Guest viewing is limited

THR Four Weeks Since Surgery

Status
Not open for further replies.
Getting the right hip replaced September 9 at 11 AM. When I asked if there was a subsequent date available with an early start time (I prefer to be 1st or 2nd) she said the next opening wasn't until Sept 30th. So the 9th it is. Maybe one or two ahead of me will get cold feet and I can move up a few hours.
 
@nogods, we can change your thread title if you'd like something different. Some folks don't seem to have the tool to do it themselves. Just tag one of us and let us know what you want.
 
@nogods, To tag a forum member, all you have to do is to type @ directly in front of their user name with no space between the @ and the user name. Be sure that you correctly type the user name or it will not work. While you are typing, a box will appear in the bottom right of your screen; you may click on the correct user name there rather than continue typing. To be sure that the member is tagged, look at your post after you have clicked "Post Reply"; if the tag worked, the user name will now be blue and underlined.

Do not follow the user name with a hyphen (-) or have a punctuation mark directly in front of the @. The computer recognizes this as part of the user name, which it is not, and the tag fails. Also on occasion if the @ is the first thing on the line, it may be necessary to indent a couple of time to get it to work. This is why it is necessary to check your post after you have clicked "Post Rely" to be sure the tag has worked.

When the tag works, the member will get an alert at the top of his/her page, and by clicking the alert will be taken directly to your post.

 
The in home PT just left after her last visit. All is going well. She approved of the crab bar and overhead strap I installed for getting on and off my recumbent trike so I can get back to ridding this afternoon.
 
Well..it was all going good. Just before leaving she noticed a sore on the outside of my operated side ankle. She said it looked like an infected burn about the diameter of a baseball. I've noticed some pain there the last few days but didn't pay much attention to it. She said I should go see the doctor about it.

Primary care doc said to come right in because of the risk of it being an infection. By the time I left there was no certainty as to what it is but I was given a prescription for a salve to put on, but because of its location and my restrictions, they are going to arrange for a visiting nurse to check on it in the next day or two. I put the salve on with a long reach shoe horn.

But more interesting was the visit to the doctor's office. I was asked if I was willing to be seen first by a med student. Fine with me, we need a never ending supply of doctors and they need to get practice somehow.

Unfortunately, the med student didn't read the chart first. She just read the intake nurse's notes and thenn aske me "Are you having any problems with your joints?" I just said yes, then she asked "can you be more specific." I replied "I had my left hip joint replaced 16 days ago, I'm having my right hip replaced Sept 9, I don''t have an ACL in my right knee, I've had 4 knee operations, I get synvisics shots in both knees every 6 months which will continue until ineefective and then I get knee replacements, and I have ankylosing spondylosis sever enough to require treatment with methatrexate." Her response was just "OK, let me look at that sore on your ankle..."

After she did her examine and evaluation she left then returned with the doctor. I don't know what she had concluded but I wonder if it was the same as the docotor's conclusion
 
Hope your foot sore heals up nicely for you.
Interesting experience with the med student. I guess she ran out of room writing your 'more specific' answer down. Ha.
 
After one of my surgeries (not THR) there was a resident in the hospital who was convinced that I had bone cancer. I first met him about an hour after I got to my room from Recovery and the first thing he said was that I was there because I had bone cancer. I said no and he insisted that he was right. This went on for days and I ended up "firing" him.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk
 
It's been three weeks since my left hip replacement surgery. I'm still doing a lot better than I had imagined. I only use a cane or rollator for convenience now - I can walk normal without either, although I don't know how far I'd want to test that on my mile+ long walks at this point, but around the house I only use the rollator to carry stuff and the cane to go up and down the stairs to the basement.
 
Today was a good day. This morning I got in a 2 mile walk before I felt my stop pain. Then I spent the day running errands. I had to ice the knees more than the hip after getting home. After dinner I rode the recumbent trike to 3.2 miles before I felt my stop pain. No knee pain from the trike so I'm just icing the hip tonight. I'm really getting my money's worth out of that iceman machine.
 
Nogods - you're doing great after only 3 weeks? Wow! It'll be 1 week since I did my THR tomorrow so I hope I'm doing that well by then


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@Keecamp don't get down on yourself if you don't heal as quickly as others might have. The number of factors that impact on everyone's recover are endless and make it impossible to compare one person's recovery to another.

I hope my right hip replacement goes as well this September, but I'm aware that it might not. I'm hoping that if my second hip is a more difficult recovery that I'll be able to focus on what needs to be done rather than wasting energy fretting over any differences.
 
Hey Nogods, I am on day 6 after surgery and I am reading that is about where you are, right? Glad to hear you got it done. I have been in bed with ice most of this day...
 
Keecamp, nice to hear your words. I'm in bed with ice most of this day so you keep marching on, OK?
 
@waterman1 I'm 25 days past surgery - can't easily change the title of the thread, but it does show that my surgery was on June 3.

My post in this thread for June 9 (the 6th day past surgery) shows I was walking around the neighborhood with a rollator for about 1/2 mile 3 times per day.

I've consistently done the 7 PT exercise twice a day, and have extended my walking and trike riding distance by simply going as far as I can each walk or ride until I get the pains that feel like they are coming from deep inside my thigh bone or joint. I call those my "stop" pain, because that is when I stop my exercise.

For the most part, I've been able to go a little further with each walk or ride, but there have been a few times when the pains came on sooner than I expected. I simply stopped when that happened and saved the effort for extending my distance until the next walk or ride.

I walk or ride just the streets in my development so I'm passing by my home about every 1/2 mile which means I never have far to go when the pain sets in. I use a rollator on my walks so I can just sit and rest when needed. With the recumbent trike I can just stop pedalling to take a rest.

I use lots of cold therapy between walks and rides, even when it doesn't feel like I need it.

I really think the consistent PT exercise, the short increasing increments for my walks and rides, not pushing beyond the stop pain, and frequent use of cold therapy have contributed a lot to my rehab. I'm purposefully trying to take it slow but consistent with an effort to extend every day, but a willingness to stop short of my goal for any particular walk or ride if I experience the stop pain earlier than expected. I view my approach like that of the slow but steady tortoise rather than the quick but inconsistent hare.

So far it has worked well for me.
 
Waterman - congrats on your post op recovery. I'm just a few days ahead of you, my THR was on June 20th. I can walk around the house with less pain a little more each day. Last night I tested myself by going to see a late night movie, I was a little uncomfortable during the car right to the cinema, I walked at a slow pace but sitting down for about 2 hours in the theatre started to hurt my knee so I had to raise my leg over my boyfriend's foot. By the time I got home my thigh was a bit sore. Overall, it went much better than I anticipated.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@Keecamp That's great! I haven't be able to sit comfortably in a theater for years. Hopefullyt the hip replacements will resolve that problem for me.

Today I did a 2.25 mile walk over to and through the park that is across the creek in the back of my house, then along the creek itself. The town cuts the grass along the creek bed because the town owns a 60 foot strip between the creek and our property lines. I took the rollator with me and despite some significant rain this morning I was still able to easily push the rollator over the grassy area.

I stopped at 2.25 miles only because of the time. I felt well enough to keep going but had to run an errand before dinner.

The first pic is of my feet on the trail - it shows the elastic y-ties laces I use for my hiking boots.

[Bonesmart.org] Four Weeks Since Surgery


[Bonesmart.org] Four Weeks Since Surgery
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom