Guest viewing is limited

TKR Fractured patella/quad repair 3 years post TKR

The "good" knee often hurts more during the operated knee's recovery, because it's doing more helping. Not that you may not need it replaced, but it may settle down slightly as the other knee recovers.
 
Have you tried icing it, too? It might help. I think if your quality of life doesn't improve and your unhappy with it, you might have to decide if you're will this way. Of course, if time when your new knee take over some more your old knee might recover some. I hope so.
 
Thank you all...
Yes, I am icing it regularly. I am also *back* on pain meds, *back* to walking with a cane, etc.

This knee was actually worse on xray than my surgical knee, but at that point, I chose to have the other done because it was more symptomatic.

I don't think it is going to get better...

Looks like I'll be talking to the OS Tuesday.
Kim
 
Well.. a bit of an update...
Talked with my OS at my 12 week update...the right new knee joint looks to be doing just fine. Xrays show that it is perfectly in place! I still have quite a lot of soft tissue type pain just lateral of the patella...that will continue to improve I assume.

The BIG news is, that we set a date of November 1st for the left knee to be replaced. So...here we go again!!
 
Hi @Poohstew happy to hear you had a good report from your OS, I'm sure the soft tissue pain will continue to decrease.
I hope everything will go really well for you on the 1st November, just think, you should be feeling much better with two good knees in time for Christmas.
Tabby xxx
 
My TKR was three years ago Oct 29th. I thought it was a perfect time that would allow me to enjoy resting at home in cooler weather, not have to go to work in snow and watch all the holiday movies. You're going to be busy in the next few weeks. :yes:
 
Well...surgery for knee replacement #2 (Left) was today...and so far, a wildly different experience! (My right knee was done July 12!)

I was the last case of the day, arrived at 9:45 a.m., was prepped, and taken in....not sure what time.

Spinal anesthesia with IV sedation. It took the anesthesiologist multiple tries to get the spinal placed, but it wasn't too uncomfortable, and he finally hit the mark. (I have degenerative disk disease...so not much space between the vertebrae...but let's not talk about THAT!)

I was awake during most of the surgery again but this time was not really aware of what was going on past the drape by my head. Had some nice conversation with the anesthesiologist though! Recovery room was great, and then back to the same hospital room I was in the last time!

Surgery was longer this time...about an hour and a half, compared with 75 minutes before. They said it took 60 minutes work time, from first open to getting ready to close. Surgeon told the family all was well. I haven't seen the incision yet, but my leg is wrapped up like crazy with bandages for now.

I am feeling GREAT! Virtually no pain...maybe a 1 on the pain scale is sneaking up on me tonight. Incision itches a bit under all the padding. I sat up most of the evening in the chair and ate well! No nausea! Whew...cuz who needs that, right?

I just got up and walked a full lap around the ortho floor and am settled in bed with my TED hose, my leg squeezes, ice pack on my knee, and sleep is settling over me. No tourniquet pain like last time. My quad muscle is awake and I have full control over my leg, UNLIKE last time. I can get in and out of bed, all on my own with no assist devices. AND, I'm not swearing like a sailor due to the pain...like last time. Truth. I should get an anchor tattoo....

So...that's today's update! Cross your fingers, or say a prayer for me tomorrow! The day after is always the worst, but I have faith that all will be well!

Kim
 
Congratulations on Knee Number Two.
Here's the post-op reading list for you, as a reminder:
First are the BoneSmart mantras ....
- rest, elevate, ice and take your pain meds by the clock
- if it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physiotherapist (PT) - to do it to you. exercise only gently
- if your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again
- if you won't die if it's not done, don't do it
- never stand when you can sit, never sit when you can lie down, never stay awake when you can go to sleep!
- be active as much as you need to be but not more than is necessary, meaning so much that you end up being in pain, exhausted or desperate to sit down or lie down!

Next is a FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) thread.

And here are some very crucial articles
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Energy drain for TKRs

Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Activity progression for TKRs
Heel slides and how to do them

Extension: how to estimate it and ways to improve it

Elevation is the key
Ice to control pain and swelling

Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR

Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

Best wishes - do keep us updated on your progress.
 
Good luck @Poohstew. My worst knee on X-ray was fairly asymptomatic until recently. I made the decision to go bilateral in January next year. I didn't want the 'good' knee to let me down.
 
Congrats on your new knee, I'm glad you are having a better time of it than with the first knee. Here's to a nice smooth recovery.
Tabby xxx
 
Wow! Sounds like a great experience, but I'd have to tell them to put me out! I could not be awake for this surgery. Hoping the day after is good as well!
 
Day 2...bad day. Not staying ahead of pain and I was very direct with the nurse about her failings, keeping me only on Norco 5/325 when I was taking two 7.5/325 for pain before surgery. Last time by now they had me on two 10/325's every 4 hours plus 15 mg MS Contin 2x daily. Told them I would NOT join group therapy this afternoon if my pain was not under control.

35 staples...incision longer ... that astounded me. Posted a pic in the knee scar thread.
 
Oh no, you need better pain relief than that. Day 2 has got to be one of the worst, I hope they listen to you. Well done for not agreeing to PT. I hope things get better very soon. You had one more staple than me. I had no idea how many there would be. I was really scared to see the inscision, but I had a special dressing which stayed on until the staples came out, and then a waterproof Tagederm dressing after that.
You take care and rest.
Tabby xxx
 
35 staples is what I had, too. Be sure and keep after the nurses for adequate pain control. And good girl for refusing PT. Your healing and comfort comes first! Your knee will come back on it's own without any help from anyone!
 
Day 2 I needed an iv push of toradol to get over the pain hump. For me, the nurses could give what the doctor ordered for pain relief. You can insist they call the OS to manage your pain better.
 
Hoping your pain is better controlled and you're resting well today.
 
I agree with the others. Keep on at the nurses until you get the pain relief that you need. It's so important to keep ahead of the pain.
 
Hi all. I am 2 years post TKR both knees, done 12 weeks apart. My left knee has never felt quite "right", but x-rays have all shown things were fine. (I have a lot of "clunking" in the left knee, and it frequently feels as though it slips out of place, and seems slightly unstable, but have always been told that can be normal.)

Over the last few weeks, I have had a considerable increase in pain around the front, and lateral side of this knee. Pain is worse when in the act of sitting down or standing, getting in and out of the car and and is very stiff after sitting for some time. I also have great difficulty lifting the leg while laying flat, such as during the night.

This didn't seem as though it was precipitated by a certain event. I've been wracking my brain, and I do remember falling on my tush when a rolling chair went out from under me... No worries there, but I did have to kneel to get up off of the floor. I also was kneeling at one point when we had an issue with our bathtub. Both of these times were on ceramic tile, but I did not specifically notice pain after either incidence. I do not typically make a habit out of kneeling... Unless it is on a soft surface, and then only briefly.

Could I have damaged something? My implant does seem like it it looser and more unstable since this pain started. Barely any visible swelling... It may be my imagination. Walking stiff-legged, burning, fullness, tightness and occasional sharp severe pain that makes me cry out...ie: scream.

I have an appt with my surgeon tomorrow. Until then, any thoughts? Nervous and concerned!!

Thanks!
Kim
 
Hi @Poohstew
I'm sorry to see you've had to come back with a problem.
I'm glad, though, that you've made an appointment to see your surgeon.
Do let us know how you get on, won't you?

You'll notice that I have merged your newest thread with your original recovery thread.
Although it's been two years since you last posted, your old thread is still possibly relevant.

How did you get on with your second TKR? You didn't post much after that one.

For several reasons, we prefer that you only have one recovery thread:
  • That way, we have all your information in one place. This makes it easier to go back and review your history before providing advice.
  • If you keep starting new threads, you miss the posts and advice others have left for you in the old threads, and some information may be unnecessarily repeated
  • Having only one thread will act as a diary of your progress that you can look back on.
So please post any updates, questions or concerns about your knees here.
Don't worry that we won't see your question because, between us, the staff read all new posts every day.
If you need an urgent response to a question, just tag a member of staff.
How to tag another member; how to answer when someone tags you

If you prefer a different thread title, just post what you want and we'll get it changed for you.

Here are the instructions on finding your thread, How can I find my threads and posts? . Many members bookmark their thread, so they can find it when they log on.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom