PKR Freya's Recovery - Second PKR

Glad to hear things are progressing well. Don't worry. You definitely can get strength back once you are healed from your surgery.
 
I feel like i unlocked some type of achievement haha.
Hi @Freya34 , Yay! :-) Great way of looking at things and declare victory and celebrate! (I tend to deal with my pessimism by declaring lots of little, inconsequential, "victories" ... which allow me to do a mental "mini fist pump". :-) )

All the best on your recovery/rehab!
 
It's been few months since I've checked the forum. A lot to catch up!

As for me... a week ago I had a scar tissue cleanup surgery on my left knee. Just like with my right knee, I had quite a scar tissue build up. Just my luck, I guess. :) At least the recovery for this type of a surgery is waaaaaay easier compared to the replacement surgery. There is very minimum pain and really no range of motion problems.

Unfortunately I still have some longering issues with my right knee (the more problematic one). The scar removal surgery eliminated about 80% of pain but there is still that one sharp pain in one part of the knee I've been experiencing since the very beginning. Not sure what I will do with it at this point.

I hope everyone on the forum is doing good! And if anyone is fearing the scar tissue cleanup surgery, don't. It's a breeze compared to the replacement :p
 
Best wishes on your continuing recovery!

Please give us the date of the scar tissue removal surgery and we’ll add it to your signature. :flwrysmile:
 
@WFD arthroscopic. The procedure took about 40 minutes and I've spend about 4 hours in the hospital in total. I could put my weight on the leg right after the surgery and had very little pain.

@Jockette left knee - August 8th. Right knee I think it was around April 25th.
 
So for my lingering sharp pain in the right knee, my nurse recommended a nerve block injection. I have the initial appointment about this nerve block later this month.

Have anyone here had this type of a procedure done?

My x-rays look fine and during the knee arthroscopy my doctors haven't notice any issues that could cause this sharp pain. So they're speculating maybe I have a nerve that just cannot "calm down" and needs a nerve block.
 
I'm sorry you're still experiencing that significant pain.
The scar removal surgery eliminated about 80% of pain but there is still that one sharp pain in one part of the knee I've been experiencing since the very beginning.
Can you associate any activity or motion with the pain or is it just there humming in the background in every position? Some of my lingering pain was caused by activities that I tried to resume before my knee was ready. The correlated pain was not always immediate, those pains often showed up a day or 2 later and I'd have to consider what I'd tried in the last couple days. What's does your day look like, including ADLs (activities of daily living)? I ask because at some point when we resume work full time, rejoin the house cleaning rotation, prepare meals, etc. there is little energy or strength left for the extra knee exercises.

The only experience I've had with nerve blocks was the injection in Recovery after surgery. That single injection made my knee feel pretty good. When it wore off, I ended up chasing the extreme pain.
 
My partial knee replacement was almost 1.5 year ago and I kind of expected to be able to do things such as exercising.

The sharp pain sometimes feel like a needle poking the outside of my knee. Sometimes (rarely) I feel it gently when I'm standing straight and not doing much. Just standing.

The biggest issues is with exercising. I was always pretty active and exercise 5 days a week. Now I struggle for example when I am doing squats it feels like I have a dagger digging in my right knee. I don't have that sensation in my left knee which had a surgery last December. So now even a full year ago. The outside of my right knee is still pretty numb as well. Again I expected the numbness to be gone by now. ;(

The nurse mentioned the injection can wear off and it is something I worry about as well.
 
@hawk2go you mentioned you were experiencing pain after the injection wore off - can I ask if that pain ever went away?
 
Yes, the pain was managed after several tries with different treatments. This was the early post surgical pain, 1 day out. The biggest issue was that there was insufficient (or no) warning about the expected experience when the nerve block wore off. I was pretty shocked when I was feeling good and then very suddenly I was not. As to the numbness I can feel everything in my right knee while the older left knee still has a bit of numbness (OS says it may never return). It doesn't bother me and strangely continues to improve and not feel so weird over time when I touch it.

I have to admit, I've only been able to manage squats for just over a month. I kept trying them because they were part of my PT protocol. When I quit PT, I also broke up the exercises and instead of doing them all in an hour long session, I split them throughout the day. Splitting up the exercises allowed me to identify those that were too much for the baby knee. I took them out of the routine and added them back later as I felt stronger. I can now do several variations of squats. If you were very fit, exercising almost daily before surgery, you will very likely get back to that. If you haven't tried backing way off the exercises for a couple weeks, do that and see if that helps to give your knees time to calm down and move you further from the constant pain.

You had a staggered bilateral PKR and a few things come to mind (though your doctor is in the best position to suggest possible diagnoses and treatments):
  1. a PKR requires about 1 year to heal, same as a TKR, same trauma with a smaller prosthetic
  2. time will heal, unfortunately, you can't push it
  3. at just about 7 months (~60% healed), your right leg became your "strong" leg and healing likely slowed while it took over the heavy lifting
  4. given your tendency to scar, your timeline may be longer than average (was the scarring a source of pain?)
 
Have anyone here had this type of a procedure done?
I had one back in the early 90s and it was a disaster. It made my whole thigh burn and sting. I could not stand for anything to touch it, not even a sheet. It lasted about a month. Of course, this was many years ago and the procedure has probably much improved.
The sharp pain sometimes feel like a needle poking the outside of my knee.
This sounds similar to what @Jockette is experiencing. She'll come along and talk to you some.
 
We have the same PKR. My area of discomfort is also on the outside of my knee. In my case I do believe it’s nerve damage from the original surgery and it doesn’t like anything touching it, and it’s been more than 5 years since my surgery. As long as I wear shorts, I don’t feel it. I am not interested in any shots, or nerve ablation, I feel my knee has had enough “interference“ done to it.

You have had 2 procedures done on each knee in the last 15 months, which could lengthen your healing time.
 
Have you considered getting additional opinions from a revision surgeon? Not that you necessarily need a revision, but these are the doctors who are more likely to see problem cases and be able to see a solution. Unfortunately sometimes partial knee replacements can be problematic. If you need help finding additional surgeons for consultations, just let me know and I’ll try to help.

You should expect to be able to do some mild exercising at this point without that sharp pain you’re describing. So don’t feel bad about doing some additional searching to find out what may be going on.
 
@Jamie I've been considering getting a second opinion. I have no idea how to go on about this though haha. So I'd definitely appreciate any advice.
 
I'm assuming you'd be willing to travel to Nashville to see someone. Here is a recommendation I have that you might consider for a consultation. Depending on what is said in your first consultation, you might opt to seek out another one or two until you are comfortable with the diagnosis and recommendations. I can help you do more research if and when you need it.

Nashville, Tennessee
broken link removed: https://sjri.com/physicians/profile/Dr-Michael-Christie-MD
Primary and revision hip and knee
Southern Joint Replacement Institute
2400 Patterson, Suite 100
Nashville, TN 37203
Phone: 615-342-0038
 
Ok, I have a new theory for my right leg pain.

What if it's not a knee but my quad muscle. Would that even be possible? My quad has been a disaster since a surgery. Took 4 - 5 months for me to even activate it so I can lift my leg. And now... 1.5 year later this muscle is very weak still. And not because I'm not trying to prove it... I do regular strenght straining, resistance on a stationary bike, even got myself a squat/rowing machine. But the muscle isn't improving much.

I also get those random pains in my quad.. it feels like I get spots on my muscles that are bruised and painful to touch. But there are no visible bruises.

Maybe I'm just rambling and this is far reaching but... did anyone hear about muscle issues post replacement surgery? Like... they reattached something wrong during the surgery or something?

(I canceled the nerve block appointment. It didn't feel right)
 
I suppose this is a possibility. Have you discussed this idea with your therapist? It would have been unusual for the surgeon to cut the quad muscle and have to reattach it, though.

Did you consider trying to find additional opinions from orthopedic surgeons? I believe this is the only way you're going to get any real answers as to what is going on.
 
Yet another update on this unexpected long journey. Seriously, don't listen to anyone who tells you will be fine after 6 weeks post surgery lol. Unless you're extremely lucky. Also apologize from being inactive for so long.

I'm nearing 2 years on my right knee partial surgery.

Actually last couple months things felt great. Stenght training going great - no more sharp pain that I've been feeling for a while. My right knee which initially was feeling more problematic, feels really good now. I've abandoned an idea of ever running because I felt terrified I'll ruin my implant faster. So I'm sticking to weights and low impact cardio.

My left knee though.. ugh. Last 2 weeks I've been feeling "throbbing" and dull numbness in my left knee. Any have any idea what throbbing could indicate? I'm taking a few days off from exercising to let my knees rest but I really don't enjoy pain coming back. This knee also started to feel "bulky" and heavy all of the sudden.

(I've also went to get a second opinion after my last issues with sharp pain, but the doctor didn't find anything concerning. Aside from that the implant in my left knee is "pushing out" a bit too far when I do a squat movement. But doctor didn't find it too concerning).
 
Hello Freya,
I am so sorry you're dealing with pain once again and the uncertainty that can accompany it.
I feel your best bet is to contact your surgeon's office to see if you can speak to a member if his / her care team, relaying your symptoms, answering any questions they have and go from there. I do believe they'll either offer you reassurance, or ask you to schedule a visit to dig deeper. I wish you comfort and hope it eases soon or you're able to determine the origin and treat it.
@Freya34
 
Back
Top Bottom