Guest viewing is limited

TKR Four yrs post op and my RTKR is unstable

Thank you so much, I am always on the lookout for my next possible surgeon. Baltimore is definitely worth the drive.

What is his name? Bonesmart is always looking for surgeons to add to our surgeon locator, especially when a member is happy with them!
 
Thank you so much, I am always on the lookout for my next possible surgeon. Baltimore is definitely worth the drive.

What is his name? Bonesmart is always looking for surgeons to add to our surgeon locator, especially when a member is happy with them!
Jockette: My surgeon is Philip R. Neubauer, R.Ph., M.D. He's in the Orthopedics and Joint Replacement group at Mercy Medical Center in Baltimore, MD. All of the care I received at Mercy was excellent. Even the food was good!
 
Jockette: My surgeon is Philip R. Neubauer, R.Ph., M.D. He's in the Orthopedics and Joint Replacement group at Mercy Medical Center in Baltimore, MD. All of the care I received at Mercy was excellent. Even the food was good!
Thanks for that information. I had my first baby at Mercy Hospital, many years ago. I will be sure to check out your surgeon.
 
I'm 10 weeks Post-Op. I'm walking on my own (I take my cane when I'm expecting to be out in the world on uneven ground), sleeping most of the night, and generally feeling great! Until a couple of nights ago, I was taking 1 Tylenol PM at bedtime. Last night I didn't take the Tylenol PM and I woke up more than once with an aching leg. I'm posting to reinforce what we're being told here at Bonesmart: The recovery from TKR is long and generally takes 6-12 months. Even though I'm almost 3 months out and doing quite well, my knee is still healing and I need a Tylenol PM to settle my leg at night. It's a good reminder to continue to ice and elevate and to NOT overdo it during the day. Patience!
 
4 MONTHS POST-OP
Hello All. It's been 6 weeks since I last posted about myself so it seems like it's time to update.
I'm better every day. I'm walking around our neighborhood to build my strength and endurance. Now that I've got two good knees, I've noticed that my gait has improved. I don't trip and stumble like I used to do. Yay! I'm looking forward to riding my bicycle and to learning how to kayak. Life is Good!

I'm posting to remind all of us that this recovery is a 6-12 month journey. My newest knee is still warm to the touch. There's lots of healing still going on under the surface. I've still got numbness (better than pain!). And, occasionally a zinger reminds me that nerves are still reattaching and growing. Be patient and kind to yourself. Accept help from others. Put one foot in front of the other and keep on healing!
 
Mm, you sound really upbeat, that’s great! Keep it up. Just don’t let greater expectations drag you down again. Good luck with the cycling and kayaking, having a goal to work towards is such a bonus.
 
17 Weeks Post-OP.
Just when I think I'm "healed" my knees (yes, both of them!) remind me that this really and truly is a 6-12 month journey. After my RTKR in June 2019, I didn't notice any differences in my LEFT knee. My RIGHT knee healed nicely and that was that. Then I got my LTKR in April 2021 and, as I heal from that surgery, I'm noticing how much the knees, legs, hips, and back really do affect each other. The major pain from my most recent LTKR is gone. But, my RIGHT knee seems to have "woken up" and is making its presence known now that it is expected to handle more of the load. Nothing major. Just some tightness and twinges. My body parts are re-aligning themselves and learning how to work together correctly. My gait is better and I don't trip and stumble over my own feet anymore. Both of my knees feel warm to the touch and I know that means that healing is happening in both places. Amazing!!
 
Glad to see this -- I am also experiencing pain in places that I didn't expect. I knew I had some bowing before surgery so I kind of realized the realignment was going to have an effect, but it is nice to hear that others are having similar symptoms. I've only had one TKR so far, but I will try to remember this when the time comes for the right knee to go. :)
 
This has helped me , I am 14 weeks post op, still in pain , very stiff swollen knee . However my mobility is very good , I am climbing 24 stairs several times a day , walking reasonable distances . Just keep losing patience when the pain reminds me I am not out of the woods.
Onward and upwards
 
@Noanie and @GZGirl22 :
Thank you for your posts. Isn't interesting the many ways our bodies adjust to not only the assault of major surgery but also the requisite healing that follows the surgery? I've learned so much from Bonesmart and the posts of my fellow TKR'ers. I wish I'd known about Bonesmart before my RTKR in June 2019. It's helped me so much to know what to expect this second time around.

TKRs are MAJOR surgeries that impact not just our knees but many other parts of our bodies. After my first TKR I didn't know that my blood pressure could be unstable or that, after the spinal wore off, my knee would feel like it was on fire or that I had the right to refuse painful PT or that, well, you get the idea. Then, after my second TKR in April 2021, I didn't know that my first TKR knee would "wake up" and twinge and ache at times while my more recent knee was also busy healing.
Knowledge is power!

I have a friend who is scheduled to get his unstable painful knees replaced six weeks apart this fall. I'm hoping that he takes the time to look at Bonesmart before he goes under the knife. Otherwise, I'm afraid that he's going to be really surprised by the pain and by how long it'll take to recover. He is severely bowlegged so I've recommended that he read posts by forum members who have had their legs straightened by this surgery. After my friend's first TKR in September, the ligaments, tendons, muscles, etc. in BOTH of his legs will be adjusting to his new knee. Then, six weeks later, after the second TKR, all of the components in BOTH of his legs (and hips too, I guess) will be adjusting all over again. Eventually, he should be walking pain-free for the first time in many years but it will take some time to recover completely (6-12 months).
 
You are sooo correct.
This surgery is like childbirth...unless you've been through it, there is no way to imagine the pain and trauma you will endure. While some have a better time, from what I am reading, < 1% have a smooth sailing easy breezy recovery! The obstacles can be planned for, but they come sometimes when you do not expect them, and sometimes your best laid plans do not work.
There's no way :censored: I'm having another replacement. Not unless they can put me in a coma for 6-12 months until I am fully recovered. I'll admit it, this is the hardest journey of my life.
 
After my friend's first TKR in September, the ligaments, tendons, muscles, etc. in BOTH of his legs will be adjusting to his new knee. Then, six weeks later, after the second TKR, all of the components in BOTH of his legs (and hips too, I guess) will be adjusting all over again. Eventually, he should be walking pain-free for the first time in many years but it will take some time to recover completely (6-12 months).

That makes a good argument for double TKR so you only have to adjust once, though I imagine the recovery is challenging.
 
Most of us who have had one and HAVE TO go back for the other, do so with some reluctance I suppose. I am having #2 in November. I know what to expect this time, so I am hoping it goes well! I had the first one 6 months ago, and I feel it is my stronger knee...can't wait to have 2 good knees.
Sorry you have had such a rough time of it!
 
This is partly why it took me 11 years between knees. I am finally at the point where this is interfering with my quality of life, especially these past couple of weeks. You know it's bad when you are looking forward to the long, painful recovery just to get away from this current pain.
 
6 1/2 Months Post-Op and Doing GREAT!
Hello All. It's been awhile since my last post so time for an update.

I can walk without pain. Am I completely "pain-free?" No! My knees and legs are stiff when I get up in the morning. My knees let me know when I overdo it (like the time I stood at a program when I could've sat down for at least part of it). But, for the most part, I'm living my life and, most importantly, I'm not being held back by painful knees. Last week, my husband, puppy-dog, and I completed a 6-mile hike in Cape Henlopen State Park. Amazingly, my knees and legs did not ache the next day! Score! A few days ago, my husband and I climbed 56+ steps to reach the top of the East End Lighthouse. Score!

I know that I'm still healing. My knee is still warmer than my other replaced knee (June 2019) and there's still swelling. Every once and awhile I still get those crazy "zingers." Parts of my knee are still numb. The scar is fading but it's still got a ways to go before it's as "invisible" as my other replaced knee. I know that it'll be at least another 6 months before I go through the day without even thinking about my knees.

To those of you who aren't as far along in your knee recovery journey: HANG IN THERE!
 
@MonarchMama Thank you so much for sharing this! It's wonderful to read a success story -- gives hope to those of us who are still early in the journey!
 
To those of you who aren't as far along in your knee recovery journey: HANG IN THERE!
Thanks for stopping by to encourage the rest of us. I receive it!
 
Back
Top Bottom