Guest viewing is limited

TKR Freedom works on recovery<<

:yes!: It's great tha you were able to pedal the bike and also hit 90. You're doing well. The taping must be working very well for you. Keep it up!:biking:
 
Yesterday at PT I was finally able to pedal backwards on the recumbent bike. Just now I got on my upright bike here at home, where I have only been rocking. Decided "I can do this!" HOLY MOLY the PAIN! SCREAMED And it lasted about 30 seconds as I couldn't get moving to rock forward again and get my foot out of the stirrup. I'm ok now, heart still racing. NOT going to try THAT again anytime soon!!!
 
Ouch! A lesson learned the hard way! You poor thing! :console2:

Treat your knee to some extra rest, ice and elevation after that episode, won't you?
 
Well done you really have had a rough time I thought you would like to meet my assistant Dog Harley - yes on top of it all I'm deaf. I will be three weeks post op on Monday and doing okay as Hal is a hearing dog he is allowed on ward oh the difference it Made to get a love and cuddle- however he lifted the spirits of the whole ward it was lovely to see. He is so important to me alerting me to phone door alarm clock etc I really missed him when I was home for a week without him I felt lost!
Here is is in full uniform proud mummy I am and then he's on down time with a big group of hearing dogs having a play.
[Bonesmart.org] Freedom works on recovery<<
[Bonesmart.org] Freedom works on recovery<<
 
@Freedom, glad to hear about your progress, it feels so good when we see improvement, doesn't it? I am about 4 months now and still have good days & some not so good.Just need to stay patient while the healing progresses and not get discouraged. I sometimes feel like maybe because I'm a little older (67) that it's taking longer to regain strength, not sure and I guess it doesn't matter. Hope you keep moving forward and feeling strong!
 
Harley is beautiful! He looks like a special cross-bred - with a bit of golden retriever in him?
I've seen a golden doodle service dog, but he was bigger.
 
@MezRebuilt I love seeing your Harley! And how grand that he has play dates with other 'working' dogs. Good for you giving him that opportunity. Because he gives YOU so much. I love that it is a 2 way street. I have done pet assisted therapy, with one of my cats, Sparkle (now at Rainbow Bridge) and with Marlin one of my many bichons frise' (also now at Rainbow Bridge).
 
That picture made my day. You are so lucky to have such an awesome buddy. I've already warned my husband he's kicked out of my recovery nest when I get home for the hospital, but today my pup gets a bath because I'll need him by my side. He's not a therapy dog, yet we all know our pets are to us.

@MezRebuilt, is the dog next to Harley a Brittany? Mine is a Brit, but here in the States they don't accept 'black and white' as breed standard. Hm . . maybe a Springer? They are all gorgeous.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I'm pleased he's worth a pocketful of pills lol I am pleased as I've just managed 0.88 of a mile and now home him fed laying next to me leg up and icing and I feel quite good :yes!: but now:chillpill: first of the day :ice: oh and peas have never felt so good :thumb:
 
[Bonesmart.org] Freedom works on recovery<<

Harley telling a donkey friend all about my TKR!!!
[Bonesmart.org] Freedom works on recovery<<

The pups below turned out immaculately on the day they went to their recipients- we could not get them all together unfortunately but all the georgious pups passed and now hold their working pass books.
Harley jnr. Far right is huge one of the biggest cockapoos I've seen he makes Hsrley look like a midgut bless! so he was our 1st named and we have just reached another £10,000 to name pup number 2 when one is available. Out of interest it cost throughout their lives from pregnancy to the end of their working lives about £45,000 no government funding just volunteers and fundraisers like me doing what we can!

[Bonesmart.org] Freedom works on recovery<<
@GimpyGal if a picture of my dear hearing dog Harley cheats you up and makes you feel better he is not apposed to posing and cheering people up so if a simple photo is required to get you through your day, pain and so on here he is and I hope it brings a big smile to your face and eases that pain then here goes I am actually the founder of the British Cockapoo Society here in the uk and we raise money for hearing dogs which is of cause outer chosen charity. So far we have had named one - it takes us £10,000 to be able to do this I didn't choose his name but club members did they called him Harley Jr. After my Harley. I was so proud. So here you go a big big Sunday smile and aww to help you all heal faster
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@GimpyGal no she is a working cocker spaniel but quite big she's one of our brood bitches who gave birth to the pups above and Harley Jnr. are you all smiling now I hope so Love from me and a healing woof from:dogsniff:
 
Hi @GimpyGal and @Freedom how are you doing I had good day Sunday overly short walk with Hal but been resting since elevating icing - oh and looking at the spring flowers thinking oh I have so much I want to do! Nest boxes are up a neighbour did them one he put up the afternoon before I came out of hospital by time I was home we already had blue tits move in!!
Wonderful. Well hope your okay mx and woofs from Hal
 
Last edited by a moderator:
At PT this morning, she took measurements. Unlike inhome PT which took measurements EVERY TIME, out patient does this every 2 weeks. Today -- I am 11 weeks post op -- I was 93 with assist, and 3 for flexion. I have been going 3 times per week: Mon and Fri are land PT, and Thurs is pool PT. My initial assessment at this facility was 70 and 12, so I am improving.

She asked me if I could live with this; while not thrilled I said yes. I have 3 more weeks of PT and then see OS.

I also have been reading up on MUA and keloids. Seems an MUA is NOT recommended if you develop keloids, for a few reasons:
1. keloid tissue is denser, more fibrous, than regular scar tissue. This makes it harder to break in an MUA, and increases the risk of breaking a bone instead.
2. if the keloid tissue DOES break during the MUA, now you have all these fibers with breaks, aka 'wounds' even though they are internal, and those heal up with yet MORE keloid tissue. No scar tissue.

I've been through this before; when I was age 5 and starting school, had to have the polio vaccine; and I developed a keloid. It was large, raised from my arm, and itched like crazy. And of course, I was teased by school mates. I didn't wear sleeveless tops for close to 40 years. My folks took me to a doctor who gave me injections IN the keloid . . . I remember screaming as it hurt so much. After almost a year of this and no change, he advised me folks he wanted to cut it out, so they agreed. And of course it grew back larger. Finally my folks took me to another doctor, highly regarded, out of town, and costly. He told them just leave it alone, it will slowly break down and disappear. Now 52 years later, it is flush with my skin, though still quite noticeable.

Since then, various things resulted in 2 other keloids. I ignored them. Within 5 to 7 years, could not even be sure where they had been.

I am not willing to approve an MUA (if my OS suggests it) and risk losing what ROM I have due to additional build up of keloid tissue.
 
Exactly.

I need to get back into the work force. I can't see getting a new job and saying, "by the way, I will need 10 to 14 weeks off for a total knee replacement," so I have to start thinking about the second knee. Which is also bone on bone and painful.
 

Members online

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom