Guest viewing is limited

PKR Freya's Recovery - Second PKR

@Freya34 Hi! I waited on this knee for a full week of healing before PT. Then, I insisted on gentle!
My first knee, I followed "the rules and went right away...big mistake!
As a result, my new knee is progressing much faster with less pain!
 
@MARYCOOL
With my first knee i exercised really, really hard. After a surgery I was given this long list of exercises and told to do them twice a day 30 reps. I was doing that on top of PT. And now i fear i damaged my knee somehow because it still hurts on the outside.

With my fresh new knee i plan on doing the bare minimum. No more crying through workouts.
 
No more crying through workouts.
Definitely no pushing through pain. So counterproductive and as you have see, it can create a longer recovery. Plenty of time for strength training when that knee is healed.
 
I started physio about 2 and a half weeks after surgery, just after my stapled were removed.

How long since your surgery if I may ask? I keep worrying that if I don't exercise I will fall behind and my knee will never bend/straighten up hah. On the other hand I don't want to push myself anymore.
 
My surgery LTKR was on the 28th of September 2021- 2 and a half weeks later I had my first session of PT just after I had my staples removed- PT didn’t do anything with me due to having two tiny areas on the wound not fully closed.
I just want to say do not follow the “no pain no gain”path, I did and ended up pushing myself too far and causing myself to have a setback. I have read several posts on here by different members, the main takeaway about PT is if it hurts don’t do it and don’t let anyone do it to you. If it causes you pain and swelling afterwards do not do it. Slow and steady will get you through this.
Some people work with PT following Bonesmart guidelines and get a lot out of it, others forget about PT completely and rely on doing their exercises and stretches at home as well as the ADL ( In other words day to day activities).
Due to my setback my current exercise level is the 4 week mark even though I am actually 10 weeks after my surgery. I am taking a gentle approach, going to the level of discomfort but not to pain. I probably won’t be going back to PT as she really didn’t seem to understand me and I felt I was getting nothing from her. I will continue with my stretching exercises, walking, using an electrical muscle stimulator, icing, resting and elevating.
Everyone is different, what works for me may not work for you- it is your knee and you decide what you want to happen in your recovery.
Happy Healing!
 
I keep worrying that if I don't exercise I will fall behind and my knee will never bend/straighten up
There is no "window of opportunity" for getting your range of motion back with your new knee, although you might hear that from various people in your medical community. Our BoneSmarties have proven time and time again that you can improve even a year or more out from surgery. So, please don't let this worry you. As long as you are mobile or doing gentle bends and stretches at least every hour or two you'll be fine. You want to exercise your knee to the point of mild to moderate discomfort, but not real pain. Going past this point to real pain is what will irritate tender, healing tissues and cause swelling.
 
I keep worrying that if I don't exercise I will fall behind and my knee will never bend/straighten up
There is no "window of opportunity" for getting your range of motion back with your new knee, although you might hear that from various people in your medical community. Our BoneSmarties have proven time and time again that you can improve even a year or more out from surgery. So, please don't let this worry you. As long as you are mobile or doing gentle bends and stretches at least every hour or two you'll be fine. You want to exercise your knee to the point of mild to moderate discomfort, but not real pain. Going past this point to real pain is what will irritate tender, healing tissues and cause swelling.
It really helps to hear this again (we don't always listen and need to be reminded). Due too sharp pain I virtually stopped all excercise. I did not do any leg lifts as they hurt too much and then about 3 weeks later realised that I had lifted my leg onto bed without any help. 5 weeks later with no daily lifting excercise I can now do leg lifts I try them now and again but stop when I think it is going to cause me pain. I am not too worried about gaining strength by doing this excercise - I believe it is there and will come back which my leg lifting proved all along. I have not done heel slides since week 3 for same reason and just did 5 whilst typing this email. My Rom was 120 at end of week 2 but since I had the sharp pain I don't push it to that and am happy that 90 is easy to achieve. This site has taught me to not worry about rom and I am certain that I will get to that 120 without pain when my leg is ready. Slow and easy is the way!!
 
Day 2 after surgery.
Although I can't see a bruise on my thigh I know it's there. Just a matter of time for it to show.

Knee is on fire and my leg is 3 times it's normal size. I know it will go away but I hate seeing it. Pain is about 7/10. I'm trying to save my oxy because I only got 20 left and apparently in my state doctors cannot refill pain medicines after surgery. Gotta say thanks to all the people who abused the system to get unnecessary drugs!

Did some very very gentle ankle slides yesterday. Some ankle pumps. Some glute and leg muscle squeezes.
 
Slow and steady @Freya34! This is a race that the tortoise wins. I also hoarded the heavy pain meds because they only provided enough for 5 days. With that said, I took all meds on the prescribed schedule until Day 3 out of the hospital (Day 5 after surgery). That allowed me to stay ahead of the worst pain. It is much harder to tamp down pain once it flairs up than to take the meds before the pain gets bad. Chasing pain can be an all day task. Later in the week, I spaced out the Oxycodone longer than prescribed but took all other meds on schedule.

I started PT on Day 3 at home and had a home nurse and occupational therapist from the same service. It was great because I could tell that they conferred on my case. The first day was mostly evaluation of my movement, ROM and pain levels. The home PT and I agreed that he would not touch my leg without my permission and would not bend/extend it to check measurements. When an exercise hurt, I stopped and let him know and he removed it from the regimen for a few days.

I know it's hard to imagine but you will improve. Be patient with yourself.
 
I think the most embarrassing thing is that my husband has to help me up from the toilet. Well, goodbye dignity!

As for my left knee (may surgery) does anyone experience odd feelings on the outside of the knee? I feels like something is not falling into place right and it hurts and pops. X-rays didn't show anything. That area is still a bit swollen and numb so I have no idea if that's normal... i don't know how to describe it. It feel like a sharp/tight feeling like my bones would not be falling into place. It's been 8 months since that surgery.
 
Has the left knee always felt like this, or is it just since this recent surgery?
 
Has the left knee always felt like this, or is it just since this recent surgery?

It's a new thing.

Also my mistake, I meant right knee. Left one is a fresh surgery.

Ive asked my surgeon about and he said he wasn't sure. I'll ask again on my follow up.
 
My thoughts are, at 8 months your first knee is not fully healed and now it is having to be the strong one since you are fresh out of a new surgery on the other, and it’s “just” stressed. Hopefully in time it will adjust as both knees continue to heal.
 
My thoughts are, at 8 months your first knee is not fully healed and now it is having to be the strong one since you are fresh out of a new surgery on the other, and it’s “just” stressed. Hopefully in time it will adjust as both knees continue to heal.

Hope so. Of course I'm panicking this new pain/issue is permanent. Thank you.


Things are as expected otherwise post-surgery. Pain and swelling are still bad. I do ankle pumps and heel slides. Couple here and there throughout the day. I'm going to grab some weights today to do upper body exercises. Strong upper body def helps with this recovery. I think I sleep better compared to the first surgery. For now at least. Gotta thank the melatonin gummies for that.

17 Dec - Going to give PT a call and schedule something post Christmas.
28 Dec - Followup and staple removal.
 
Don’t wear yourself out strengthening upper body, you just had major surgery and are feeling the energy drain of healing, that can last for months. Some effort is fine, but don’t overdo, it will just be counterproductive.

Very good idea to wait until January for PT.
 
Don’t wear yourself out strengthening upper body, you just had major surgery and are feeling the energy drain of healing, that can last for months. Some effort is fine, but don’t overdo, it will just be counterproductive.

Very good idea to wait until January for PT.

Yeah I decided to wait with PT and more strenuous exercises bit longer than last time. First surgery, I was exercising 2 - 3 times a day starting the second day. I got my ROM very quickly but for a price of a longer recovery, I can see it now.

I wish I found this forum sooner. I've been reading people's recovery posts and it's just nice to see experiences I can relate to. My husband is wonderful and supportive but I don't think he understands how painful, frustrating and mentally draining this whole process is.

I know I'm quite young compared to many other forum members but it is interesting to see how post surgery experiences are similar to everyone no matter the age.

I was actually doubting myself a lot for deciding to go with the surgery because everyone points out that I'm young. After the surgery the doctor said my arthritis was pretty bad so I felt validated at least a little bit.
 
It's a common misconception that if you're younger you'll bounce back faster after joint replacement surgery. We certainly haven't found that to be the case with our BoneSmarties. The surgery pretty much impacts most people in the same way. So, I think your approach to your recovery this time is very wise. We're glad you did find us this time around!
 
It's a common misconception that if you're younger you'll bounce back faster after joint replacement

I was sure I'll be back to normal after a month or two after surgery. 8 months later... still not at 100%.

Last night was bad. Woke up at 5 am fairly rested but in horrible pain. Sobbing, I woke my hubby up and asked him to bring me ice and painkillers. You didn't hit the rock bottom in recovery if you didn't cry in the shower or cry swallowing your pills and chewing on a dry piece of bread so you don't get sick having your pills on empty stomach.
 
Hang in there @Freya34 - you are definitely in the worst of the recovery. I did a lot of crying that first week, from pain, frustration and exhaustion. There is an end to this part. {{{{{HUGS}}}}}}

If your pain was cause by skipping, lowering or extending your pain medicine dosage, then you just learned the number one lesson that many have the hard way - stay on pain med schedule this week. Set alarms or have hubby set alarms for EVERY dose this week and next. It's harder to chase pain than it is to stay ahead of it.
 
Back
Top Bottom