Guest viewing is limited

TKR FitGal’s Recovery

Thanks everyone! Yes, super happy with the surgeon. In fact, this was the first day that I saw him since my first appointment just one-on-one (without interns and his PA). He was like a normal, real person who really seemed to care and shared my joy when we looked at the x-rays.

@Steelergal - the exercise he showed me is to sit in a chair with your feet flat on the floor and the knees bent. Then lift your body up using your hands on the chair rails or on the chair itself and move your body forward a little and sit carefully back down by using arms to help assist on way down. Then, hold that position as long as your comfort level will allow then scoot back. He said to do this when I am sitting at work or at lunch or whenever I think about it - trying to hold the knee in the flex position longer each time and moving more forward each time. It's like heel slides, but instead you are moving the body and not the feet.
 
G'day FitGal. I found this site after a Right TKR on 7 August 2019. I was looking for any comment re a rash and spotted your entry where you say you developed one about 10 days after surgery. I have the same situation, a red lumpy rash just started up and the itch drives me crazy. GP says it is Grover disease, a heat rash and there's not much other than apply the Tricortone cream 3 times a day. There are some who say is could be an allergic reaction to the dressing, mine is a type of gauze with glue. Did yours disappear after the dressing fell away, I am 4 weeks post surgery and can walk and do most stuff but the itch is driving me to drink. I must admit I did have the blues at about 1 week post but things have improved. I reckon there is a lot of good advice on this forum. Thanks FG
 
Hooray for a great OS visit! I'm glad you left feeling very positive about where you are.
 
So Week 7 has been pretty decent. I am still frustrated that I can't workout at the gym to the point of actually sweating (which it doesn't take much for me to break out in a full sweat). So, I am still taking it slow. The knee had a serious case of schizophrenia each day this week, with yesterday being the worst.

Friday morning I woke up and pretty much forgot I had a knee replacement. I was walking with barely any limp and my struggle in getting out of my car after an hour drive wasn't too bad. BUT, then came therapy. I got to therapy early, started on the bike, felt great. Once my therapist got a hold of me, my knee decided to get really mad. So, I have been icing and elevating ever since - with the exception of a short walk and a little time on the bike to get it loosened up (basically, it feels better on the bike than it does at any other time - once I stop - it gets stiff).

I fly on Friday and will be gone for a week. Fingers crossed for a good Week #8!
 
Your week 7 sounds a lot like mine! I’ve had great days and very discouraging days. Just when i think i know what will make the knee mad, it changes! I also have an upcoming flight this week (Thursday) and will be gone a week. I’m nervous about flying but am doing all i can to prepare. Good luck with your travels!
 
@luvcats - thank you! I've been following your thread and it looks as if you are progressing very well with your second new knee!!! Yay!

@Steelergal - good luck with your travels this week as well!!!
 
The knee had a serious case of schizophrenia

Oh my gosh, what a great explanation of tkr recovery!! Or maybe Jeckyl & Hyde lol!!

I wish you didn't have to travel at this point, but you are super tough & I can imagine you will handle it just fine.

Dont let pt get too aggressive with you! Of course I'm not one to follow that advice myself. I'm kinda a pushover/people pleaser & assume they know better than me.

Good luck with your travels, I wish you lots of legroom & pillows & ice
:ice:
 
@FitGal, I was just about to tag you and ask for an update. Glad to hear you’re managing your tough schedule so well. Good luck with the travels!
 
My 2 PKRs always feel fine doing a bike motion and always feel awful afterwards. I even tracked this bike/pain correlation. Perhaps the inner knees (hallowed depths) take longer to fully heal.

Hope your travel is ice-filled and uneventful (as luvcats humorously mentioned).
 
Hey everyone! I made the trip - two flights and a night of Oktoberfest. Getting ready to go to a meeting now after finishing icing. My knee swelled a lot over the past day or so from all of this activity, but I am sure it is to be expected. It is interesting, though, that I still a have so much swelling overall.

On a separate note, I have been wondering since I had my X-Rays if everything is "normal". My OS seemed to think so, but I wanted to paste my photos below for some interpretation from our Bonesmart Advisors @Celle @Jockette Let me know what you think! They were taken on September 4th. [Bonesmart.org] FitGal’s Recovery [Bonesmart.org] FitGal’s Recovery [Bonesmart.org] FitGal’s Recovery Thanks :)
 
Last edited:
Glad your flight was ok! My knee and ankles swelled yesterday after we landed but today seemed fine. We walked all over Venice last night and today and my knee and ankle are swelling up a bit again this evening. Ice and elevate more i guess! Have a great trip!
 
@Steelergal - so happy to see that you are having a great trip! It sounds like you may have had a breakthrough with this whole no knee pain, etc, thing! So happy for you!

I am starting to get where the knee doesn't hurt, but the swelling around my knee is still somewhat unmanageable (twice the size of my other knee). I have been wearing compression sleeves on the knee but that hasn't worked well. When I ice and elevate - knee is good - and then I stand up for a few minutes and swelling starts again immediately. My muscles are sore, but seem to be overcompensating for my very weak quad.

So far, I've had time in the evenings and mornings to ice the knee. Luckily I am not limping around too much - I just walk slower than most. The funny thing is that I am back in Kentucky where I injured my leg this summer (by tripping over a tent!) causing the domino effect leading to my knee replacement... and all my peers at this conference are still shocked about how this whole thing happened.... I think because most did not realize how bad my knee was prior to my fall this summer. Anyway, we will see how the rest of this week goes.... hoping to have a "breakthrough" myself from this swelling!!!
 
I talk in my posterior tibialtendon foot thread as well as in my knee thread about the voltaren/dicloforen gel I am using.

I was/am not ever comfortable in compression things on my legs. Other than the ice knee cuff, but even then, I do not like it compressed.
 
My knee swelled a lot over the past day or so from all of this activity, but I am sure it is to be expected. It is interesting, though, that I still a have so much swelling overall.
You have all this swelling overall because of all the activity you are doing, so early in your recovery, so yes, it is expected

Those X-rays didn’t come through on here very clear, so I can’t tell anything. If your OS is happy I would think all is well with the implants.

You really should find some way to cut some of your activities and get off your feet and elevate and rest your leg or you could develop a chronic problem. I know your job is important but so it your surgically traumatized knee which needs to be cared for.
Anyway, we will see how the rest of this week goes.... hoping to have a "breakthrough" myself from this swelling!!!
This is not going to happen at the pace you are going.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom