Guest viewing is limited

PKR Freya's Recovery - Second PKR

@Freya34 You are doing so well on your left leg after such a short time ! Good for you.:wowspring:
I an glad you are going to schedule an appointment with your OS to talk about your right leg, that way you should get a definitive answer as to why it’s the way it is. Don’t worry too much about weakness in your right quad, this is something that happens to a lot of people after surgery and for some people it can be over a year before the quad regains full strength. I was told by my PT that there were issues with my quad not working correctly and that the timing was off- I checked with my OS who told me my quad was fine, a little weak but definitely not a problem. I work on my quads by stretching and I also use a Electrical Muscle Stimulation on them as well for about 30 minutes a day. Hopefully you get answers at your next meeting with your OS .
 
I think I'm disappointed at how weak my right quad is because I've spent a lot of time (prior to surgery) doing strenght training and building strong muscles. After the surgery as soon as I was up for it, I slowly started adding weights to my workouts... I thought my quad is getting stronger but it wasn't... not by much.

Shockingly (to me) I was able to slightly lift my left leg up today in PT... my right leg I wasn't able to do that for almost 3 months.

It just shows that all recoveries are different. Even if they are your own limbs haha.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
You may have just overworked your right leg in recovery, thinking that was the way to go, and that’s why it’s “weak.” It is still healing, in this year long, on average, recovery (even for a partial) I had a lot of improvement in my second year post op.
 
There is no guarantee there will be a definitive answer. Sometimes there just isn’t one, or it’s just too early in recovery. Some doctors just don’t keep looking for answers. Been there, done that.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@Freya34 People I know who have had two knees operated on say that both knees seem to recover at different rates, you are doing very well with your left knee, perhaps your right knee just needs time to improve.
Jockette is right in what she says regarding not necessarily getting a definitive answer from your OS, I should have phrased it better. When I had a setback in my recovery I went to my OS who confirmed my implant was correctly positioned and operating correctly- but I didn’t get a definitive answer from my OS as to why my pain levels were increasing and my leg kept buckling. It took my GP and myself to make the connection to nerve injury and treatment change brought about improvement. What I should have said is that your OS can do X-rays and an examination to see if your implant is positioned and moving correctly. If you feel like you are not getting the answers you need or that your doctor just doesn’t want to keep looking for answers you can get a second or even a third opinion. Your right knee still has a long road ahead to recovery and you have plenty of time for it to improve.
You do what is right for you and remember we are here if you have any questions or even to just moan! :groan:
 
Just a little update. 4 weeks post op.

Started the 2nd week of PT. My bend is at 110 degrees. I'm doing full rotation on a stationary bike.
I hope to reach 120 in the next 2 weeks. Overall my December knee feels alright.

My therapists agreed that I probably shouldn't be feeling pain in my May knee anymore. My follow up is early in February and I can't wait to speak with my doctor.
 
My therapists agreed that I probably shouldn't be feeling pain in my May knee anymore.
You still have healing to do in that knee, you were also dealing with the other knee that needed surgery, the first knee had to work harder while still in recovery.
 
@Jockette I keep reminding myself that and hoping that it's true and that my May knee will eventually feel better. I'm just super anxious because it just... looks weird when it bends? I also had issues with increased pain outside of my knee throughout my whole recovery and I kept being told it will pass. My December knee does not have that type of issues and even though I know there are two same recoveries, I can't help but compare them.

But either way, I don't want to truly worry until the doctor tell me that yeah, something is not right. I'm naturally an anxious person so I tend to find things to worry about even when things are fine. :) But on the bright side, my left knee is doing really good. I can do a full rotation on a bike, my bend is decent, I can do leg extension (not all the way up, but about halfway) and I can lift my leg up without any help. I'm happy with all that.
 
I know it’s hard not to worry, especially when your newer one is coming along so much better. My main point was, I don’t think anyone should say that you shouldn’t have pain at this point in that first knee, it’s been through a lot and it’s not done healing yet.
 
Full months since surgery, hit 126 bend. and I'm 1 degree away from my leg being full straight.

This knee's recovery has been a breeze so far. I also changed a crunch for a cane. But around the house I mostly walk without it. Gotta work on my hip and lifting my leg when walking.
 
That's great news @Freya34! Keep up the good work and don't overdo it (like I do too often) :) :-) (: How's that May knee doing?
 
It's been a while but I finally got updates!

Just had my follow up with the surgeon and x-rays done. Generally, both knees look good on x-rays. Everything is healing well. My range of motion is good. This left knee recovery has been a breeze.

I've asked about issues with the right knee and when I showed the doctor this weird "dip" I have in my knee when extending, he said there might be some scar tissues that's catching in between knee pieces and that's what is causing my problems. He suggested to wait another 6 weeks and if things don't improve he'll go inside the knee with a camera to see what's up.

I'm being optimistic though. I was worried that my implant might had shifted or something. Stubborn scar tissue sounds like it might be easier to fix, if that's the actual cause.

At any rate, got about 4 PT appointments left and I think I'll switch to working out on my own. I know the drill by know.
 
Last edited:
What did you guys do for scar manipulation/massage?
My PT told me I must be massaging my scar and knee daily - but I really hate it and honestly been barely doing it. My knee feels sensitive, hurts and anytime I start rubbing the scar it just feel uncomfortable.

So I'm wondering if I don't so it, or do it very little is it really such a big deal?
 
I never did either and my scar is barely noticeable.
 
It is not necessary to do anything with your scar, however some, PTs think you should massage it.

When my son broke his arm his PT told him they had to do the Graston technique on it or it would never smooth out. It’s using something like a butter knife to rub the scar to smooth it out. He said it was painful.

That was before I’d ever heard of Bonesmart and learned just what that technique was. I will never consent to it.
 
Whenever my PT would massage my knee it would hurt pretty bad. They say if the scar is not manipulated then it will harden etc etc. Yeah I'm not doing it, it's the most uncomfortable thing ever.
 
I started massaging a couple times a day at around 6 weeks post op according to my PT and OS advice. They both mentioned scar appearance and did not state any deeper healing benefits. At this point, I massage my scar daily when I get out of the shower with just a bit of Vit E oil. I really don't care about the scar appearance but massaging the knee has a meditative quality for me and has also helped with sensitivity.
 
The only massage I did felt good. I think if it's very painful you may be going too hard at it. My scars healed fine.
 
Went to the gym today for the first time since surgery. :) Did some leg press, elliptical and walked on a treadmill. Nothing crazy. My December knee feel ok.

It's actually kind of a weird feeling. My knee is only 2.5 months old but yet it feels like I'm further in recovery. I could compare my left 2.5 months old knees stage to when my right knee was about 5 months post op. Sometimes I even forget it's only been 2.5 months!! I get reminded when I overdo it by walking too much etc.


My other knee is about the same as it was a month - two ago. 10 months post op and it hurts walking down the stairs, mini squatting and extending. It feel like something "snaps" in my knee when I do those things. Follow up in about 3 weeks and we'll see how things will go.
 
Last edited:
I'm glad to hear your second knee is coming along so well. The older knee may just need a bit more time. After all, it did double duty to not only heal but also be the stronger knee these past 2 1/2 months. Just don't try to push it if something you're doing hurts. Back off and try again later. If you have pain doing the stairs, go back to doing one step at a time to put less strain on both your knees.
 
Back
Top Bottom