Guest viewing is limited

TKR FitGal’s Recovery

Sorry you had to learn the lesson the hard way. Please ice and elevate until you get that swelling down. No PT exercises as well.
Thought I would be so much further along by 10 weeks.
Early days I am afraid. This process can take up to one year or longer. Don't fight it - just listen to that knee.
 
I'm so sorry you had another horrible experience. I'm beginning to wonder if 'post surgery' is a whole separate elective in the Physical Therapy training world that many therapists just aren't taking? How do they take all those classes and not understand how the swelling works?

I hope you have time for lots of icing and elevation today.
 
Oh no! I'm so sorry to hear you've had this setback. And let me tell you, I UNDERSTAND. I also went to PT yesterday for the first time in almost two weeks. But even a couple of days before that, I noticed my knee was sore and stiff. I'm not sure if it's a delayed result of the exertion from my trip, but I feel like I've had a big setback. PT didn't help. My ROM is still lousy (no change in weeks) and while I'm not that swollen (at least on the outside), I'm more stiff and I have that feeling of concrete in my knee.

I also frustrated that I'm not further along at almost 11 weeks. Looks like we need to ice, elevate, and jump back on the patience bus! Hang in there...we WILL eventually heal. We have to! Sending you all the good, healing thoughts I can!:friends:
 
Vent away - I find it does actually help. What also has helped me is the reminder that recovery isn't a straight line. I want it to be, oh do I want it to be, but it isn't. You will recover. It's just going to be in your knee's control, not your brain's.
 
Sadly, so many of us in our current global culture share the mentality of having to push in all parts of our life (leading to impatience) and of course that rolls over into our Physical Therapists goal and number setting! It also is a big part of the public education system, (but that's another story...) And most large companies that succeed. Unfortunately, it doesn't belong in the healthcare system at any level!!

From reading this forum, I see the trend of impatience and wanting it to be so different...I'm right in the midst of this! And when we are there we need to be reminded of how scary and sad it would be if we end up like @ApricotPie relays in this quote:

A friend had a TKR. He was doing fine but his recovery at a few months was slower than he liked. So he went to his gym to ‘strengthen’ his legs and knee. He worked out four to five days a week. No Pain No Gain, right?

His knee became badly inflamed and he could barely do anything for many weeks. Alas, it developed lots of new scar tissue in that time and his flexion is stuck at about 90 degrees.

Slow and gentle gets you there.

Let's heed this advice and if it takes quitting PT, then so be it...we almost need a rallying cry and organizing a strike (if that were possible!) "To all PTs worldwide: No More Knee PAIN!!"
 
Sorry you’re in pain. Hope you improve soon.

If I ever have another joint surgery, I will pay much more attention to all the soft tissue issues involved pre- & post-surgery.

The new joint/implant goes in, incision heals, x-rays show perfect placement, but the soft tissue all around it takes A LOT LONGER to recover.
 
my original therapist wanted to really work the knee....well, she did. AND, I am never going back to PT. Knee is swollen like a basketball. I am so upset, as I was really doing very well - on steps, etc - with no pain. So, no more PT....just my own PT and gym.
You were doing so well. All it takes is one over zealous PT session and a patient's recovery can be set back for weeks or even more. Now, you need to do nothing but heal that poor knee of yours. It might take a while to recover, so please be patient and not try and push it. It is angry and will react poorly if you do.

By the way, you have every right to be angry! Vent as much as you want. We care and are here to help each other.
 
I'm beginning to wonder if 'post surgery' is a whole separate elective in the Physical Therapy training world that many therapists just aren't taking?
- @luvcats - that is hilarious....and I wonder the same thing!!!

@Steelergal - Please don't take this the wrong way, but I continue to be amazed/encouraged that we are experiencing similar recoveries... one day apart and similar in age with similar circumstances prior to surgery.... you (and @Poctdb) are keeping me sane. :)

@marieltha - yes, this soft tissue of mine (to include scar tissue) has a mind of its own! Today I have less swelling in the knee, but now the darn bones hurt... so I'm hoping the soft tissue attitude is not contagious to the surrounding bones...lol!
 
Funny story - my husband (12 years older than me) had Right Knee Arthroscopic surgery to repair/remove some of his meniscus this past Thursday. I was the designated driver and responsible adult to care for him over the past few days. Well, let me tell ya, he got home, felt great, has been walking around ever since with minimal pain and no pain meds (just beer at night). Unbelievable. He is still taking care of me. I planned to have him use my ice machine, but he hasn't needed it as much as me, so he is just using ice packs/wraps. Well, though his foot massages are terrible, he is a great guy who has now been waiting on me for the past three months and not complaining - even when I can't wait on him very well...
 
As a general rule, I was told, it’s five years after that until the bone-on-bone says it is time for a new part.
I went 3 yrs past 5, with Eufflexxa injections every six months, but should have done it sooner. Wore into the femur & one day couldn’t walk down stairs....
So put it on your calendar. @FitGal You will be a Caretaker then.
 
@marieltha

Wow.... I got way past that “new part” needed....cartilage out in 1994....TKR in 2019....
 
Lol! I beat you all.... 1990 - cartilage out and soft tissue/ligament total reconstruction. However, I was told I would need a new knee within 16 years of that happening...and for 29.5 out of old knee after that! :egypdance:
 
@Steelergal - Please don't take this the wrong way, but I continue to be amazed/encouraged that we are experiencing similar recoveries... one day apart and similar in age with similar circumstances prior to surgery.... you (and @Poctdb) are keeping me sane. :)

I feel the same way! I just wish we weren't experiencing setbacks this week! :headbang:
 
Wow, you all started young down this thorny road!
I believe the 5 years estimate for me was based on expected progression of damage to bone caused by osteoarthritis. A meniscus repair included a cleanup, but it did not remove the arthritic bones of course, just those pesky little pieces of meniscus moving around and causing the knee to lock. LOL, I never fell, but it had only happened when I was with my husband, who got quite adept at catching me! It was definitely time to have that surgery....
I did not tear my meniscus in an injury. My ligaments/soft tissues were all in good shape, as I was active, and did not need those repaired.
Did your husband injure his knee and tear the cartilage or does he have osteoarthritis
@FitGal ?
 
Oh phoey!! You have to wonder if they have any use of their ears!! I hope it eases up soon & you can get back to recovering your way. Do you have access to a pool? That's a great place to walk, just have to be careful not to overdo.
Sending healing thoughts your way...
 
It seems some of these therapists want to prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that Bonesmart is right. there Are good pt people out there. But my guess is that you know enough to do it himself.
 
My first scope and lateral release on both knees, staged, was in 1983, when I was 32. Since then I've had 9 more surgeries, so I beat both of you!
 
@FitGal

Hey are those tie downs working? Tell me how things are with you....inquiring minds want to know.....
 
Hi everyone! Well, I had my 12 week appt this past Wednesday with the OS and he was ok with me not going back to PT and just doing on my own. He understands I am still dealing with swelling, pain and ROM issues, but seems confident that I will persevere - and said to expect more of it at least til month 5 or 6. He told me to place my hands on my knees and said once they feel about the same temperature - that is when the healing is “done”.... so I guess my right knee is still in the oven! He then released me from his care but said he is there for me if I need anything else or need to come back and see him.

Unfortunately I am still struggling with trying to slow down to heal in order to go faster sooner. My job puts me in the field this weekend (Ft Irwin) and next weekend (Camp Pendleton) and am forced to make myself sit longer than stand (but forgot to do that yesterday and am dealing with serious swelling and pain today...sitting in my truck now writing this.) I know - my fault and am trying to take it easy - I think driving long distances causes some issues as well. Can’t wait to get home to my spin bike tomorrow to stretch this knee out!
 
I am betting you will eventually persevere also....but the field at Ft. Irwin.....?
Try to take it as easy as you can.
 
Back
Top Bottom