Guest viewing is limited

TKR FitGal’s Recovery

@FitGal Im experiencing some similar symptoms this week. The zingers are happening more often and i think it’s because nerves are still waking up. The skin around my incision is very sensitive. I still have quite a bit of the tape over the incision so I’m sure I’ll have to go through this again once that tape finally come off (i wish i could just peel it all off!). My knee still feels warm a lot of the time. I hope that’s also normal!
 
Hi @Steelergal :

My knees were warm for the better part of a year (warm, not hot). I assumed it was an indication that healing was still taking place (increased blood flow?)

Chemist
 
In some ways my 5th week is worse than the 3rd week. After making a lot of progress from walker to cane to just my 2 feet. In the first three weeks, Week 5 is a let down.

The knee still swells up all to easily, more discomfort at night, and it punishes me for doing anything different or more of the same thing. My sore spot on the knee is still there, reminding me of my frailty. I keep telling myself that it will take a year at least.

It would be great to quickly get back to the day before surgery. Then I could drive, visit friends and do light shopping. Alas, a slow recovery seems in the cards. No brownie points for me.


RTKR July 15, 2019
 
Thank you to everyone for your input, advice, and sharing your experiences. Obviously, my increase in activity (which I see as minimal) has likely backfired a bit creating all this extra pain.

I went to the gym today to do some upper body (for the first time since pre-surgery) and did not bring the cane inside. My husband said I probably should have brought the cane because of how slow I was moving :) He said people may not figure out what is really wrong with me. After working upper body, I tried to pedal the upright bike like I do at PT, but today I could hardly get the pedal around a full rotation even with the highest seat setting. Feels like my ROM has decreased over the past two days. I will keep icing and elevating...but definitely a stiff knee..... uhhhh.... patience....and Tylenol :)

On a positive note, I am happy to report that I can drive confidently (PA told me at my 2-week visit that I can drive once I feel strong enough...). It is just awful getting out of the car, as it takes me quite a while!
 
Yes, you are still very early in the process so it doesn't take much to overdo.
Even though you can walk without the cane it might be a good idea to bring it to the gym if you have to walk a ways.
 
@FitGal
My cane was a fold up cane from Walgreens. Need it....dig in the bag....and release the strap. WA LA...cane!
No need....back to the bag.

It was plain and black....not cool like yours....but on my first dozen outings, it was in the bag.

I used it at the gym the first 5 times I went. I still got my sweat on.....it sat by the machine patiently.

I am flying at 10 weeks..... and it will be in the bag. DFW is a big place....

Driving gets a “thumbs up”

Reminder....you are not at 4 weeks yet.....the Bus will be by to pick you up.....as I just filled it with gas. CA here I come.....

Signed Patience Bus Driver in Texas
 
Well, it will be exactly four weeks tomorrow and I am headed back to work. I could have taken a few more weeks off, but this week is a big week with the students coming back to campus as well as Freshman orientation - where I get to meet the parents of all the Army ROTC scholarship winners. Nevertheless, I am somewhat dreading this. My commute is over an hour long.... and then there is no way to park anywhere near my office...and my building is the oldest building on campus and has no elevators.

So, I practiced tonight carrying my backpack with my laptop, books, etc and the only way that I can walk with stability is by using the crutch due to the weight of the backpack. I am looking for a rolling bag, but that brings its own issues given there is no elevator in the building. Needless to say, tomorrow will be very interesting. :holysheep:
 
@FitGal
Good luck.....I hope you can sit in a conference room to meet the parents.....
 
Question @FitGal :

Is the campus ADA compliant? If yes I would assume there is some parking near your building. You should be able to get a short term permit to utilize the parking.
 
Sometimes I know I don't need the cane, but I take it anyway to remind me, and other people, that I need a little more time and space. And then any little bump in the pavement isn't a danger.

Good luck with orientation. Will you get a break at any point to ice and elevate? I got myself some chemical cold packs for travel.
 
I got the Olympia 18” carryon/under seat with 4 sets of double pivoting wheels and a double extending handle. It is super light and easily goes over big curbs and steps. When you have it at your side, it feels like a cane and it just rolls along next to you. I think it was $48 in the px/shopmyexchange/amazon. ( got the purple of course).
Honestly, it is some type of polymer (waterproof interior) and I think you could send it down the stairs by itself and it would survive and wait for you to join it.
Another stair approach that a nurse recommended to me, in case you are tired or the steps seem too high—if there is a railing or a person with you—is to turn around and do them backwards! Down with the “bad” first if you are going down, which is the most difficult for most people.
Good Luck!
 
Well, it will be exactly four weeks tomorrow and I am headed back to work. I could have taken a few more weeks off, but this week is a big week with the students coming back to campus as well as Freshman orientation - .

I hope all goes well for you. If you can ice, elevate and keep the pressure off the knee in your working conditions, you might just get away with it. :prayer:
 
You are asking a lot of your new knee going back to a job with those conditions this early in recovery.
 
I don't suppose you have a co-worker who could meet you at the bottom of the stairs and help you carry stuff?
 
Thanks all for your concern!

@Chemist - the campus is mostly ADA compliant (except for the 100 year old building we are in), but short on parking space (USC). If I were to park near the building, I have to pay $4 every two hours - which means I have to go out to that lot (which is still quite a walk) every two hours to pay. Whereas the parking structure I have paid for already is about another block and a 1/2 away.... Overall - ended up getting about 5400 steps in today (with a crutch for about two 75% of those steps)

@luvcats, @kneeper, @ApricotPie - I did not get a chance to elevate, but I sat most the day and was able to use chemical ice packs - which helped a lot. I did have some of my folks try and assist when they saw me with a crutch.....

So, I made it from 7:00am-6:00pm with commute and work - now at home in the recliner elevating and icing watching my husband try and cook a HelloFresh steak dinner :). Knee is swollen and stiff...feels like I will never get a decent ROM.

I am back to work tomorrow for a shorter day where I will meet the parents for a luncheon in the "courtyard" in the center of the non-ADA compliant building. We will have tables and places to sit, but my job is to mingle....:walking:....then back for a long day on Thurs. Hoping to make it to Friday and relax this weekend.

Got a question, as I was standing today talking to one of my co-workers, I noticed that it really feels that my surgery leg is taller than my other leg. Is this something that will even out over time? I was valgus prior to surgery and had a somewhat "bent" knee for 16 years with limited ROM and I spent most of those years putting most of my weight when standing on my "good" leg. Is this why I may be feeling that my surgery leg is taller than the other leg?
 
:cheers2:
A toast to you @FitGal......no way I would have made it through that day at 4 weeks.
 
A toast to you @FitGal......no way I would have made it through that day at 4 week

@Poctdb - Let me tell ya - it wasn't pretty :rotfl: the funny thing is, the guys I work with are so clueless as to how extensive this surgery really was! I think they are like - "omg, there is my female boss who is totally broke"....they probably aren't thinking that, but still, that is my paranoia as a leader that hates being "injured". For my 20+ years in the military, I refused to go on profile for being medically hurt/injured/sick with the exception of when I was pregnant (twice). And, I hated being on profile then.....I actually ran with my first son into my 8th month and passed infantry formations at the 101st Airborne Division with their leaders yelling "don't let that pregnant female beat you" as I passed them on my run :heehee: Oh, those were the days.... and now I have to take a huge humble pill while I'm on this Patience Bus!!!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom