Guest viewing is limited

TKR Flutter1’s BoneSmart Success

@Merlin. Your post was encouraging. I started with the Tramadol first with Tylenol. At 4 a.m. this morning (4th day), I took my first Hydrocodone. I, too, wish I had started with that first.
 
Merlin, interesting what you said about the shooting nerve pain. I’m 10 days post op and on occasion have those shooting pains, good to know everything is attempting to reconnect. Thank you for that!
 
Yes, HikingwithDogz, I had those nerve pain zingers often in the first 3 weeks. I used a magnesium gel I had had someone use last time on my leg, and it is SO helpful for those nerve reconnect instances! In fact, now instead of zingers I seem to get a strong stretching urge instead! The gel helps overall with it, and I’ve read that many of us have lower magnesium levels that might typically be normal...
 
Good morning all! I am sitting here with my leg elevated listening to the drone of cicadas through closed windows. It is unbelievable and ever-present!

My LTKR was on Wednesday, 5/19, so I suppose this is actually Day #4 of my post-op. I was getting ahead of myself in an earlier post. The BoneSmart schedule of Tramadol and Tylenol really is working for me. This morning around 4 a.m., I took just 1/2 a Hydrocodone (325 Acetamin) for breakthrough pain and it allowed me to sleep in another 3 hours. Should I cut out one of my Tylenol 500 today to compensate for the small amount of Acetamin in that 1/2 Hydrocodone? The dreams I experienced after taking the Hydrocodone though were so odd and real. Did not like that at all.

My husband says my knee definitely looks less swollen today. The bruising today is visible, but it is mostly on the inside of my knee area. Every morning I complete my exercises (10 each right now) -- isolated thigh muscle tightening, leg lifts from a chair, and heel slides from a chair. I never push through pain I guess I am lucky or my strength training this past year has paid off, because I have no problem raising my leg or getting it up on the bed. I do foot pumps much more often as they do not hurt at all.
PT comes back tomorrow. I will stand my ground!
Does anyone else sleep in an adjustable bed? I was wondering about the best way to elevate your leg. Should I place a small pillow under my knee in addition to using the elevated setting? Thanks. Everyone here is amazing.
 
Last edited:
Flutter, sounds like you are doing fantastic! Great that you are already able to lift your leg!
i have a newly acquired adjustable bed and haven’t found it comfortable yet. Recommend by members only to elevate the legs a small amount so you can turn to your side. That didn’t help me. I don’t think you need a pillow under your knees as long as the feet are elevated. I think it’s just a trial and error thing, a learning curve. Keep up the good work!
 
Thank you @Flutter1 for mentioning this. I am preop, and I grabbed a package of poise pads while I was at cvs yesterday just in case. Hope you are feeling a bit more normal every day.
 
Jo Wo, great plan to prepare with needed articles now so you will be all set post-op!
My brother lives in New Hyde Park, I once lived in Wantaugh.
 
@Jo Wo and @Sisterpat I didn't even think of it beforehand. I was told it has to do with the nerve block. Never had the problem in the past. Only lasted a few days. Best of luck Jo Wo. I just keep thinking of the activity I can resume with my new knee. That keeps me going!
 
thanks @Sisterpat. you are now in Missouri if I recall. my dad was born in St. Louis. What order are you with? I was educated by sisters from OSB and SSJ.

I am prepping now because I know I have to be off nsaids for over a week before surgery. Getting my husband more used to being dispatched with a list for most of the shopping. But I do an early morning foray for a few items every now and then.
 
Oh, SisterPat, I’m so sorry the adjustable bed wasn’t the solution for you! On it, I still cannot side lie, though I keep trying!

Flutter, I put my new knee leg on one of those foam pillows that has a raised edge on both sides, designed to support one’s neck while one’s head is in the central trough. I put my leg in there, get my ice packs set up around my leg, tucking old dish towels around it to hold the ice in position, then raise the lower part of the bed just to where it gets my knee above my heart. (I also raise the upper part, too, as it’s allergy season here! That way I can breathe at night!) Then I have a sheet and a really lightweight (but warm) down-like comforter to keep my body at a good temperature.

I tried some other pillows: fat fluffy ones, firmer foam ones, but this one just seemed about right... I still don’t sleep through the night, but I often can get back to sleep at least!
 
Hi all . Just loving those compression stockings, aren't you? The top band is causing almost a bruised line on the inside of my thigh. Does anyone know if it is acceptable to wear the compression pantyhose as an alternative? The thigh high really are so painful for me for some reason. Thanks.
 
Jo Wo, I’m in Arkansas, retired. Daughters of the Immaculata.
 
@Jockette. Thank you. My poor swollen leg seems gigantic right now. They sent me home with the thigh high stockings on. I have a feeling it is my responsibility to get new ones. I will see if I can get larger ones at the medical supply store nearby.
 
Last edited:
If you decide to take them off just be sure to do frequent ankle pumps. Those stockings should not be making your leg worse.

Mine must have been the right size for me. While my husband had quite the struggle getting them on for me, they were decently comfortable to wear. I wore mine about 10 days, and even less then that on the non operated leg.

Call your doctor later today. You might even be told you can stop wearing them. Not all doctors use them.
 
So it is 3 a.m. I made it to Day 5 post op! Pain is bearable with resting in the adjustable bed and icing. In fact, right now I feel very little discomfort. My last Tramadol with 500 Tylenol dose was at 8 p.m.
A lot of tightness when walking with walker (to be expected). Definitely feel nauseous despite taking Ondansetron every 6 hours.
Unfortunately, yesterday I started to develop a light-headed and weak feeling while up and moving around. Enough so that I had to sit back down. I don't remember feeling that way with my partial knee replacement 5 years ago. I am taking the iron pills prescribed by my doctor.
Oh my BP and heart rate were normal for me -- 116/70 and 60 pulse. I drink at least 8 -16 oz. bottles of water a day. My movement yesterday was:
  • Walking about 12 feet from the bed to bathroom and back during the day and once at night
  • Going up and down stairs once. We live in a 4-story split, so I get a little rest on the main floor after the first 7 steps!
  • For the first time, getting in and out of shower stall, taking shower, washing hair, getting dressed, etc.
  • Up and down from bed to dresser 4 times a day to take meds
  • Walking about 3-4 minutes up and down the hallway 3 times a day. Last night, I had to stop and get back into bed once due to light-headedness. I have been doing this walking with my walker for several days -- but today was first time I felt weak.
  • Walking across our bedroom to sit in chair for some exercises.
  • The heel pumps on and off; 10 isolated thigh muscle 2X day, and leg lifts while in bed, which are not a challenge for me. I do 10 gentle heel slides in a chair, but I do not push past a range of motion of about 90 degrees (or less) because anything greater blows past discomfort to pain. This is less than my PT prescribed -- but my main focus is to allow the swelling to decrease and let my baby knee heal. I am very confident and firm in telling her what I will and will not do, thanks to BoneSmart!
I wish I knew if this new dizziness was caused by the pain meds, too much activity, or perhaps "lounging in bed" :heehee: too much. Or is it just a normal state following a major surgery? Any thoughts? I will call my doctor's office tomorrow.
 
Last edited:
@Jockette . At the surgery center, the nurse said I could take off the stockings two hours a day for "relief," as if they already knew they would be hellish! LOL
 
@Flutter1 Are you taking any blood thinning medication? It can cause the light headed feeling. Or you may be having a slight reaction to your pain medication. Please move slowly and sit down if you are dizzy. No falling allowed!
 
@Jaycey Just aspirin 81 twice a day. I think it is the pain medication. At 2 a.m. I took just my Tylenol, excluding the Tramadol. I was moving around much more easily without the feeling woozy. With icing, I was able to return to sleep. Thank you!
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom