need to look at pain med schedule. We are fragile beings at this stage of the game and if you are going to do something extradionary like stand in a shower ( REALLY ) , then you need to pre medicate and then have your spotter standing by. I am very stiff still. Ever time I exercise, I ice down. I spend at least two hours a day with my legs elevated. I do a lot of reading, napping and writing. I will go back to work on Monday for a very short time ( as tolerated). Keep in mind that I have probably the most accommodating work place ever. I work in Assistd Living and they offered me a room for recovery. The key is to know your limits and not expect too much. My husband ( coach) goes along with me to lay down the ground rules. I am still using my crutches as I need to be cleared my my physical therapist to use my cane. I start that on Wednesday. Currently I am taking oxycodone 5 mg, 2 tabs three times daily at post op day 15. I alternate between aspirin and aleve, daily, for an anti inflammatory. Keep the faith and know that your body will tell you what you need. Listen attentively!
 
DoBeck, After rereading your post I figured out that you were talking about a live show. I still haven't seen Wicked! Sorry you are paying the price. I do think that if you really rest and ice tomorrow, your body will eventually forgive you! I had a spinal, also, which I really wanted. I'd had that with my knee as well, and recovered much more quickly with that. Also, the general anesthaesia usually makes me nauseus. {it's impossible for me to spell that word correctly! I had glue with a different surgery once. You will hardly see the scar eventually.

Catherine, I'm taking the same amount of oxycodone as you are, but it's one every four hours. However, I'm also taking the long-lasting oxycontin twice a day, and Celebrex once a day. So that's why I think it's the right amount most of the time! I am very spoiled. I don't work any more, so I can really relax and enjoy taking recouperation at a leisurely pace. I recline frequently as well. I'll be interested to hear how you do with work. I'm sure you'll make wise decisions, with your medical background.
 
Sounds like you have your pain meds and routine well and truly worked out tryingtosmile, and so pleased that you are able to recover at your pace without work interfering.
 
Hi Gail,

I'm surprised your OS gave you so much medication. Mine is not big on narcotics except for the first couple of weeks. The only narcotic I received after the surgery was dilaudid pump for the first 12 hours and then oxycodone 10 mgs every 4-6 hours. I'm down to 5 mgs every 6 hours with one Tramadol every 6 hours now. I will take a Tylenol 650 mgs with the oxycodone. Seems to work for me. It's amazing how every OS is different with the meds. When I was in the hospital the nurse told me one of the OS does not even give the patient a pain pump. He doesn't agree with it. She didn't like it that he did that.

The show was really good and it's worth it to see it if you can. I do feel better today and I do believe you about the ice helping out a lot. Glad to hear about the scar not showing much with the glue. It's going to be mostly hidden so, no one will really know about the surgery unless I'm streaking!!! I don't see that happening. :happydance:
 
I expect my surgeon to discontinue the oxycontin when I see him this week. I'm on 5mg of the oxycodone. I'm not very good at suffering, so I'm glad I have a surgeon who is a little more liberal! Going to start exending the time between pills this week, and see how it goes.
 
I talked with my PT today about all the different meds and she said almost every patient she sees has different prescriptions based on the OS experience on what works for the patient. I didn't realize you were only on 5 mgs of oxycodone with the oxycontin. I started out with 10 mgs of oxycodone and 50 mgs of Tramadol. I didn't like the Tramadol before surgery, but after surgery it helped me more and since they gave it to me in the hospital, I got use to taking it. Kind of made me feel dozy. I'm doing good on the 5 mgs of oxycodone every 6 hours now. If I go over I feel the pain. I'm almost out of the pain medicine and I'm sure the OS won't give me anymore oxycodone. He will tell me to stick with the Tramadol. I think it will be okay.
 
Have you seen your surgeon yet, I was wondering how it went and what he/she said about your pain meds?
 
I expect my surgeon to discontinue the oxycontin when I see him this week. I'm on 5mg of the oxycodone. I'm not very good at suffering, so I'm glad I have a surgeon who is a little more liberal! Going to start exending the time between pills this week, and see how it goes.

Oxycontin and Oxycodone must be a standard type of post-op hip pain control regiment because I was prescribed the exact same meds. However, I had so much constipation my first week that I quickly stopped taking all the Oxy meds . I am only taking Tramadol with Tylenol about every 6 hrs, and it's doing a good job at taking the sharp edge off the pain, and my bowel movements are all back to normal. Those Oxycontins also made me feel itchy for some reason... hope your feeling better as the days go by !

Rich
 
They really warned me in the hospital about the constipation. They gave me Colace and told me to take it at home. This helps a lot to keep you regular. :) I'm trying to take the same Tramadol and Tylenol every 6 hours. My pain is not bad right now, I'm about 18 days out of surgery. I have some pain walking and around the incision area. I think that will be there for awhile. It's not bad and much more tolerable than the pain I had prior to surgery. I'm really surprised you don't really feel the implanted device in your hip. This is an awesome surgery!!!
 
I saw the surgeon on Monday. The staples were removed. Now I have steristrips. I had developed a little redness, heat, itchiness, and swelling there, which had been followed by the visiting nurses. He decided that I might have a little cellulitis, and prescribed Keflex for a week. It's already getting better. I'm just finishing up the Celebrex, and am now just using Oxycodone 5mg every 4-6 hours. It has a little Tylenol in it. I find that very adequate. Pain is not much more than an ache, although it can intensify at night. I'm having the same sensation as dobeck with my walking - just a pain in the butt! I think I'll be using the walker for a while yet, since without it I limp. The pain is different and in a different place from before the surgery. Still doing the constipation wars, but usually I'm winning the battles! :egypdance:

My sister, who is scheduled to come and keep me distracted and entertained, is smack in the middle of where Hurricane Sandy is due to arrive, and her flight is Tuesday. Frustrated that she will probably have her flight canceled, but all we can do it wait and watch. I'm just hoping she will still be rescheduled later in the week.
 
They really warned me in the hospital about the constipation. They gave me Colace and told me to take it at home. This helps a lot to keep you regular. :) I'm trying to take the same Tramadol and Tylenol every 6 hours. My pain is not bad right now, I'm about 18 days out of surgery. I have some pain walking and around the incision area. I think that will be there for awhile. It's not bad and much more tolerable than the pain I had prior to surgery. I'm really surprised you don't really feel the implanted device in your hip. This is an awesome surgery!!!

They sent me home from surgery taking 50mg's twice daily as well, Colace did NOT work for me. I started using Mirilax twice daily and after 2 days..... things finally started moving nicely ! Mirilax is great it's a completely tasteless powder that you mix with cold water, no thick chalky taste either, very easy to drink. Try it if the Colace isn't working well !

Rich
 
TTS, just to help me with another project, can you tell me if they applied the Steristrips across the wound like this?

[Bonesmart.org] Gail's smiling ok!
 
Hi Gail

Will still be ups and downs for a wee while keep taking they meds and icing, I am nearly thirteen weeks in and a bit stiff, takes time for the stiffness to ware off. You will experiance days were you will have little pain then days you will not. Hang in there Gail you will get there.

Billy
 
Thanks, Billy!

Josephine, Yes, they applied the strips like that, although the strips are about twice as wide, and there is just a little space between them.
 
My steri strips were applied just like the pic as well. I also had a HUGE rubber like bandage placed over the incision that actually contained an antiseptic. The awesome thing about the rubber bandages is it allowed me to shower every day without covering the incision with plastic.
 
I was allowed to take a shower as soon as I returned home, with the staples still in. If I had had your bandage, maybe I wouldn't have gotten that infection along the incision.
 
I was allowed to take a shower as soon as I returned home, with the staples still in. If I had had your bandage, maybe I wouldn't have gotten that infection along the incision.

I didn't have staples, as I understand my doctor did internal stitches. I did have a lot of stinging at the incision early on post op when I would roll over in bed. I'm curious if you had the same stinging with external staples ?

Rich
 
I didn't roll on my operated side at all. I probably had that same sensation, although in the hospital I was on several pain meds! I'm still not too comfortable lying on my side.
 
Hello all,

My OS told me I could lay on my surgery side after three weeks, but it's still painful to lay on that side for me too. Not sure when I will be able to lay on it, but I'm tired of sleeping on my back that's for sure.

Gail - I hope your sister can make it in to keep you company. I'm dealing with the storm now and it's really bad here in Baltimore. I'm praying the power doesn't go out right now. It's about to come of shore to my east in a few hours.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom