TKR Foot turns in ( pigeon toed) after TKR

Hi all, I am nearing the 8 month mark following my TKR. I am functional, I have full range of motion. I can walk 3 miles, and did 20,000 steps in one day at Disney last week!

An issue I have had from the start was my left foot turning in after my TKR. The PT noticed this. She thought it might be week hip muscles because the x-rays showed the alignment was OK. The doctor told her not to have me fight and it might hurt my hip more. At the same time, I was having pain in my knee cap and having a hard time doing squats and stairs. My PT told me my knee cap was tilted in. Again, the doctor claimed was a muscle imbalance. My PT was ended abruptly- I didn't realize there was a hard cap of 20 visits a year. It was tough being pretty much on my own at that point.
I have worked diligently on my own to strengthen my Quads, hip muscles, etc. Stairs are still hard.
I never realized how much I was toeing in with my left foot until I went to Florida last week, and couldn't walk in my slides, as they wouldn't stay on my feet. Also walking in the deep sand, the toeing in was extreme and I had a very difficult time walking with out pain, and swelled up after wards. My husband and son really noticed it with all the walking we did together.
Has anyone had this issue with your foot position changing after TKR. I am concerned the effect it will have on my lower back, hip, foot.
I am going to make an appointment to see the doctor again, but I am sure he will tell me I am fine.
The only other issue I am having is a clunking in the top of the knee cap area that can be somewhat painful at times when bending or doing the eliptical or biking. Not sure if this is normal as well.
 
Last edited:
Hello again, @nkl811
You'll notice that I have merged your newest thread with your original recovery thread. It's been a while since you last posted, so perhaps you couldn't find it.

For several reasons, we prefer that you only have one recovery thread:
  • That way, we have all your information in one place. This makes it easier to go back and review your history before providing advice.
  • If you keep starting new threads, you miss the posts and advice others have left for you in the old threads, and some information may be unnecessarily repeated
  • Having only one thread will act as a diary of your progress that you can look back on.
So please post any updates, questions or concerns about your recovery here.
Don't worry that we won't see your question because, between us, the staff read all new posts every day.
If you need an urgent response to a question, just tag a member of staff.
How to tag another member; how to answer when someone tags you

If you prefer a different thread title, just post what you want and we'll get it changed for you.

Here are the instructions on finding your thread, How can I find my threads and posts? . Many members bookmark their thread, so they can find it when they log on.
 
An issue I have had from the start was my left foot turning in after my TKR. The PT noticed this. She thought it might be week hip muscles because the x-rays showed the alignment was OK. The doctor told her not to have me fight and it might hurt my hip more. At the same time, I was having pain in my knee cap and having a hard time doing squats and stairs. My PT told me my knee cap was tilted in.
I never realized how much I was toeing in with my left foot until I went to Florida last week, and couldn't walk in my slides, as they wouldn't stay on my feet. Also walking in the deep sand, the toeing in was extreme and I had a very difficult time walking with out pain, and swelled up after wards.
I'm sorry you're still having problems with your knee and I'm going to ask @Josephine, our Nurse Director, to advise you about the position of your foot and the apparent kneecap tilting.

It might be helpful if you can post a picture for Josephine to look at.
Uploading a Picture in a Post
It should look like this picture and include hips and feet, preferably with shorts and bare feet.

[Bonesmart.org] Foot turns in ( pigeon toed) after TKR
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom