Guest viewing is limited

TKR Flutter1’s BoneSmart Success

Really sounds like the pain meds. Yes, check with your OS and find out if you can stop wearing the stockings. But as Jockette advised, be sure to do ankle pumps.
Be careful and be safe.
 
Your compression stockings shouldn't be causing a bruise. They should only be very tight around your knee and calf. Are you sure that bruising isn't showing up from the tourniquet? That's really the only place I bruised and I could never keep the stocking high up on my thighs, they just slipped down.

In so far as "leakage", I was warned about that when they took the catheter out. I didn't have that issue myself but it isn't uncommon and happens more so in women, specifically women who've had children. My wife has had too many surgeries to count and we have a steady healthy supply of bed pads, depends and pads. My father had that issue later in life with his surgeries. I suspect I will too as the years move on.

Nothing to be embarrassed about. You've just had the largest joint in your body beat up pretty good!

It sounds like you are doing extremely well!
 
Hope you're feeling better today regarding the dizziness. After I had surgery for a broken arm, I asked for Tramadol rather than Hydrocodone, because I had read on here that it was helpful and had less side effects. (I had a terrible time with Hydrocodone after TKR; quit after 3 weeks). I had asked for an extra prescription in case I ran out of what I had. Turned out that the Tramadol made me nauseous and lightheaded ~ ended up giving my unopened prescription to my friend that was prescribed exactly the same for her appendix surgery. I stopped taking the Tramadol all together and found I didn't need it.

Sounds like you're able to do quite a lot for just 5 days pre-op. Do you have an assistance device in the shower such as a bath transfer bench and someone to help you out? Your dizziness could be a combination of things so you're wise to stay on the safe side and sit down when you feel like that. Let us know what your dr. advises.
 
Thanks everyone for all your advice. I had my second in-home PT session. I was very firm with my therapist. I refused to complete the full set of heel slides because they felt so very tight and started to hurt. I joked that I would be her "problem child." I was proud of myself and felt I had done the right thing. I will cancel next session if I have pain tonight. Thank you BoneSmart!
BTW, she said I was doing a great job getting around and I transitioned to a cane.
 
Last edited:
Good for you, Flutter, for holding your ground and for transitioning to the cane! Isn’t BoneSmart the best?
 
Good job, Flutter, for setting boundaries with the PT! I did so with the first (and sub) PT and now with my regular PT I’ve seen for years!

I’m so glad you were able to do that from the git-go! Your new baby knee will thank you and your recovery will be less painful!
 
Yes, it's all about listening to the knee. Often the PT will encourage you to try, and that's ok, but knowing when to say "when" is also important.
 
I went through a lot of pain in PT before I took charge at 4 weeks post up. That’s when I found Bonesmart and took charge even more. I sure do wish I’d found this forum sooner, and I especially wish I’d found it before my surgery. If so, I might have chosen not to have the partial I did, and saved myself a lot of grief! (my partial has not gone well.)

However, as you found, knowledge is power! I’ll know more next time around, if/when there is a next time!
 
Tomorrow marks one week since my RTKR. Today I walked assisted with my cane to our screened porch and it was wonderful! My husband and I sat there for about 15 minutes until it was time for me to do my leg-up-with-ice-machine thing. My friend up the street has been dropping off 5-pounds bags of ice when she goes shopping. :) I had PT yesterday -- and ended up cancelling for tomorrow. I just said nicely, "It's me, not you." End of conversation. LOL My gut feeling was that my baby knee needs a little TLC to get the swelling down.

I am able to handle most of my necessary daily functioning, so that my husband's nursing duties have been reduced to filling my ice machine, carrying food or drinks up and down the stairs (we only have 7 stairs from the main floor to our bedroom), tidying the kitchen and washing laundry. I think tomorrow I will fold and put away the clean laundry while sitting on the bed. He will help me take a shower tomorrow. I no longer need the walker and my gait with the cane seems fairly smooth to me, with a comfortable bend in my knee. My new knee feels so straight and steady, despite the expected soreness when I put weight on it. Don't get me wrong -- it is not without discomfort and occasional pain and I know there will be setbacks. I am starting to feel the little "zingers" on the outside of my knee and soreness in my quads, but I remember this from my RPKR 5 years ago. I am to have my stitches removed on June 2.

Hope everyone is enjoying some healing. Slow and steady.
 
Sounds like you are doing amazing flutter - I had a brilliant first 9 days and a few dodgy ones since then but I’m up and about to the kettle and around the garden inbetween elevating and snoozing !
move started getting the nerve reconnecting pain and sometimes bone ache but so far so good
 
@Rollem1 thanks! Determined to maintain a positive attitude, too! But oh, yes, those bone aches! Wonderful that you are puttering in the garden. We are in the midst of a cicada invasion, so I have no interest in walking into our back yard! If you are squeamish, avoid the attached picture.
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Flutter1’s BoneSmart Success
    IMG_1955.JPG
    319.5 KB · Views: 239
Flutter, Excellent update! And oh how a positive attitude can make all the difference! You are an inspiration!
 
Flutter, so happy you are coming along SO well! Good for you to cancel your PT! You know best how to help your knee.

Oy! The cicadas! I have been hearing from bird people Back East, that their birds aren’t coming to feeders! But, when they stop to think if the protein feast around them, they realize why! Such an interesting...though icky for you, phenomena!
 
Hi everyone. Just wondering (because I cannot remember from my partial replacement) — at what stage did you try rocking back and forth on the stationary bike? I have a recumbent bike at home. I definitely used it during my prior recovery and would like to attempt some gentle movement with it. Obviously too early for me to try rotation!! Thanks.
 
You can give the rocking a try. Just be gentle with it and not overdo it. I think you'll be fine. If you feel any pain, stop, your knee isn't ready for it and continuing to do so will probably cause you increased pain and swelling.
 
I think with my first TKR, I saw the exercise physio person at around week 6-8, and she had me start just moving part-way around the recumbent bike, with zero tension on it, just as a stretching modality. I’m back at that PT office now and can ask again on Thursday, since I’ll eventually get scheduled in that room...
 
That glider chair sounds perfect, in more ways than one!

I had a really hard time getting on the bike at PT, then it was not adjusted for me, I forced the full rotation trying to be a good patient and the whole experience was just really bad for me! I like the idea of the glider much better!
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • Roy Gardiner
    Staff member since February, 23, 2013
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
Back
Top Bottom