TKR Freedom works on recovery<<

Hi Freedom, So very sorry to hear about your Dad passing. Life can seem so unfair sometimes. Stay strong, you are in my thoughts & prayers.
 
I am so sorry about your dad. I will be praying for your peace and for your ROM improvement. Please don't over do this week. You are far from healed. God bless you.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry to hear of your Fathers passing, my condolences to you and your family.
 
I am so sorry to hear of your Father's Passing. These things are always so difficult. Especially when our coping mechanisms are already down from this ever-lasting recovery. Prayers are with you and your family.
 
Thank you all for the condolences.

My Dad had dementia, diabetes, and a host of other issues. He moved in with me, in RI, Dec 2, 2000. I stopped working to care for him. Initially we had lots of fun, he was still driving. As the years passed, I had to work hard. Eventually it became too much for one person, and he moved to the nursing home. I then embarked on a 2.5 year project of clearing out and fixing up the house where I was born and raised; 86 miles one way. I would take the dogs with me, and leave the cats. Dealing with contractors, monitoring their progress, going through all the things a family collects over 48 years. Sold many things on craigslist, donated a great deal, and some did get tossed. I moved to the house May 6th, 2015. So I went from being 1.5 miles from Dad, to being 1.5 hours away. I then had to deal with selling my RI home. I would go see Dad twice a week.

Last visit to see him was Jan 9th, I took the 5 dogs with me. He loved them, and they were always enjoyed by everyone at the home: staff, residents, vendors and visitors alike. I intended to go once more before my LTKR, but once I stopped the NSAID the pain was too much. I was speaking with him on the phone a few times a week. Last time I spoke with him was Friday afternoon. Sunday morning he passed.

Since I am still not approved to drive, nothing I can do. My brother (only other child) lives about 7 miles from the nursing home, so he is heading over this afternoon to clear out Dad's room. (Bro moved down there soon after Dad moved in with me.)

Sunday, the calls from the nurse started about 9:30 AM. I did not do my exercises at all, nor did I ice or elevate. I just sat in the recliner, on the phone, on the laptop, dealing with 'stuff.' PT arrived today; my knee, lower leg and ankle are quite swollen, and my ROM has been set back quite a bit. (From 85 without help to 68 with help, and extension from -4 is now -8). Well, It is what it is, I just have to go on. At some point I will improve again. Dad was 89.
 
You did everything you could for your father. Don't spend any time on thinking that you could have done better.
Now, just go along with what you have to do. :console2:

Your ROM will improve again. Probably, it wan't the lack of exercises, but the lack of elevation and icing that caused you leg to be swollen and the ROM to decease temporarily. All normal. Nothing to worry about.
 
I lost both my parents within six months of each other two years ago. Like you, I had put my own family on hold and had moved in with them to take care of them. In hindsight, it was the best thing I could have done for them and Iam sure they knew how much I loved and cared for them. I believe your dad knew as well...you did the very best that you could. You showed him how much you loved him. Hang onto that knowledge and be comforted. No regrets.

It is now time to focus on yourself again. Be sure to keep that leg elevated and iced, even if you have to do stuff on the phone or computer. Your dad is watching over you now...make him happy by taking care of YOU.
 
I am so sorry about the loss of your dear father. May you find comfort in all the happy times you shared with him.
 
Things just keep happening. Now we have a winter weather advisory for tomorrow, Wed, the funeral day. I am going to be out and about in it with my VERY new knee. Grrrrr. PT advised me to use my cane and keep the walker handy in the car as it will be a long day, and I won't likely make it the whole day on the cane. I am definitely using the walker at the cemetery; uneven ground. Elsewhere, well, I'll see.
 
You are in my prayers for a safe and peace filled day tomorrow. Don't be ashamed to use the walker all day. If using it enables you to make it all day, then use it. Funeral homes help people of all physical abilities. Let them know your limitations and that you need help. They may have a transport chair or wheelchair available also.
 
Yesterday (funeral) was a long day, but I made it. Last evening (after an hour's nap) I did my exercises and used the 2 exercise machines. And I realized something very odd: my "old" knee (right) was aching more than my new one! Pretty neat!

PT this afternoon. I finally reached a 90 degree bend, with help from the therapist. I am 5 weeks post op (yesterday). She said when I see my OS on Mar 4 he is likely going to want to do an MUA. That's nice. Not going to happen.

Next week is a transition week; home PT will be twice not 3 times, and second time I will be discharged. I start off site PT on Monday Mar 7. Already have the initial appointment made! I will be attending rehab at the local YMCA, where I am a member. I want to start water walking and other warm water exercises, even if it is on my own (with suggestions from PT). I really think I will respond well with that. I'm a swimmer, have been for years, so it will feel great just to be in the warm pool again.
 
I am glad things went well with the funeral. You were in my thoughts and prayers.

I am not a doctor (and don't play one on TV) but I think 90 degrees is pretty awesome for 5 weeks!! Did the therapist take into account you had just been on your knee most of the day for a funeral the day before and your leg was probably sore and swollen on the inside? I am glad you realize a MUA is not appropriate at this time.
 
I did some walking today. Actually, I did a LOT of walking today, and was close to tears a few times. When I got back in the car and sat, I immediately felt better. Eventually I paid attention and . . . surprise, surprise, the pain is on the 'old' knee, not the new one! I knew both were bone on bone, both need replacing, we did the worse of the 2 first. But to realize I have recovered enough that the pain bringing me to tears is now the old knee: WOW!

AND . . . look what you can get on Amazon!!!
 
Friday morning was my first post op visit at surgeon's office. (LTKR Jan 20) They took xrays, all looks great! Extension is also great! Bend is well behind the norm, which I knew. I start outpatient PT next Wed, I have 6 weeks to next visit. He said people DO get there, some like me are slower than others. Not being able to start PT till Day 6 post op, then losing about 5 days of work at home (my Dad passed, had to deal with that, funeral etc.)

Also, he had been advised of my contact w/ Patient Advocate, and he knows some of what happened. He got an earful from me! Second knee is at least 3 months off, maybe a bit longer in my case.

And, typical of me, I spent much of the visit crying. I get so overwhelmed with it all. And I have to stare at the floor, don't dare look at all the posters on the walls, knees, shoulders, ugh. I do need to focus and do my stretching at home. I have Tramadol to take once I get home from PT sessions. New med for me.
 
I am so tired of this. My OS won't give me a temporary handicap placard. I have to have my car door open as wide as possible to get in and out. Everything takes so LONG this way. Going down cellar to do the laundry, changing the sheets on my bed, everything takes ages. I just want to be able to move freely and comfortably again. Seems like it has been forever, but actually I am just 7 weeks post op. Of course, I was on crutches for 3 months waiting for my surgery date to arrive; but at least I could bend the leg and get in and out of the car. I am also tired of using the raised toilet, but I know I can't remove that yet, either. Well, tomorrow I start outpatient PT.
 
:console2:

Hang in there. You WILL make it and look back at this time as a struggle that made you realize just how strong you are. It is frustrating and it makes you angry and tired. You are in my thoughts and prayers.
 
Oh, the raised toilet seat! Mine is only a two inch riser and I have installed bars on the sides, but still! This morning my son jumped into the shower before I could get in there, so I went to the powder room and plunked myself down without thinking(still half asleep). Wow...I was very quickly reminded of what a difference those two inches make!!
 

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom