Guest viewing is limited

THR Frustrated

Afraid I'm one of the don't know what it's like brigade @anny, but I'm really pleased to hear that you've come out the other side and are now on the upward trail - if slightly envious! As I said before, you and @AJinNH are my "testers", and so far you haven't failed me! I look forward to reading about both your steady recoveries (you must not let me down! :snork:). By the time I get into theatre you'll both be tripping into the sunlight! Joking aside, I hope you both continue to progress satisfactorily and as painfree as possible (under the circumstances!). :tada:
 
Woohoo! @anny I am so happy and relieved to hear from you. My poor husband didn’t know what had happened when all of a sudden I yelled out “There she is!” :loll:

I’m so sorry you had to experience the nausea and dizziness. I had similar (also despite the patch) and once they changed my meds things got better. The codeine I’m taking will still occasionally make my stomach a bit off, but for the most part it’s good.

It’s good that you’re resting and giving in when tired, you heal when sleeping. Eat protein too, your body needs that to repair itself.

I had a few nights of restlessness, unable to get into a deep restful sleep. I’m happy to report that last night it finally happened and I had a solid sleep, in my bed. And that was after a long 2 hour nap yesterday afternoon. I’m almost giddy this morning.

Things are going great, better than expected. I’ve been dressing and showering on my own daily (except I still need help with my Teds). I’m fully weight bearing and have almost forgot the walker once or twice. My pain level is low and I’m on a relatively low dose of pain meds. PT is impressed with how easily I’m lifting and moving my leg. I’m making sure that they don’t work me too hard and I’m not afraid to speak up if they try to add something that wasn’t on the list the hospital gave to me.

I’m so glad you’re back! :friends:
 
Took me an hour to get to bed tonight, with me giving instructions and sitting on my hands (bless him, he's willing but he isn't a natural Florence Nightingale :sigh:) Hopefully once I've unpacked properly from the hospital the routine willfall into place.....until then there'll be some heated 'discussions'
aaahhh, yes, not everyone is blessed with a live in Florence Nightingale. There will be kitchen cupboards left open (right @Layla ?)....dishes in the sink encrusted with yesterday's flavors....dirty clothes on the floor....repeated instructions on what to separate before doing the laundry....reminders for help to put on your socks before they leave the house and you are on your own...and the most dreaded reminder of all...."please don't pat my butt as you have been accustomed to for all these years as a gesture of love....THAT'S MY INCISION YOU ARE PATTING! ":tantrum:
 
@anny,
You will notice I have moved your most recent thread to the recovery forum, where you will receive more responses to any questions and concerns.
We prefer for you to have one recovery thread.
  • That way, we have all your information in one place. This makes it easier to go back and review your history before providing advice.
  • With your own recovery thread, you will see the posts and advice others have left for you.
  • Having only one thread will act as a diary of your progress that you can look back on.
So please post any updates, questions or concerns about your recovery here. If you prefer a different thread title, just post what you want and we'll get it changed for you.
If you need an urgent response to a question, just tag a member of staff.
How to tag another member; how to answer when someone tags you

Here are the instructions on finding your thread, How can I find my threads and posts? . Many members bookmark their thread, so they can find it when they log on.
 
Good start @anny. I hate the post op nausea. Was not as bad with second hip for me, but more than I wanted. Luckily it settles down. Good luck as you get acquainted with the new hip.
 
:wave:
I only liked grapes for the first days, don't know why?
No taste for anything...
Hope today is better! :yes:
 
Hey @anny
Hope you're settling into a routine at home. It's such a comfort being in your own
space, doing things in your own time without all of the hospital interruptions.
You'll be surprised at how quickly recovery moves. You're dependence on hubby will gradually fade.
Best wishes for your first week back home!

@Bumblee Good memory on the kitchen cabinets.
Yep, hubby doesn't know how to close them.
 
oops no excuse, I've read about it a lot on BS, but I think yesterday I joined the ODIC :whistle: I have remarkably little pain, not sure why (but not complaining either!) and yesterday felt compelled to check the kitchen while Himself was out. A little bit of tidying in there lead to some putting away the laundry (bit tricky on crutches but it's amazing what you can hold in your teeth :loll:) then a few trips up and down the 12 stairs (MUCH easier than I thought it would be) and no ill effects. This morning, it aches slightly more, but no pain.....but I am SO tired, and very slightly nauseous, so had a very quiet day sitting down. It has taken me almost the last hour to get ready for bed, and I feel as if I've had a really hard day.....certainly teaches us more is not better!
 
Easy to slide into that club @anny. I had a lower level of pain with right hip. Pt and home nurse both said it is a mixed blessing. The pain reminds us to take us easy.

Have a good day today and don’t get too creative with chores.
 
It didn't hurt until I stopped, then was too late.
Easy does it Anny, don't make us put you in time out:heehee:
Easy does it today. Do only what you must and rest up.
You'll be back on track in no time.:loveshwr:
 
I’m so glad to see you on this side @anny. I loved your post about your husband! You said it all so well :heehee: They mean well but they do seem to leave a bit to be desired! Mine was right here all the time and did his best to be helpful but it seeemed like he got “burnt out” more quickly than I expected. I just had to remind myself not to overdo and that dishes in the wrong place in the cupboard was fine for a month or so. He did the laundry and then dumped the clean clothes on a spare bed where they stayed. If we needed something, we just took it off the bed :rotfl:. It worked just fine and accomplished what needed to be done but I like to fold them and put them away.

I hope you can avoid the ODIC as much as possible. Your recovery sounds like it is going exceptionally well and I hope that continues. Sending happy healing thoughts and wishes your way :flwrysmile:
 
Not a lot to report today, which is my first week anniversary......potter around a little bit, being careful not to repeat my earlier mistake, but all I seem to have done is sleep.....a couple of hours in the morning, same after lunch, then couldn't wait to go to bed early cos my eyes kept closing. Feel such a lightweight :blush: My upper leg and bum are achey as if they've been massively tensed for hours and there's an occasional dull pain on the outside of my leg when I walk, but all bearable. Sometimes get a hint of what I've read others call the tennis ball sensation.....feels as if there's a hard swelling underneath the dressing, but not all the time. Still slightly 'spaced out' (when not asleep) but that's probably cos I'm not used to meds, and feel very slightly nauseous when it aches, but not enough to take anti-nausea tablets.

@Josephine as I have very low pain levels (1-3/4) should I still be taking meds regularly to keep ahead of the pain? Sometimes I miss them (especially at night) and don't really seem to suffer. But if I don't take them regularly how/when do I start cutting them down? I have paracetamol every 6 hrs, tramadol (just at bedtime cos it makes me a bit woozy), naproxin twice a day, 1/2 zopaclone for sleeping (and aspirin, and anti-nausea as required). I wasn't given any guidance when I was discharged, so a lot of it is guesswork
 
I slept a lot the first week post-op. Pretty much the same during week two as well.

I’ve read on here that when you start forgetting to take a dose of pain meds that’s the time to cut back. I had issues with the pain meds so stopped earlier than most would but I also wasn’t experiencing high pain levels so I did ok.

Sounds like you’re doing great. :)
 
I cut back early as well as I didn’t have high pain levels either. You can call your OS office with any questions on the meds. They should be able to answer and that’s what we pay (or insurance co pays) them the big bucks for! You should call early today so they can get back to you today since the weekend is approaching. Lots of sleep is a good thing those first couple weeks. You are lucky you are sleeping well as some people seem to have a hard time sleeping. Sending more healing thoughts your way.
 
@anny when I wrote my previous post, I wasn’t thinking about your location. I’m sure by the time you read it (or maybe even at the time I wrote it), all dr offices are closed for the day :heehee: so you can call on Monday.
 
My upper leg and bum are achey as if they've been massively tensed for hours and there's an occasional dull pain on the outside of my leg when I walk, but all bearable. Sometimes get a hint of what I've read others call the tennis ball sensation.....feels as if there's a hard swelling underneath the dressing
All of this is post-op pain which means you should be medicating a lot more.
@Josephine as I have very low pain levels (1-3/4) should I still be taking meds regularly to keep ahead of the pain?
Clearly you don't have low pain levels.

I'd really like to offer you some structured advice but in order to do that, I also need to ask you some questions. Are you willing for me to do that?
 

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom