TKR FitGal’s Recovery

Getting to sleep is SO hard!! I'm trying to wean myself off sleeping with my foam wedge but so far it's not working. I think it gently stretches my calf & I just can't get comfortable using only pillows yet.

I hope your sensitivity eases soon, that's frustrating. Mine isn't so bad now - unless I put on pants. Hopefully that will change before the weather does!
 
Good decision to rest the knee.
@Celle shares a lovely graphic drawing of our idea of recovery versus the reality. @Celle could you post that again, please?
In the meantime, rest, put your legs up, try to read.
[Bonesmart.org] FitGal’s Recovery
 
My operative leg is straight. My non-operated leg is valgus. Although both are technically the same length, the operative leg is hitting the ground before the valgus leg does, so functionally it is behaving as if it is longer.
This may explain your sensation of one leg feeling longer.

I had a lot of itching under my scar. I found that lidocaine lotion alleviated it nicely. I used the aspercreme brand.
 
Ugh. Night sweats are horrible. I used to have them every night for years. I got huge relief from adding a bit of OTC progesterone cream. Might be worth asking your doctor about it. I have no idea what the military restrictions on that might be.

I saw elsewhere that you got a handicapped parking placard. Good for you. I had a really hard time a few years ago when my doctor convinced me to get mine. I really wanted my knees to be something I could fix myself. Giving in to a permanent tag felt like I was giving up. Turns out it was the best thing ever. It gave me a chance save my energy for important things, instead of schlepping my body from here to there. Use it!
 
Agree @FitGal and @luvcats

When I was 50, my gyn recommended the OTC progesterone cream (ProGest ) and even going through menopause and beyond (sigh), it has helped. LOL, he also told me not to do this every night, because you’re supposed to change where you put it. It is easily absorbed into the skin and can help with sleep problems related to the hormonal changes of menopause.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@FitGal & @luvcats,
Ditto/ agree for the parking permit/plates, too!

LOL, I (age 68, what the French call “ a woman of a certain age”) thought my slightly older beloved husband of 47+ years (age 72), who is in excellent shape and health (cardio every day & schedule of hand weights) might think this would make us appear old. Actually, he loves it because he doesn’t worry about me crossing kamikaze parking lots alone AND the spaces are BIG, so we are less likely to get door dings.
 
I will be heading back to work again this week, but I am giving myself some limits. I will get there at 6:00am and leave NLT noon! My plan is to work half-days until I start feeling better. Just a few days down helped me feel a lot better after working last week. However, I had a long day today driving my son to perform in a Showcase and feel that some of the pain is coming from driving.... The constant flex of the foot for hour+ at a time does not hurt while I am driving, but hurts when I get home...
 
I use Progest too, and I just bought more at Amazon.

Good luck as you return to work. Don't let yourself get sucked in to staying longer. It's so easy. "Just one more thing, then I'll go."
 
@FitGal
The Bus Driver asks,
“Has anyone seen that hard charging @FitGal? There is some using her moniker that is planning on working half days.....Seriously?!”

All kidding aside....good for you. Take care of you first....half days are a good plan.
But I will check in with you occasionally to see if You Really left at noon....not that I don’t think you are credible.....BUT....once a Type A.....always a Type A.....@luvcats is right.....
 
I will be heading back to work again this week, but I am giving myself some limits. I will get there at 6:00am and leave NLT noon! My plan is to work half-days until I start feeling better. Just a few days down helped me feel a lot better after working last week. However, I had a long day today driving my son to perform in a Showcase and feel that some of the pain is coming from driving.... The constant flex of the foot for hour+ at a time does not hurt while I am driving, but hurts when I get home...
That's very wise to plan on half days at first! Good. You really can't know how difficult going back to work may or may not be, until you are actually doing it. Another thing I'd suggest is that you forgive yourself in advance if it turns out that you are not able to do as much as you expect of yourself. Healing takes time
 
But I will check in with you occasionally to see if You Really left at noon....not that I don’t think you are credible.....BUT....once a Type A.....always a Type A.....@luvcats is right.....

Ok, ok....I left around 1:00pm....but I did leave....and postponed all afternoon meetings....except for one that I did on the phone when I got home.... :heehee:
 
Good girl!!
Fred is a leftie, I can't imagine driving a lot on a righties. Yikes!!
 
@Ladyala and @Poctdb - thanks for reaching out and checking on me - that is so awesome!

Well, it was a tough week with long hours at work. I know I set limits on working just half days, but that did not really work out after Monday. So, I took Friday off to try and compensate and don't return until Tuesday.

Though I am sitting a lot at work and in the car, the knee still swells. I elevate, ice, and use a compression sleeve, but I guess I need to do more of the "R" in R.I.C.E. It is really weird, as the swelling is along the outside of the knee and it is hard to tell if it is swelling or soft tissue, etc. I see the OS on Wednesday for my 6 week follow-up so we will see what it going on.

In any case, I have made some progress in some areas and not in others. With the busy week this week and the pain at the end of last week, I have only had 2 PT sessions in 2 weeks. I have been getting on the bike to do some work with the knee and walking, but that is about it. Unfortunately, I have only gotten to ROM of 1/98. The PT mentioned that my OS likes to see at least 100 and may recommend a MUA (yikes!). So, this weekend I am determined to get a couple more degrees on that darn knee! Due to the ROM, I still have a limp and I think the swelling is not helping. The knee is definitely still tight to bend beyond 90 and maybe there are some adhesions causing this, so I wonder if it is possible to "break" those adhesions slowly overtime instead of a MUA. AND, I am supposed to fly for work in three weeks. So, this weekend is a big one to work the knee :)

On the progress areas, I felt a big difference after my PT on Thurs, which was with a different PT (all the therapists work together and it is hard to book the same one every time based on my schedule). The therapist gave the knee an awesome massage and was so gentle. Then, her helper worked with me on most of my exercises and used EMS to get my quad engaged - its like the quad awoke! Though a little sore, I am moving faster and more confidently without the cane (but like I said above- still with a slight limp). I can even get my leg comfortably around on the spin bike and spin with some speed and a very tiny bit of resistance. So, I am hoping that I am experiencing some sort of breakthrough! :upright:
 
Unfortunately, I have only gotten to ROM of 1/98. The PT mentioned that my OS likes to see at least 100 and may recommend a MUA (yikes!).
The main thing that limits ROM is basic swelling. With all the activity you are doing, you are going to swell. You don’t need an MUA, you need to slow down, if you want better ROM. If you can't slow down you will have to accept the swelling and regaining your ROM more slowly as you heal. Being back to long days at work are going to slow down your recovery. You can’t have it all.
So, this weekend I am determined to get a couple more degrees on that darn knee!
You can determine all you want but the knee is in charge. The best way to get more ROM is to get off your feet this weekend and ice and elevate.

You are still very early in this year long recovery.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom