TKR Flutter1’s BoneSmart Success

@Flutter1 Wow - your recovery is really moving along. Well done for doing things your way. Keep up the good work!
 
Another :sleep:(boring) post. LOL. Today is my three-week anniversary of my new knee AND my 42nd wedding anniversary. My husband has been my hero through all this -- he still insists on bringing my dinner to me on a tray as I elevate my leg. I am not refusing.

My second-to-last in home PT visit was yesterday. I will see her for the last time on Friday and will definitely miss her. With her assistance, my walking gait is normal and gaining speed. I am now able to go up the stairs (holding on to the rail) foot over foot. I practiced descending foot over foot as well -- but my knee and the rest of us agreed that this might be a bridge too far at this point. My balance is good, thank goodness! We practiced balancing on the new knee and that seemed pain free.

She pushed the position on my stationary bike up a few notches and I was able to make it a few times around before I felt some pain, so we stopped. We agreed that I will continue on the bike rotations at a position that is slightly uncomfortable but not painful and try rocking back and forth with the seat up closer. My flex was 98 and my extension was at 0. Even when I was very thin and ran 6 miles a day, it was a struggle to bend and stretch my foot to my butt; so the ROM milestones are not that big a concern for me right now.
I am entering my 4th week, and in a few days I will up my walking to about 20 minutes according to the BoneSmart activity recommendations and see how that goes. My swelling has gone way down (thank you BoneSmart). I find that icing the back of my knee is very helpful, so others might want to try that. My discomfort is very minimal now. I will continue with my exercises at home while I take a break from formal PT. For some reason, last night was the first time I had trouble falling asleep. I know I am starting to feel house bound -- any suggestions for outings that would be appropriate for my 4-week mark other than the visit to my surgeon? We are fully vaccinated, as are a large majority of people in our community.
That's it. I hope everyone is healing well.
 
Last edited:
Happy Anniversary and great news on your progress! Do you have any parks near you that you could drive to, then walk around with benches you might rest on when you get tired?
 
Happy anniversary, my TKR twin! We have quite a few things common :). My 44th wedding anniversary is tomorrow. My husband too is a darling, taking more than required care of me.

I know I am starting to feel house bound -- any suggestions for outings that would be appropriate for my 4-week mark other than the visit to my surgeon?
My PT had suggested last week to go out frequently for small errands like buying one or two items from grocery shop or bank or pickup food from restaurants. I have not done those things, but have visited my daughter, brother, sister 3-4 times by now and spent 3-4 hours every visit. One of the visits was a family get together of about 20+. It was the first time we met after after more than a year due to pandemic. Fortunately all my family lives in Seattle area.
Since you are fully vaccinated, You can visit your vaccinated friends.
 
@Sandy11 I was going to make a short trip with my husband to Trader Joe’s on my 4-week mark. So nice that your daughter is close by. Unfortunately, my son lives about 2 hours from us, but he and his girlfriend are driving down in a few weeks. My friends just said today they want to take me to lunch eventually — with a booth and pillow I think I will be fine!
 
@Flutter1 just a voice of caution in sitting in a booth … I went out by myself to eat and sat in a booth thinking I could sit kind of sideways to get the foot off the floor which I did. However, when I was finished eating and tried to get up, I struggled and had to ask my server to help me as I couldn’t get in the right position to stand up. He actually pulled the table over to the other bench and I was able to maneuver myself to stand up. Needless to say, i left him a nice tip but was so embarrassed! So make sure you have someone to help you and see if the booth table is movable. Then enjoy!!!
 
Today (Day 22 post op) was my last at home PT. My therapist has been fantastic and I am still not sure if I will go to out patient PT. My flex is now 105 and extension 0, so my surgeon should be satisfied. I will continue my exercises at home and use my stationary bike (as long as no pain.) I am very pleased so far with my baby knee. Taking if slow and still following BoneSmart recommendations.
 
No reason to tell my husband I can prepare my own dinner, right? What he brought me tonight.
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Flutter1’s BoneSmart Success
    BAF59763-AFC6-4217-BF5A-BC864A8BF9FF.jpeg
    149.9 KB · Views: 225
My husband took really good care of me, too. :roseshwr:
 
I have been increasing my walking a little every day. When walking today, I noticed quite a bit of pain on the upper outside of my thigh on the other leg that has the 5-year-old partial. It is near the hip flexor. My new knee feels fine, other than that band feeling. Is this common as my other leg adjusts to the new knee on the opposite leg? Now I am a bit worried that I might need a hip replacement. I am very early on still — 4 weeks this coming Wednesday. Thanks
 
@Flutter1 I have been experiencing lots of discomfort in my nonsurgical leg, especially the knee. It does have arthritis but is no where near as bad as the right knee I had replaced in April. I really think it is having to re-learn how to "cooperate" with the new knee since it had been compensating for several years. And my hips do experience lots of discomfort particularly after I have been sitting for a while; perhaps the pressure?
 
@FourCats I think our bodies take quite a while to adjust. One secondary benefit is that what I thought was sciatic pain in my lower back was completely gone the day after surgery and has never returned.
 
Flutter, have you considered the One Step program Bonesmart promotes? It analyzes gait and helps out with things that might affect both legs.
 

Staff online

  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015

Members online

Back
Top Bottom