Guest viewing is limited

PKR fully straight knee

@Princeton
There is no need to worry about your extension. 3 is so close to 0 that you are bound to get there. there's no need to rush to do that. ROM can continue to improve for a year, or even longer after a knee replacement.

So that we can see it at the bottom of every post you make, and thus advise you appropriately, please will you create a Signature, in which you put your knee surgery and its date in full?
Hover over your username, top right of the page, and select Signature from the drop-down box. Enter your surgery details and then save. This article also explains how to do it:
How to create a signature
Thank you. :flwrysmile:
 
@Princeton---unfortunately, there is really nothing you can do to speed up a recovery. Equally unfortunate is the fact that there is plenty that you can do to slow things down even more.

Ironically, working to achieve a ROM at a faster pace slows things down.
[Bonesmart.org] fully straight knee

Patience, Grasshopper, Patience!!!
 
OK maybe i will just hear to have patience again but:

Now six weeks and pain is not improving! Surgeon said 2 weeks ago that all is ok. How do I know what is normal pain or if something is really wrong? Just have tightness and pain on side where I had partial. It is so hard to know what to do!!!! no real change in pain from weeks 4-6 Thanks everyone
 
Now six weeks and pain is not improving!
I think that almost everyone still has pain at 6+ weeks after surgery. Even though you had a partial, not a total replacement, it was still very major surgery. You had skin cut, soft tissues pulled aside, bones sawed and large metal parts hammered and cemented into them. Then everything was put back together again and you were stitched up.

I wonder if someone along the way told you that you would recover fast from a PKR? Unfortunately, some surgeons do give that information, but it's not true. It usually takes just as long to recover from a PKR as from a TKR. Your age doesn't help either. Younger patients don't recover faster, unfortunately.
PKR or TKR, young or old, recovery from a knee replacement is a long process. It's a marathon, not a sprint.

Did you contact your regular doctor, to see if he/she can prescribe a pain medication that is not a strong as the Oxy? I think someone suggested Tramadol as a step-down pain medication. If you can't get that, taking a regular dose of Tylenol, which is an over-the-counter med, can help a lot. The effective dose of Tylenol (Acetaminophen) is 1,000 mg (1G) 4 to 6 hourly, to a daily total of 4,000 mg (4G) in 24 hours. Split that daily dosage into 4 doses.
If any of your other meds contain Tylenol, factor their amount into your calculations of daily maximum dosage.
 
Don't worry about not having 0 extension. I never got to that point during PT with either knee, although my bend was great. Eventually it just came, without me doing anything extra. I'm a walker, and I think walking really made a difference in getting that extension. Of course, you may not do much walking at first, but I highly recommend it when you're up to it.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
I didn't get to 0 extension until 9 months post-op. As everyone has said, it will come.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom