TKR Four years and Never Recovered

My apologies for being so long. It took me time to get the x-rays and also had a death in the family. The x-rays no matter how I tried to download are not in a format that I can download. I'm assuming they are in a format that hospitals use and I can't right now remember the extension on the file. I couldn't download them to show you. Today is a rainy day and my leg/bursitis is swollen. I fear this isn't going to go away. I have limited activities that I can't do mainly exercise walking. Sigh. I thought I would be better after TKR.
 
Hi @Emmybones. Have you considered getting a second opinion? You are more than a year out from surgery and can approach other surgeons to look at your knee. Most people ARE better after TKR and certainly after having recovered a full year. It's time to get another set of surgeon-eyes on your implant and find out if there's a problem that can be fixed. Of course you want to feel better than this!
 
Hi @Emmybones. Have you considered getting a second opinion? You are more than a year out from surgery and can approach other surgeons to look at your knee. Most people ARE better after TKR and certainly after having recovered a full year. It's time to get another set of surgeon-eyes on your implant and find out if there's a problem that can be fixed. Of course you want to feel better than this!

Hi susieshoes,
Yes! I JUST made an appointment with a surgeon that my friend has gone to. I'm nervous though because I hope it's not that the implant was wrong size or something. That will open up a whole new problem. We'll see. I'm waiting for a call back form the doc's office.
 
I think you made a good move getting a second opinion. When is your appointment?
 
I think you made a good move getting a second opinion. When is your appointment?

I have an appointment for the end of next week. I HOPE the surgeon won't tell me there's something wrong with this implant. That would be a bigger problem but I don't want to jump the gun. Fingers crossed.
 
Be sure and let us know what he says.
 
Well, a long time after because it's hard to keep up with a full time job and life issues... so I went to the second doc for a second opinion and guess what? He said yes it's normal for swelling to happen. He can order an MRI on the former surgery knee, and ordered an MRI on the left. My left has pain and makes a mad click, but my surgeon originally said, it wasn't bad enough to be replaced. Well, guess what. He had the left MRI done, and he said the same thing. But instead of wanting to pursue a second opinion on my right knee he said I should go back to the doc who did the surgery. I did that already. It's now going to be two years at the end of March. My knee is still very swollen most days. It is today. Honestly, the prosthesis doesn't feel badly it's all the tissue on top of my knee where I indicated in the diagram above and well could be bursitis, but it doesn't go away. This is what my surgeon told me. It may not go away. I ice it but I still have a deficit, can't exercise very much with a swollen leg.

So that's it. Legally, he didn't want to deal with surgery by another surgeon. Sigh.
 
I'd keep trying to find another doctor to look at you right knee. You can ask when you call for an appointment if the doctor would see someone who had a knee replacement almost two years ago. I think most doctors want you to go to the original doctor the first year, after that you should be free to see anyone.
 
My partial was one week before you. I am still having a lot of discomfort also.

At my one year check up I had a list of 9 concerns/discomforts. My surgeon read them, out loud. He only addressed one-my knee aches in cold weather because I have metal in my knee. Well, I figured that one out for myself.

I believe several of those concerns are symptoms of a loose implant. I would think he would have recognized them. He didn’t offer me any further testing. He said my X-ray is fine. Needless to say, I won’t be going back to him.

I had a second opinion in June, at 15 months by a surgeon 2 hours away. He was not interested, he actually took my list of concerns out of my hand (nicely) and set them aside and said, just talk to me. I was so flustered I forgot what was on my list. He looked at my X-ray and said it wasn’t loose. He spent maybe 15 minutes with me.

I am now close to making an appointment for a third opinion.

Getting second opinions is a whole different ball game. I have 2 names to check out. I hope I will be able to work with one of them. I will be interviewing them for the job carefully.

I hope you will be able to find a doctor that you can work with, also. I understand what you’re going through.
 
I have this problem 2 years and 3 months after TKR. I'm in pain now. I have my pain where the pes ansurine bursa is. I went to a doc for a second opinion and even though he said he would do a MRI he reneged and told me to go back to my original surgeon. I did that last year. Now I'm going again in two weeks. I can't take this. I want it to be over.
 
@Emmybones - I'm sorry to read you're still having this problem. I hope you get some help from your surgeon this time.

Have you read this article?
Pes Anserine and MPFL pain

You'll see that I have moved your post from the other thread about pre-patellar bursitis and into your own thread.

By putting the above post in her recovery thread, you were disrupting the other person's thread, which should be about her own recovery.
Forum etiquette: being polite when posting

Please post any updates or questions about your recovery in your own thread. We will see them there, as someone checks all the new posts every day.
If you need an urgent response to a question, just tag a member of staff.
How to tag another member; how to answer when someone tags you

If you prefer a different thread title, just post what you want and we'll get it changed for you.

Just in case you couldn't find your thread, here are the instructions on finding your thread,
How can I find my threads and posts? . Many members bookmark their thread, so they can find it when they log on.
 
I also have pes ansurine bursa inflammation. I do the stretches when it flares up and they help a lot. So does BioFreeze rub.
 
Hi,

I've been struggling and struggling. Ten years with knee pain all together. I finally had a TKR right four years ago (2017) my knee was still was never correct. I hear of others who say it was the best thing they ever did, they are playing golf and tennis -- I had a horrible time during the replacement, it was an ordeal... I would consider it horrendous. And, I did everything I should have, everything the docs said and went through more PT than most people.

Four years later, soon to be five years later, my leg is still swollen. I went back to my original surgeon in 2018 and 2019 a few times, and she couldn't give me a reason or answer as to why my knee remained swollen. She teaches other residents and is in a high level position and all she does are hip and knee replacements. She said I have pet ansurine bursitis (autocorrect is making it say "pet.") - pes

I can't tell you how many times and they say I have pet anserine bursitis which I wrote about here on the forums but they cannot tell me why I have it or why it does not go away. I know I have osteoarthritis but this has caused a huge inflammatory reaction in my entire body. My knee is always painful and swollen and huge. I went to three other doctors for second opinion, and they were puzzled, tested me for infections; I have no infections, and the prosthetic is in the correct place and there's nothing wrong with it. I have a Smith-Nephew prosthetic. So they do not understand why I have the swelling. As I've been reading, there can be tendon issues and that this is a reason why one can be very swollen or there can be an error that was made with soft tissue and tendons. Does anyone know about this?

Yes I am overweight but I can't really exercise because I can only walk on a flat surface for a mile and that's a struggle but I can do it. I can't really do much else. Everything is inflamed and Big Pharma pills like Diclofenac, etc., can give y ou heart problem and stroke. As usual with big Pharma, you don't have to worry about your current problem because it will bring on another or death - yes, black humor, but it's true. I would love to hike and do many other things.

My left knee which has osteoarthritis also has a little bit of bursitis but it is not anywhere near as swollen as my replaced knee.

I never thought about legal ramifications but I am really fed up and disgusted with having this pain and swelling for ten years, especially after a TKR.

Any comments would be so welcome. Thank you.
 

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom