THR Flight of the BumbleB

Status
Not open for further replies.
@BumbleB Just caught up on your thread and it sounds like you are well on your way in your recovery journey so good luck in keeping it going and long may it continue.

As a pragmatic and somewhat paranoid word of caution from someone else who has spent a life in international sports and loves their gym. Slow and steady will win this game, the recovery is great at the art of illusion e.g. the outside looks fine, bruising has receded but - the internal scar tissue healing, bone growth, muscle rebuild and tightening is moving forward at a glacial pace. If you are ready for it then fantastic, but keep that little nagging gremlin at the back of your mind just in case.

Good luck and have a great recovery day
 
So glad to hear how well you are doing. Don't try to over do it though. Hope you are getting some rest this weekend.
 
I ran into my first real hiccup. On Saturday, my stomach decided it did not like the Oxy. I spent the whole Labor Day weekend curled in a ball of misery. So now I am on Tramadol, and I just started feeling better last night.

I had to reschedule my PT - it's now on Friday.

The dogs were given the run of the house, and I have to be careful around the crazy boy dog, but Poppy just wants cuddles, so that's what she's getting.

And steady as she goes!
 
So sorry about your meds. Glad you have it straightened out. Enjoy your puppies. Make sure to continue to get rest.
 
@fiberlady it is a lot easier to just RELAX with the pups snuggling next to me! I finally feel like I can just rest.

@Cynthia777 Thanks! The worst part of this has been the nausea! I have been upset to my stomach more days than not! Even the dr was surprised, but I warned him I have a delicate tummy.
 
So glad to hear that your pups are there for you. It does make all the difference. Hope you tummy straightens itself out, nausea is not fun. Keep on giving us updates. I would love to hear about your therapy and how it is going for you.
 
I had my first PT session today. It was a wonderful moment being able to walk into the office without a limp and without any pain, after dragging myself in there before the hip replacement when I shuffled and could hardly walk. The therapist beamed and said, "I knew you'd well with the surgery!"

We discussed the surgery and my recovery, and then he gently manipulated the joint, checked the incision, and gave me some exercises to do at home. Bridges, clamshells, leg lifts. He told me to go easy and back off right away if anything hurt. He was amazed that my right leg (surgical) was still stronger than the left, and he said that if he didn't know any better, he would have thought they replaced my left hip.

I have another PT appt on Monday, and I see the surgeon on Wednesday for the 2 week followup.

I am slowly starting to doing things around the house - mainly laundry. I also work a little bit (2 hours, max, in short sessions), and spend the rest of the day napping or reading. I don't really feel like doing anything, so I'm not forcing myself to do anything. Tomorrow we have to hit the grocery store, and I know I'll be tired after that, so I'm conserving my energy. I will say it is weird sleeping until 7 or so, when I'm used to getting up at 4 and being at work before 6!
 
I'm so happy for you @BumbleB! I bet you're thrilled as can be. As you probably already know, I'm on BS probably more than I should be and I just want to mention that I've seen Josephine say (in bold), no clamshells whatsoever. I thought I'd mention it just in case you haven't read it. I'm not sure why she's so adamant about this particular exercise.
Keep up the great recovery! Hugs! :-)
 
@BumbleB great to hear about your surgery and progress. I was having a mild panic attack today, I have two more weeks to wait! You buoyed my spirits immensely.

Here is a comment, and the website, from one of my surgeons patients:
Orthopaedic Testimonials San Francisco
https://www.sfhips.com/orthopaedic-testimonials-san-francisco/

New Hip Replacement Method is Less Invasive
Back in the Saddle after Double Hip Replacement

When I learned two years ago that I needed both of my hips replaced I thought my passion for jumping horses was going to have to be over… You are truly a miracle worker. This video is from a horse show in Sonoma last weekend where after only nine months after you replaced my second hip I was not only back in the show ring but winning! And with NO PAIN!!!!!

I cannot thank you enough for giving me life back… I now tell everyone I have Bionic Hips! Feel free to share my story with any others who would like to see the positive changes that can come to life with your magic
[Bonesmart.org] Flight of the BumbleB


I show dogs and I plan to be at a show by the end of the year, it's possible I won't make it but that is my goal. I too rode horses, three day eventing, and wonder if falling had any effect on my hip. One will never know.

Continue with your great recovery and past a photo on your horse. I'm already looking into the VascuTherm2, thanks for that too!
 
Making good progress @BumbleB !! How did the grocery shopping go??
@Plum Perfect - great article about recovery. I love- LOVE reading them!
They are the wind beneath my wings.. err... hips!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi BumbleB. I just got caught up on your recovery thread today since my LTHR was 9/4 and I've been missing a lot and having a hard time keeping up with the activity here on bonesmart. Just wanted to say CONGRATS!:wowspring: You are doing awesome and I'm so happy for you! It just amazes me how you can have so little pain and be able to walk without an aide and limp and have been out to eat and shp!

I got my nauseau issues over before my surgery (long story) and thought I was doing well as could be expected (except for some constipation) during the first 5 or so days. Walking was pretty easy as long as I put some weight on my arms, but instead of getting better the pain seem to have increased over the last few days. It's really tough moving the leg in a lifting motion because I experience sharp when I do. I've being taking the min. prescribed dose on my oxy., 5 mg every 4 hours, and just decided today to increase it to the max 2- 5mg every 4 hours for a while to get me through. I don't have any bruising or swelling at all and the incision looks great and I don't have a fever so I don't think I have any problems they warn us to look out for. I've been keeping ice on my thigh/hip/knee 24/7 moving it around with the pain which feels good.
Take care and here's wishing you a continued smooth recovery:flwrysmile:, i'll be right behind ya!!
 
Sorry I haven't updated - two weeks ago my mother was put in hospice care. I thank God that my recovery has been so uneventful, because I was able to fly to Tampa to spend her last days with her. I wish my father had been more forthcoming about the seriousness of her condition so I could have gotten there sooner, but it is what it is. My mom recognized me, hugged me, and then was unable to speak. The nursing staff was wonderful to her and to us, and I couldn't have gotten through it without their kindness and compassion.

So, now I'm trying to deal with the reality of her death. No more texts about the library not getting new eBooks quickly enough for her, no more phone calls, no discussions about books we both read. There's a huge piece of myself that is missing and I'm still looking to see where it went.

I have another dr's appointment next week. I'll update after that.
 
@BumbleB I am so very sorry for your loss! I said this on my recovery thread a year ago - recovery is painful but dealing with a loss during recovery is very difficult. I am happy that you were able to be with your mother and I am sure the memory of her smile and hug will stay with you forever.

Stay strong - your mother would want that! We are here for you!
 
@BumbleB
My deepest, most heartfelt condolennces to you. It's just too much,, and I will send healing and comforting energy to you..prayers lifted up..
It sounds like your dad was having some issues with denial..I've volunteered with hospice and it is a real problem for some of the loved ones. they think if they will it to be less serious that somehow the disease won't progress.
Yes, thankfully you were able to travel and be there with her and now you can rest and take care of yourself.
As Jaycey said so well... Stay strong!
We are here if you want to talk or vent.
 
@BumbleB, I'm sorry about your mom. I put my mom in hospice a couple of months before my hips were replaced. She died a few days later. I'm glad you were able to travel and see your mom. When my mom was dying, I had no idea how bad my hips were. I was so concerned about her. It's intense to deal with both at the same time.

You sound like you are healing well. I'm glad your hip surgery is over and that your mom is no longer in pain.
 
@BumbleB
My sincerest condolences to you and your family. I know how heartbreaking it is to lose a parent. With you by her side during her last days, I'm sure brought great comfort to her.
It may be difficult, now, but it's time to focus on your recovery. Be well and good luck with your appt next week.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom