Guest viewing is limited

THR forestje's recovery thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
beachgal I certainly will keep being a regular on here hopefully to help someone as much as you all have helped me.
lalo I hope your pain goes like mine has after a while. I still have some niggling pain at the base of my spine, not sure what that is from.
Suzette I wish you well getting back to work.It is such a huge change and as we haven't been 'ill' as such, people expect us to be just the same as we look fine- until we walk. Slowly and carefully in my case.
Just been out in the car for a drive and it is such a great feeling to regain your independence. Have to use a walking stick to push open and close the car door though as I can't turn sideways.
The sun is shining here and it is going to be a beautiful day.
 
Love your great attitude! Yes! A beautiful day, indeed!!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I am just wondering if anyone else struggles with the clamshell exercises. I was shown how to do these when I went to see the physio a few days ago along with some others to do at home but I can barely lift my leg. I have looked at a few videos on YouTube but they make it look so easy.
 
Forestje,
I just wanted to tell you not to worry about using any aid for walking. I am 49 years old and a month before my surgery, my two sons and I played in a 3-on-3 basketball tournament against college kids. Now I'm 4 weeks out of surgery and still using a cane. We all heal differently. Allow yourself to do that. It's been hard but that's what this site has helped me realize.
 
Elliotttnt,

Thanks, I needed to hear that. I am about two and a half weeks post op and I feel like I should be off the cane, but I really need it. The pain in my hip hasn't been bad enough for me to take the pain killers, but I still feel a sharp pain when I start walking. It usually goes away after a few steps. The pain seems to be localized to the incision area.

John
 
Jtrahan, I had a friend who had His right hip done and only used a walker for two days and a cane for three. Now he still limps. I have some pain and tightness but the bug thing I want is to not limp. I'll keep my cane until I don't limp with it , then move on. Hang in there!! Allow yourself to heal.....
 
Foretje, it is really not crucial to your recovery that you master clamshell exercises. Jo always reminds us that hips don't need much in the way of exercise other than walking. But here's what I did learn about doing PT exercises: just because someone (the therapist...a doctor....some website on the internet) says to do 30 of them (or whatever number) doesn't mean you have to. You could do 10...or 5...or 1. Just because you are supposed to do them exactly as the directions say, doesn't mean you can't use pillows creatively to assist you. A pillow behind your back to help prop you on that side. A pillow under your leg so you don't have to stretch too far until your body is ready to stretch further. In other words....when an exercise is difficult, it doesn't have to be mastered immediately. If you really feel you have to do any exercises, start off easy, and gradually build up the muscle, the range, and the flexibility to do more and to do them with better form.

I can tell you this for sure: if it hurts, don't do it. You are not rehabbing from an injury. You are not trying to get an out of shape body back into shape. You are recovering from a major big-time invasive surgery where a whole lot of carpentry work went on inside you. Your muscles and tendons and ligaments were stretched and pulled and twisted and knocked about, and it takes a FULL YEAR at least, and maybe even two, for all that soft tissue to heal completely. You need to respect what your body is telling you when you can't do a clamshell. Your body is saying loudly and clearly that it is not ready to do a clamshell. So do a very modified clamshell, or don't do any. Try again in a few weeks...or a few months.

We see so many hippies push themselves to do way too much way too soon. It's a recipe for tendonitis...pretty soon you are having pain in the front, in the side, in the back, down the leg, up the leg, in the groin, in the buttock....it's a free-for-all for prepositions and body parts. You are not even a full two months out yet....it is still a time for lots of rest, lots of ice, and quite probably still some effective pain meds. Patience now pays off big time later. (I am four and three years out of my surgeries. Last night I went waltzing with my sweetie. Today we did a three hour bike ride. I guarantee you I didn't do that two months out of surgery.) You WILL get your complete life back, but give it all time to heal properly.

Sharon
 
Sharon thank you for this.It has made me think that I am going to carry on as before, being very careful.This was the first PT session I had been sent to and maybe the last, as I am very happy with the way in which I am recovering.
Elliotttnt I keep a cane in my car to use until I feel fully confident.Thanks for your thoughts, I agree with you.
 
Am doing really well,9 weeks today but just have a question which may sound strange.
I am still sleeping on my back because I cannot get comfortable on my sides yet but when I wake up in the morning I have a tingling sensation in the skin of my right heel. Have put a small rolled up towel under my ankle to lift it off the bed tonight.
Is this how pressure sores start?
 
Hi. I haven't experienced that, but have been geting sciatic pains down the legs to the ankle, but not the foot / heel tingle. It could be a nerve pressure tingle from lying on your back all the time. I used to put a pillow under my knees to take the pressure off my lower back. I think the start of pressure sores starts with the skin changing colour first, red or darker . Then it breaks open. Hopefully taking the pressure off your heal helps and try the pillow under your knees too.

Maybe josephine could help if you tagged her. There is something that tends to hurt more in the morning called planter fasciitis. But not sure if that causes tingling.
 
If I can't get to sleep much tonight, at least I will have finished writing my Christmas cards. How sad is that!
 
Hi @forestje how did the heel tingle towel testing go? Well sleep, I know we should just sleep when we can, but I can't sleep during the day let alone night.

The GP has given me proper sleeping tablets to try out for a few weeks. I was also going to try those melatonin capsules that are mentioned on here by a few people. Those are to try and get the brains natural melatonin hormones type levels back to normal. Will try the drs ones first as am pretty sure I can at least catch up for the next few night.

x
 
It has been ok since I elevated my feet slightly thanks.
Am trying to get back into normal work pattern sleeping times as I am back to school a week next Wednesday. Can't be falling asleep on my desk can I!
I googled melatonin and it is available on prescription. Do you know anyone who has tried it? Hope you manage ok with your tablets.
Enjoy reading the different dreams on your thread. What are we going to do when we all recover as I will miss the old familiar names? Sleep well x x
 
I was thinking that too, once we all start moving back into a work routine and general life it is going to be really strange. So I am going to keep looking on here to see how every one is. Some have been on here for some years supporting others who have just had their THR.

I didn't know you could get that on prescription. That's handy to know. Melatonin is a naturally occuring hormone that 'knows' the difference between night and day, it's what also gets messed up if using things such as back lit kindles and tablets! ! @agileHippie has taken them in the past. They are also used for jet lag

Do you go back to work full time? X
 
Yes, first year juniors in a private school.Have been at the school for a very long time(35 years) and have amazingly supportive colleagues and a fantastic working environment.That was the main reason I had my op because I could not face retiring from it all as I love it so much.
I must be unusual cos when physio asked what my target was, I told him to get back to work.He said that was so unusual and it must be a special place. It is.
Hope your return is going ok.
x
 
Oh :wowspring: 35 yrs that is brilliant and must be a great place to work, I would have loved to have stayed in one job for so long , how nice It must be.

Mine is not as exciting as yours, still stressy in way, and I am still getting into the swing of things. I Felt good after seeing dr today as he was very nice and supportive. Am looking forward to the chiropractor tomorrow to see how she can help.

We are all moving forward :egypdance: x
 
@forestje and @agileHippie update on melatonin in the UK. It is prescription only. So the internet sites I found in english pounds are actually sent from the USA, as you can buy from pharmacy .

You can still order them and get them shipped over but they may be confidcated by customs.

We maybe better trying for a script instead

Xx
 
Ah. OK. Strange what is regulated and what is not, here vs there.

If you do try some, just be aware that it has a subtle effect. It probably won't make you overly drowsy, but might help you nod off (just don't forget to work up your best bedtime routine--including a toddy, bedtime story and tuck-in if you can manage to have someone do it for you!). :tiredwheel::mcoffee::yawn::zzz::sleep:
 
Hi @forestje how did your sleep go. I managed 8 hrs and woke up pain free too!!

@agileHippie I hadn't seen that link before, or maybe I forgot I had. Very useful, I have most of those foods, So that's on today's agenda. Have ordered some melatonin too from the US so will see if they arrive and test those out. @forestje will let you know how that goes when/if they arrive, in the mean time, where are those bananas

x
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom