Guest viewing is limited

TKR Freedom works on recovery<<

I also have been reading up on MUA and keloids. Seems an MUA is NOT recommended if you develop keloids, for a few reasons:
1. keloid tissue is denser, more fibrous, than regular scar tissue. This makes it harder to break in an MUA, and increases the risk of breaking a bone instead.
2. if the keloid tissue DOES break during the MUA, now you have all these fibers with breaks, aka 'wounds' even though they are internal, and those heal up with yet MORE keloid tissue. No scar tissue.
I didn't know that keloid tissue could develop inside a wound. I thought it just happened to the skin.
@Josephine , please can you clarify this?
 
I also have been reading up on MUA and keloids. Seems an MUA is NOT recommended if you develop keloids, for a few reasons:
1. keloid tissue is denser, more fibrous, than regular scar tissue. This makes it harder to break in an MUA, and increases the risk of breaking a bone instead.
2. if the keloid tissue DOES break during the MUA, now you have all these fibers with breaks, aka 'wounds' even though they are internal, and those heal up with yet MORE keloid tissue. No scar tissue.
Of course you have scar tissue - it's what holds the wound together! Trouble is, Doctors and PTs tend to muddle up the term scar tissue with adhesions which is a different thing altogether.

I've never actually heard of these issues but I wouldn't recommend an MUA anyway as you are only 11 weeks out and already have a ROM of over 90. So there is plenty of time for you ROM to improve all on its own anyway.

I'd sooner address your activities as they are very often the cause of limited ROM.

So, I'd like to ask you some questions if you don't mind, and it would be very helpful if you would answer each one individually - numbered as I have done - in as much detail as you can then I'll come back as see where you are ....


1. what are your pain levels right now? (remember the 1-10 scale: 1 = no pain and 10 = the worst you can imagine)

2. what pain medications have you been prescribed, how much are you taking (in mg please) and how often?

3. how often are you icing your knee and for how long?

4. are you elevating your leg, how often and for how long?

5. What is your ROM - that's flexion (bend) and extension (straightness)

6. how swollen is your leg?
[Bonesmart.org] Freedom works on recovery<<


7. what is your activity level? What do you do in the way of housework, cooking, cleaning, shopping, etc., and

8. what kind of PT exercises and exercises at home are you doing? How much and how often?
This is the most crucial question so please help me by using the format I have left as an example

Exercises done at home: (enter number) of sessions each day
(enter exercise) x (enter number of reps and sets)
(enter exercise) x (enter number of reps and sets)
(enter exercise) x (enter number of reps and sets)

At PT
(enter exercise) x (enter number of reps and sets)
(enter exercise) x (enter number of reps and sets)
(enter exercise) x (enter number of reps and sets)
 
Well, far as I know, keloid tissue does go down through several layers.

Now, that list of questions: Same thing as PT asked me today!

1. Right now as I sit here in my recliner, typing? 1. Worst it has been in the past 3 weeks is a 2 possibly a 3, at the end of a PT session.

2. Tramadol HCL 50 mg to take as needed. I take before PT and maybe once in addition during the week. Usually Motrin is enough at this point.

3. icing 10 minutes at a time 2 or 3 times a day.

4. elevating Half an hour at a time (the first 10 minutes is with the ice) 2 or 3 times a day

5. What is your ROM 93/3

6. how swollen I'd say moderate, on the slight side. I feel like I have a water balloon on my knee. I'm always surprised at how little the swelling actually is, as compared to how it feels.

7. activity level I walk my dogs once a day (weather permitting), 40 to 45 minute walk. Cooking is still heat - and - eat, and I clean up but not always after each meal, might be once a day. I don't seem to like most foods at the moment. A few times I've made a meal and then not eaten it, just can't stomach it. If I return from dog walk and it is time for lunch, I eat and then have a nap.

Each morning, I am in and out of 3 bedrooms, scoop 9 cat litter boxes, fill water and food bowls, and get my ice machine ready for the day. Get dogs out before I start, then back in. In all, takes 45 minutes till I am ready to sit down and have my breakfast.

Evening routine, put dogs out, cats get fed canned, get dogs in, sort out belly bands for the 2 males, takes me half an hour to get in to bed. I spend half an hour doing crossword or reading and then lights out. That half hour is legs up on wedge pillow, ice on for the first 10 minutes.

Shopping - groceries and home. By the time I have unpacked the car and put most away I am ready for a nap. If I have to go to another store (pet food, for example) then that is ONE trip. I can't combine chores right now, even though the stores are right next to one another. I have to remember I need energy to unload the car and put the stuff away.
Cleaning - minimal.
Laundry - I put it off as long as possible and then do 3 or 4 loads in one day. I live in a ranch house (all one floor) but laundry (washer and dryer) is down cellar, one flight of stairs.

Since my Dad died Feb 21, I spend at least 3 hours per day on the phone and doing paperwork related to his passing, managing the estate, etc. Darn nuisance, but has to be done.

8. PT
Cardio Glide, I do 300 (takes about 10 minutes) twice a day. Initially I could only do 100 in 10 minutes, I have worked up on this! I use hands only for balance, I do not pull with arms, I focus on legs. See here:

Ankle pumps - throughout day when sitting in recliner

Walk dogs 40 to 45 minute walk, on asphalt, up a steep hill and back down to the car. I focus on heel - toe, feels like I am marching to get left foot up.

Lie on sofa on back, ankles on arm, works on extension, can hold about 2 minutes. I try to do this 3 times in a row with a short break in between; and I do this at least twice a day.



At PT
Session starts with 3 minutes of rocking on the recumbent bike, to warm up. I've been able to go around backwards twice (today and last Friday) consistently for the 3 minutes.
Next, on the table while Therapist does some massage, loosens things up, me on my back and then on my stomach. She will rub the scar, next start at the top of the quad and move down/ if on my stomach she is rubbing the hamstrings, she will gently pull the lower leg and then have me bend it. This entire process lasts less than 5 minutes.
Wall stretches - hands on wall, one leg forward, one leg back, stretch out hamstrings, hold for a count of 10 and switch, alternating legs, 10 on each leg
Tilt board is set up next to wall, I stand on it facing the wall, so my feet are slanted heels lower than toes, (heels are just about floor level, this is not a step exercise, just a stretch) hold for 10 seconds and get off, repeat 10 times
Step - one of those aerobic steps. Left foot up on step, slowly control drop so right HEEL not toe gently taps floor in front of the step, then a slow controlled lift up again. Weight remains on left leg at all times. Two sets of 10 with a 30 second break in between sets.
Stand between parallel bars and do some SLOW squats, hold as low as I can go comfortably for a count of 3 then up, slow and controlled up and down, 2 sets of 10.
Back to the table, lie down on back, squeeze a ball between my legs and do 'bridges' 2 sets of 10. Sit up on side of table legs hanging down, squeeze ball between legs and leg lift, 2 sets of 10. Then she will work on gently pulling my lower leg down, may put a hand behind my knee in the fold, and have me bend it back as far as I can comfortably.
Today for the first time, we used the treadmill. First I stood with right foot on the side, just moved the left, incline zero, speed .5 mph, working on 'heel - toe - heel - toe.' Then I got both feet on and at my request speed went to 1.5 mph and I walked. This was more for her to observe my gait, not a timed exercise. She mentioned that my right is throwing things off (right knee is bone on bone and needs to be replaced when left can support me through the recovery).
Back to table and ice for 10 minutes, my hour is up!

I'm sure there are other things I do in pt! The above is Mon and Fri.

On Thurs I am in the pool for PT.
Warm up consists of crossing back and forth 3 times each: first walk forwards, then walk backwards, next side step, and finally march.
At the steps in to the pool: facing up the stairs, step up with left onto first step, bring right up next to it, down with left, bring right down next to it. Do 20.
Left foot on second step, lunge forward and hold, shift weight back and left foot on the floor. Right foot, repeat. Do 20.
Stand sideways, let foot on first step, drop down so right foot touches pool floor but no weight on it, then up again. Slow and controlled movements down and up. 20 times.
Sit on the bench (when sitting, water is up at my armpits). Sitting sideways, so legs are on the bench, straighten legs and press down - quad sets? Do 20.
There is a round piece of foam, donut shaped, put left foot in that, one edge is flat for pool floor. Use this to do leg lifts: front, back, side 20 each. Then keep knee in place and bend, lifting foot back, do 20.
Yesterday for the first time I also did these with 5 pound weights on ankles, 10 of each not 20.
Stand at pool side, hold on to the bar (which is under water), feet up on pool wall, and extend legs, hold for count of 3, release. Do 20.
End session in deep end (only 5 feet) with a noodle under arms. Do 20 each forward splits and side splits, bicycle timed, I am now up to 3 minutes for this.

Then my choice, I go stand in front of one of the jets and let it work on my knee, front, inside, and back. Feels SOOOO good, and that good feeling lasts a day and a half.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Oh my. Woke at 4 this morning, knee pain, haven't had this in weeks. Guess I did too much yesterday. Interesting thing is this: it was my RIGHT knee! My left was fine!
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Freedom works on recovery<<
    20160409_110845 (Small).jpg
    25 KB · Views: 258
  • [Bonesmart.org] Freedom works on recovery<<
    20160409_110850 (Small).jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 243
1. Right now as I sit here in my recliner, typing? 1. Worst it has been in the past 3 weeks is a 2 possibly a 3, at the end of a PT session.
Okay ...
2. Tramadol HCL 50 mg to take as needed. I take before PT and maybe once in addition during the week. Usually Motrin is enough at this point.
Okay....
3. icing 10 minutes at a time 2 or 3 times a day.
4. elevating Half an hour at a time (the first 10 minutes is with the ice) 2 or 3 times a day
You accomplish little or nothing in 20 minutes. Ice for at least 40-60mins and more than 4 times a day.
5. What is your ROM 93/3
Not good for 12 weeks out.
6. how swollen I'd say moderate, on the slight side. I feel like I have a water balloon on my knee.
:scratch: How can you say it's moderate and then that it feels like a water balloon? That doesn't make sense.
7. activity level I walk my dogs once a day (weather permitting), 40 to 45 minute walk. Cooking is still heat - and - eat
Each morning, I am in and out of 3 bedrooms, scoop 9 cat litter boxes, fill water and food bowls, and get my ice machine ready for the day. Get dogs out before I start, then back in. In all, takes 45 minutes till I am ready to sit down and have my breakfast.
Shopping - groceries
Cleaning - minimal.
Laundry - I put it off as long as possible
Hmmm ... well okay

Cardio Glide, I do 300 (takes about 10 minutes) twice a day
Ankle pumps - throughout day when sitting in recliner
Lie on sofa on back, ankles on arm, works on extension, can hold about 2 minutes.

At PT
Session starts with 3 minutes of rocking on the recumbent bike, to warm up. I've been able to go around backwards twice (today and last Friday) consistently for the 3 minutes.
Wall stretches x10 alternating legs
On tilt board I stand on it facing the wall so my heels lower than toes x10 seconds x10
Steps 2 sets of 10
SLOW squats as low as I can go for a count of 3, 2 sets of 10.
bridges squeeze a ball between legs 2 sets x10.
Sit up legs down, squeeze ball leg lift 2 sets x10.
work on gently pulling my lower leg down, hand behind knee and bend it back
treadmill speed .5 mph working on 'heel-toe increased to 1.5mph

On Thurs I am in the pool for PT.
first walk forwards, then walk backwards, next side step, and finally march.
steps various x20 x20 x20
Sitting, straighten legs and press down x20.
Noodles leg lifts: front, back, side x20 each.
lifting foot back x20.
Yesterday for the first time I also did these with 5 pound weights on ankles, 10 of each not 20.
feet up on pool wall, extend legs, hold for count of 3, release x20.
noodle under arms x20 each forward splits and side splits, bicycle timed
I haven't addressed each of these as I am just too gobsmacked by the quantity of them! But I will tell you that squats, wall slides, bridges and marching are very heard on your knee. Also, you should never permit weights to be used.

I have added these up and you are doing 100 reps in PT and 260 reps in the pool.This is not just overdoing it, this is BOOT CAMP! I beg you to stop doing it. It's unnecessary and is only going to cause you problems in the long run. Even though you said your swelling is moderate, I would venture to suggest that you have a lot of internal swelling and that this is why your ROM is only 93. If you continue with this, you will end up with chronic issues and a poor outcome. Stop it now while you still have a chance for your knee to recoup from all this abuse.

I suggest you read this article to see how bad bad can really be. This chap thought he was doing good by his knees and is now regretting his actions PT: the seriously grave consequences of doing too much of it
 
@Josephine can I please clarify w/ you re icing? I've been told by numerous people that I should ice for 10 minutes. After that, they say I defeat the purpose as the body finds the temperature in that area is too low so it sends red blood cells rushing in to heat up the area, and that increases the swelling again.

Hmm, so you suggest I stop the PT? That is fine by me. I know it will be an issue w/ my surgeon. And I'm pretty sure I want him to do my second knee, and the sooner the better, so I can get on with finding a job and starting work. If you have any suggestions what to say to him, wording etc., that will be appreciated. I am scheduled to see him Apr 29th so I have some time to consider what to say and how to say it.

Oh, and moderate swelling, I posted a photo from this morning up above your comments, not sure if you saw that. Maybe you would call it slight? Not sure.

I KNOW my ROM is not good for 12 weeks out. This is the BEST it has been, I have had slow - agonizingly slow - but steady improvement. I did lose ROM during the 3 weeks break between in home PT and outpatient PT.

I was planning to return to the gym in a week or so. I have gained 40 pounds in 8 months. I can at least do upper body weights? I am so out of shape now it is awful. Should I use bike or treadmill, or neither?
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Give your knee a rest and just do a little walking--by little I mean walking at a moderate pace for about 20 minutes; less if the knee feels stiff or hurting.
Here's the way I iced for about 40 minutes at a time--if it felt too cold after 20 minutes or so, I'd take it off for a couple of minutes. given the number of people here who ice for at least 40 minutes at a time who have had excellent recoveries, give it a try. It is swelling (whether you see it or not ) that inhibits ROM.
I gained more ROM when I did just a few PT exercises with lots of ice and elevation.
 
I've been told by numerous people that I should ice for 10 minutes. After that, they say I defeat the purpose as the body finds the temperature in that area is too low so it sends red blood cells rushing in to heat up the area, and that increases the swelling again.
I have no idea how or why people, supposedly professional, have that opinion but it is wrong. People have used ice for hours on end had had nothing but good results.
Hmm, so you suggest I stop the PT? That is fine by me. I know it will be an issue w/ my surgeon. Maybe you would call it slight?
Don't tell him! It's none of his business anyway if you choose not to do the PT. I never told my surgeon at the time but when I did tell him later he was okay with it.

I recommend you read my recovery threads to see what exercising I did!
First knee. Knee recovery - UK style
Second knee. Josephine's 2nd knee story - short version where I did even less!
I KNOW my ROM is not good for 12 weeks out. This is the BEST it has been, I have had slow - agonizingly slow - but steady improvement.
It's 'agonizingly slow' because all that you've been doing is stalling it. Did you not read that article I left you?Did you not understand that this can only get worse?
I am so out of shape now it is awful.
But you're only 11 weeks out from -MAJOR surgery! You cannot recover and to fitness training, it's conflicting activity. When you are about 6 months out, then you can hit the gym and do everything you want. Just not now!
 
N
I recommend you read my recovery threads to see what exercising I did!
First knee. Knee recovery - UK style
Second knee. Josephine's 2nd knee story - short version where I did even less!
Yes, I have read these numerous times. Starting when I was in Rehab.

It's 'agonizingly slow' because all that you've been doing is stalling it. Did you not read that article I left you? Did you not understand that this can only get worse?
Yes, I read it. Please understand, this is so hard for me to figure out. I was told -- read in so many places even on here -- that I would be up and walking the day of surgery. That didn't happen. Then folks said inpatient rehab will help you (I was going there anyway due to my living alone and no support), and that did help some but again it didn't work out as I had read it would. Next I come home and have inhome services with little improvement. And I keep reading and trying to figure out what to do and who to follow. I had that 3 week break between inhome and outpatient PT and lost ROM. What if I stop PT now and just ice and elevate as stated here and lose ground again. It gets scary Josephine!!!

So now kneeper says so many on here have done the ice and elevate and had a good outcome . . . . yes but I didn't start walking the day of surgery or even the next day, so what's to say my body is finely going to do what the majority do?!

But you're only 11 weeks out from -MAJOR surgery! You cannot recover and to fitness training, it's conflicting activity. When you are about 6 months out, then you can hit the gym and do everything you want. Just not now!

I can't go 6 months doing just ice and elevate . . . I have to get the other knee done so I can go find a job and start earning. I am living on savings which are going down, and I have nothing bringing that up. And it will be harder to get hired while I am out of shape. I have to get the other knee done, get in shape, and get to work.

BTW, I've already told 2 friends that I am starting ice and elevate (I already did one 1 hour session late this afternoon and plan one more before bed) and I will go to PT on Monday and notify them at that time I am stopping. So I've made that commitment in that I said it to 2 people and started in on it. There is no way to cancel Monday's session and not be billed for it; and insurance won't cover that so I'd have to pay the full amount. So I AM listening to you, I AM trying to get in gear and follow this.

Everyone says you need to strengthen the quads, the cardio glide does that, the quad sets do that, but you @Josephine, and @kneeper say take a break from all of it. OK, so I take a break. I went in to this knee op from crutches, folks say that is part of why my recovery is so hard. If I'm not exercising, I'll end up going in to the second knee op the same way - with little muscle tone. Then it seems like I am not going to be working for almost a full year. I go around and around like this, in my head, until I am in tears.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
So now kneeper says so many on here have done the ice and elevate and had a good outcome . . . . yes but I didn't start walking the day of surgery or even the next day, so what's to say my body is finely going to do what the majority do?!
Well, what you have been doing until now isn't working for you, so you have nothing to lose by trying something else.
There is absolutely no normal for this recovery. Everyone is different. Every knee is different. Can you accept that there will be minor differences in procedure and progress? - because there are.

I can't go 6 months doing just ice and elevate . . . I have to get the other knee done so I can go find a job and start earning.
No one is telling you to do 6 months just icing and elevating. We are advising you to do that for a month or so, to see how you go and let your knee settle down again. You won't be lying around, doing nothing, because you will be getting up and walking around, doing the little activities of daily living - and just walking a little is the best exercise of all for your knee. All of those activities will be increasing the strength and mobility of your leg.

All we are saying it stop all that punishing exercise, because it's irritating, inflaming and causing swelling to a knee that has been through major trauma. That poor knee has been cut open, had soft tissues pulled aside, had the kneecap turned over, had the ends cut off two large bones; the bones have been shaped to fit the new hardware, which has been hammered and cemented into them; then everything has been pulled back into place and stitched together. Don't you think your knee deserves a rest and gentle treatment after all that?. The very last thing it needs is all those punishing exercises.

Have you read these articles?
TKR: work “smarter” and not “harder”
Knee recovery - Lose the Work Ethic!!
Life in the slow lane

BTW, I've already told 2 friends that I am starting ice and elevate (I already did one 1 hour session late this afternoon and plan one more before bed) and I will go to PT on Monday and notify them at that time I am stopping. So I've made that commitment in that I said it to 2 people and started in on it. There is no way to cancel Monday's session and not be billed for it; and insurance won't cover that so I'd have to pay the full amount.
I'm glad you're going to give the gentle way a try and will not be doing all those exercises. :)
Can I suggest that when you go to Monday's PT session, you tell your therapist that you will not be doing all the exercises, as your knee needs a rest? You could ask for some gentle massage, to help with the swelling.

Don't enter into any discussions with your therapist. If the therapist wants to argue or discuss, just walk away. Remember that this is your knee, you are the only one who has the right to say what will happen to it, and your therapist has to respect your wishes. Your therapist can advise, but you can choose whether or not to accept that advice. In this situation, you are the boss. You don't have to please your therapist - she/he has to please you.

Everyone says you need to strengthen the quads, the cardio glide does that, the quad sets do that, but you @Josephine,
Strengthening the quads happens naturally, with normal daily activities, as your knee heals. Further exercise to strengthen the quads can be started later, when initial healing is complete and, for you, only after your knee has settled down and you are noticing an increase in ROM. There really is no need to rush, because how you feel now is not how you will feel in 6 months' time.

That cardio glide is very punishing to the knees, even if they are totally fit. It's completely unsuitable for your stage of recovery, and is causing a lot of your problem. To imagine someone with a relatively new knee replacement using it makes me shudder!
@kneeper say take a break from all of it. OK, so I take a break. I went in to this knee op from crutches, folks say that is part of why my recovery is so hard. If I'm not exercising, I'll end up going in to the second knee op the same way - with little muscle tone.
OK. Since you were on crutches before your operation, you will take a little longer to achieve full mobility and strength than a lot of people do. That is to be expected - but you will get there.
You won't go into the second knee operation in exactly the same state, because your knee is going to improve between now and then.

However, this is the most important thing you need to believe: you cannot make your knee heal faster by doing lots of exercise. If anything, too much exercise will slow down your recovery, as it already has done.
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Your knee won't be 100% recovered by 6 months, because it takes a full year for complete recovery, but it will be much, much better than it is now.

I hope this helps! :flwrysmile:
 
Hi Freedom, hope things improve for you soon. Please take the advice from Josephine,Celle and Kneeper, they have helped me so much with my recoveries from both of my TKRS. Try to take it one day at a time and not project all sorts of problems that haven't arrived yet, I do that sometimes too and it gets me to a really bad place! Just be gentle with yourself for awhile and think you'll be surprised at the improvement. Focus on eating healthy foods too, lots of veggies and some protein. The weight will come off in time. I wanted comfort food for the first month or do, lots of baloney sandwiches. That's what i needed at the time. Now I'm back to eating healthy and the weight is slowly going down. Everything happens in its own time, not fast enough.
 
I had that 3 week break between inhome and outpatient PT and lost ROM. What if I stop PT now and just ice and elevate as stated here and lose ground again. It gets scary Josephine!!!
Well yes, that would be how it goes because in the first 3-4 weeks, the swelling will be increasing and obstructing your ROM. That's okay. But the bad bit comes when you start doing heaps of the tough stiff - squats, wall slides, pool work and all that - and expect it to settle down anyway, that's when you get into the 'running hard to stand still' scenario.
I can't go 6 months doing just ice and elevate . . . I have to get the other knee done so I can go find a job and start earning.
I didn't for one moment suggest you do nothing. It's time you were getting on with your life - normal life - just without the boot camp stuff, that's all.
I went in to this knee op from crutches, folks say that is part of why my recovery is so hard.
Well people can find it tough to get going when they've had serious disability pre-op it certainly can make things hard post-op but the way to combat it is not doing all these exercises.
If I'm not exercising, I'll end up going in to the second knee op the same way - with little muscle tone.
Muscle tone does not dictate the quality of your recovery. You can work for that after about 4-6 months. Right after surgery is not the time.
 
I had practically zero muscle tone going into knee #1. I had torn my meniscus and could barely hobble for months (I had to wait until school was out for the tkr). I took it slow, listening to the knee and gradually increasing the exercise and by 6 months--and certainly by a year--I was much stronger. Knee #2 held me back a bit but I was still able to get stronger and even lose some weight gradually. (I would have lost more if not for my sweet tooth.:heehee: )

The thing that I found though, was that it had to be done gradually or I'd aggravate the tendons etc.
You've got to remember this is up to a year long process. For knee #1 I'd say it was over a year. But worth it in the end.
When you go into it in worse shape, sometimes that makes you somewhat of a tortoise (like tortoise and the hare) in recovery. But remember the tortoise won the race! :)
 
@Freedom it's hard but as much as you have to get back to work you have to think of you and the pain you are in.

I'm hoping to get away with PKR in my right knee but they messed about so long with the left that it may need a total.

But think of yourself and recovery. You know work is important but you could end up needing longer off by going back too soon or leaving other too long.

Harley sends big woofs the kind that make you feel instantly better, even it's for just a minute :rotfl::puppysmooze:
 
A few thoughts:
- I am going back to doing what I was supposed to do weeks 1 through 4: Ice and elevate.
- On Sunday morning, I phoned and left a voice message to cancel Monday afternoon's PT. Will follow up when I can speak to live person and cancel all scheduled PT appointments.
- I did the ice and elevate for an hour twice on Saturday evening, three times Sunday. I did little else. Then about 3 PM I took the dogs for their walkies. Felt good! Better than it has. Obviously we have to end where we start, at the car. 3/4 of the way on our route and uh-oh, feeling some pain below left knee. No choice but to keep going and get back to the car. So now I know, next time make a shorter circuit and build up to this route. Went home, ice and elevate. One hour, still ouchy. Took half hour break to tend to things and then got set again for another hour of ice and elevate. Half hour in, finally that pain left! (I did finish the hour.) I think this is the FIRST time since surgery that I could actually see / feel a change from movement, and then relief from ice -and-elevate. That's a good thing!

Edit to add: Just phoned in to cancel all PT appointments. Reply: "Are you self discharging?" I said yes. "OK, I will let them know, and they will notify your doctor."

Just to get us all smiling, here is a 2 minute vid showing why my fluffs love their walkies:


@MezRebuilt you will enjoy this vid!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
What a lovely place to walk dogs having a fantastic time. Lovely vid. When I started getting out I did just shot walk but took ball thrower. I did no more than 250m then I did s little more and then with friend did longer one but I think it was to far to soon I enjoyed it it but was in pain not do much knee but pelvis hip and back but even my friend said the way in walking now has changed so much. I'm more upright not sideways an leaning forward. Knee was okay but swollen just a short walk yesterday but damp todsy so sways makes me worse so I've and rest. Good luck @Freedom but shorten walk you will do more better to do shorter walks mx
 
So now I know, next time make a shorter circuit and build up to this route.
Oh yes - don't forget that. If you walk 15 minutes somewhere, you have to walk 15 minutes back again!

But I am so pleased you are feeling the benefit of our suggestions. They do work!
 
@Josephine, well I had a phone call from my PT person. She wanted to know why I was stopping, what I planned on doing instead, did I know there is a window of opportunity? (told her that is just one theory, she said it is what they are taught and what they are told by the surgeons), warned I would lose what ROM I have (that is my one fear!), I've done so well gained 20 degrees and should keep it up. Warned that if I don't cooperate, most likely the surgeon won't be willing to do my other knee. Ended by letting me know she has to notify doctor I have self - discharged, and if I want to return I have to go in and see the surgeon to get the order.
 
Ohh threat, threat, threat! What a horrid bully!

Well all she's said is wrong! There is no window of opportunity, it's a myth, as is the 'use it or lose it' mantra! And if your surgeon does refuse to do your other knee, there are plenty of other surgeons out there! Don't be intimidated by her. It's your choice and you have a perfect and inalienable right to decide what you want to do.
 

Members online

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom