TKR Five months on

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi there everyone, Lily do you have books on tape? I was thinking if our toes are above our head reading may be trickie so I have a list of books on tape. How was today?
 
I just spoke with someone tonight who had total knee replacement bilaterally in 2010 he strongly feels every patient should be given an anti-anxiety drug because we all struggle with mental aspect of this surgery and recovery!




4/1/2014 TKR
 
It's not a good idea to blanket bomb everyone with drugs, nor do I agree that drugs should be the first approach for anyone, but only in the most extreme case.
I had absolutely no anxiety during the whole thing, and I would recommend using Mindfulness ( we have a thread on this in the social section), or relaxation/yoga.
 
His iQUOTE="Betsy-Knees-7-2014, post: 619824, member: 14891"]Hi there everyone, Lily do you have books on tape? I was thinking if our toes are above our head reading may be trickie so I have a list of books on tape. How was today?[/QUOTE]
Hi Betsy...Winter has arrivedin my area...rainy grey day but II'm relaxed and thank heavens I do have a E reader...loaded with many books...
Beats watching TV...
Thanks. lily
 
@Lily2450

I totally understand regarding the anxiety issue. I have anxiety anyway and this surgery has manifested a lot more my way, even with pain meds! My surgery wad on May 13th and yesterday I went to my internist to have my staples removed. Yea! My knee feels do much better. I have been during the bike pedal and am at 97 percent R0M, although I thought it would be better with the staples removed. My doctor also gave me another pain med to stop the breakthrough and I am now WIDE awake at 4 am in morning. I just cannot get enough sleep. I am too tired to read and am feeling rather alone and overwhelmed with all these emotions. My boss called me three times today because one of my employees quit without notice and he does not understand that right now I can't do much. He even called back in the middle of my PT session, which of course I told him I would call him when I was finished..he ignored name and just kept talking.

I am so over this. Although I had no idea how hard this surgery was going to be, he should know, because he is a doctor. I just want to go away some where ... and start all over. Sorry for rambling on, I shall shut my eyes and think of the beach! Good luck to you, and thanks for listening!
 
Hi Quasi, Sounds like your employer is a real butt. Is it all about him? Guess your fellow employee agrees. If he's a Dr. can't he get a temp nurse/office person?

Just wanted you to give to yourself so the rest of your life is the quality it should be. Peace!
 
@Lily2450 welcome. I also have fibromyalgia which has thrown way more into this recovery than I thought. It sounds as though you are doing very well. Yes, the message on this site is opposite as to what I was told my so many people. I would have felt half crazy had it not been for the supportive people here.

~hopefaith
 
@Betsy-Knees-7-2014

Thanks for making me laugh! He is a butt! And a couple of days after surgery I was alone in the hospital bed clapping myself on the back for finally taking the time to do something for me! That is so hard for me, I am always taking care of other people that it and to neglect the fact that I am also a person that has needs to be fulfilled. I am so sorry, I have been eying on and off for the last couple of days, I know that this will I,prove my life, and if I lose my jobs, so what? I have a living husband and a beautiful 19 year old special needs daughter and a Sunday School Class that acts as our surrogate parents. I need to take the tiny violin and throw the dang thing out the window and enjoy being with my family 24 hours a day! That is a blessing!

Thanks for cheering me up!
 
I saw my surgeon today he was pleased with his handiwork and my progress and that all is on the track and I don't have to go back for a year.
He gave some good advice and encouraged me to keep using exercise bike as often as possible. To watch out for infections for life....to keep an eye on my health. No kneeling...jumping or running!! Hoho I don't run or jump thesedaysand can kneel on. My good leg...I reckon I'll cope!
Using my cane to guard my good knee was mentioned too..I lucked out with Dr Chan...he is most excellent to anyone in my area needing knee surgery.
He has just opened a new clinic called "The Hip Joint" hehe they even have a cafe.
 
Lily, Congrats on your good news. Whow, we fret over all the details and in the end you are doing so well. I hope I do the same... (taking notes)... Funny about the name of his clinic. perfect huh.
 
Well today I went to my Physio and did my bike and walker then check up . He was happy and t old me I could start hydro classes on Tuesdaysand hhe'll check me out there so no more knee group. It was good to see a full house there today.
So its five weeks for me now..I still wake up if I sleep the wrong way or my knee goes stiff and sore..I've found getting up and doing flexes helps so much...I go right back to sleep again..after five weeks of insomnia its heaven!
Thinking about all you folk out there doing it tough...don't give up...rest ice elevation and pain management...and stretch and bend as much as you can handle...its gets better every DAT and a little easier...Jill
 
Hi Jill, I am inspired by your success. I will be 5 weeks on Monday and I am not doing as well as you seem to be. It gives me hope and I will keep at it. Take care of yourself!
 
Well this is coming up to week six now. I can drive and had a break at Bellingen on the weekend minding a small dog and beautiful rural home. Good break but was really cold andI felt every degree of it. My wwound is healing nicely..still grabs a bit so I keep it oiled and soft. I reckon the prothesus feels the cold and let's me know in no uncertain words...OUCH!
Am starting hydro tomorrow so hope it helps the continuing muscle development and suppleness in my legs...I reckon this us an amazing journey and have no regrets and am really excited every time I can do something new...just being.mobile again is wonderful. All the best Lisa...keep posting your journey and I will too..its not all great every day...BUT there is light at the end of the tunnel and a goal to work towards.. Jill
 
Hi @Lily2450 how are you? Are you enjoying hydro and are you seeing a positive results from it? I will get to swim for two more weeks before I go back in for my second TKR. I am trying to get as much in as I can but I am really just doing very basic exercises right now.
 
Hi Beetle girl. Yes..I love hydro..and am going to take it up as a class twice a week at a local centre. It is the best form of exercise for someone like me with Fibro myslgia and TKR.
Easy on the joints. I started doing it last summer and enjoyed it.
How are you doing now? Jill
 
Hi Jill,
I am doing pretty good thank you. I will be swimming in our pool this weekend and will do some exercises that I found on YouTube. You are correct with it being a good form of exercise for TKR and I can imagine it would be for fibromyalgia as well.
Who is the little one on your profile pic? What a cutie!
 
That's one if my grand childrenn3 year old Freya Wong...she's a beautiful child and really smart..ready for school after Christmas when she's four and a half..My eldest daughter has three little ones..they are beautiful children. My second daughter has two little girlsfive and three and I live with them.
Jill
 
Hi. Well I seem to be sleeping thru the night at last.and feeling better all round...I gather I'm over the worst now. Seven weeks last Thursday...
Still feeling a bit of stiffness below knee cap and leg feels it when I s tend for. too long. Otherwise its good..walking around without my cane..the thing just kept getting in the way!
I don't feel the blues an y more...which was so annoying..breaking into tears at the drop of a hat. Hehe...able to drive and just about get back to normal life.
I reckon giving yourself at least eight weeks is being realistic...will let you know
On Thursday.mhow it feels.
Jill
 
@Lily2450 That is great news Jill. It sure does sound like things are getting back to normal for you. I am happy for you! It gives me hope too.

Freya is a beautiful child. You sound like you are a very proud grandma.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom