Guest viewing is limited

TKR Four weeks ago

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi @MCD I am using Tramadol and Tylenol during the day and Oxymorphone at night to help me sleep. The Tramadol is certainly not enough but I had to go back to it because I was running short on Oxymorphone and with the holiday I have no way of reaching my OS to get another prescription. I am allergic to ASA so I cannot take anti-inflammatories and ibuprofen so I cannot comment on the use of Celebrex or Aleve. I do think it is more for inflammation but I am sure the pharmacist knows more than me :)
 
You might want to eat a couple of crackers or something when you take your meds to help prevent stomach upset. It does sound like your body doesn't like tylenol though.
 
Tramadol does not always contain Tylenol, but the doctor told me I can take it with tylenol. Hope it works for you.
 
Pharmacist said it contains the equivalent of one regular Tylenol. I will try it with Aleve and hope for the best. I didn't take the hydro morphine last night before bed but only my sleeping pill and slept well enough, although I woke up a bit more.
I see the OS next week for X-ray, etc, so by then I'll know if any adjustments need to be made. Overall I feel fairly well, especially since my stomach has settled, so hope the tramadol doesn't bring that back. Tired of feeling tired but I know that will resolve itself with time.
 
I started the tramadol this afternoon. Took it with crackers, as advised. Am feeling a bit light headed and sleepy but otherwise ok. Actually it has been a great day for me today. Have felt pretty good all day and am able to all fairly well without my cane although only for short distances. I made most of the supper for us tonight so I felt useful again. I feel that my ROM is improving but will have that confirmed on friday when the PT visits.
 
@MCD, I took hydrocodone with my first knee replacement in January. It made me extremely sick to my stomach. I was miserable. Second knee replacement is in 3 weeks. The hydrocodone controlled the pain really well but I can't stand the thought of the nausea again. I hope your new meds work well with no nausea.
 
I've taken three doses of the tramadol, making sure to eat something at same time, and so far so good. Had a good nights sleep but I attribute that to the zolpaclone. I really think I've reached a turning point in my recovery.
I'll see the OS next week. Hoping he doesn't think I need the hip replacements in the near future.
 
@MCD, pleased that you have reached a turning point. Good luck with your OS next week!
 
@Josephine Well I thought I'd reached a turning point and was doing well but my PT came today and is not pleased. My ROM is 75 and has been that for a couple of weeks now. He thinks my OS will want to do a manual manipulation because it's not improving. I see him on Tuesday for X-rays. He was surprised that they didn't measure my ROM in the hospital. He said they shouldn't have sent me home before it was 90. I do have almost full extension but this knee hasn't really been able to bend much for years.
Should I dig my feet in and say no way...at least for now? I'm sort of panicking...I really though I was coming along pretty well. I guess I was slack on my exercising. He wants me to do them three times a day and told me no pain, no gain.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I realized last night that my ankle and leg were quite swollen. I had gone shopping Thursday with my husband and probably overdid it. Maybe that's why my ROM was so bad on Friday morning. I elevated and iced all night and it looks better this morning.
After reading up on MUA I'm not anxious for that procedure.
 
Gosh. You're still really early in recovery, and a swollen knee is not going to want to move too much. Much to early to be talking about MUA.
 
I was just discouraged, especially when he said my ROM was only 75 and it should have been 90 before I was released from hospital. He was surprised they didn't even measure it at the hospital. Here I thought I was doing pretty good.
 
Well I'm sure 90 would be ideal but plenty of people leave the hospital with less than 90 and do fine. If you've had a lot of swelling you won't gain much til that goes down.
 
Still can't get the swelling under control. It's mainly my foot, ankle and calf and it is a bit painful to touch. I've been icing and elevating to no avail. I'm hesitant to do my Exercises while it is like this. I see my OS tomorrow morning for X-ray and check up. Since my ROM isn't improving I don't think he will be happy with me.
Well, at least it isn't worse than it was before the surgery and I can sit fairly well at my sewing machine so I'll learn to live with it.
 
Saw my OS this morning and feeling a little better. He thought my ROM was more than 75 but he wants it at 110. I see him again in four weeks. He wasn't too concerned with swelling, just been on my feet too much.
I have been seeing a PT at my home but all he does is measure my ROM and suggest exercises. He has not actually watched me do anything. I spoke to the OS and he agrees that I should go to the out patient clinic instead.
 
Yeah, the home pt doesn't sound like much use. :( Glad you had your OS appointment. Sounds like you're ok to do gentle exercises.
 
I've been working at increasing my ROM before I see the PT on Thursday and feel successful. It's at least 90, maybe more. I can go up the stairs properly at least and was able to accomplish a full rotation on my reclining bike. My leg and ankle swelling is better and am icing and elevating several times a day.

I am finding that my circulation on the left side of my body is poor. When lying down my left arm and hand gets numb and then pins and needles. Wonder if it's all connected.
 
Hi @MCD, it sounds like you are coming along well. Congratulations on the success on the stairs and the bike! I am still not at full rotation on the bike. I was able to go up the stairs properly yesterday but not today. Going down properly is still a ways off. I will be measured tomorrow for ROM but I do not think I am at 90 yet. I am good with the extensions.

I would ask your PT or OS about the numbness. Are you still doing your foot pumps and foot rotations? I do them whenever I elevate. I am prone to varicose veins (another thing I can can thank my mom for :)) so I do what ever I can to keep my blood circulation going. Make sure you are elevating and drink lots of water. I find this helps me.

Hace a great night!
 
Our internet has been down two weeks, fixed finally today. It's been awful not knowing what's going on in the world and have to actually look out a window to find out about the weather!
I started physio last week at the hospital and what a difference! They did all kinds of measurements and said that my ROM is at 98. After my second session it was at 103 so it's going well. They were horrified that that PT that came to my home had said I would need a manipulation. I'm doing the physio with another lady who is 3 weeks out and I am 2 months out and the therapist says I am just a bit behind where I should be. I'm able to do full rotations on the bike and can walk downstairs almost properly although my leg is now swollen so I have to slow down a bit.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom