THR first time posting, 3 weeks post-op

Status
Not open for further replies.
PJ, I hear you about wanting to cross your legs. That's about the only thing I was told not to do, but I still catch myself doing it unconsciously.

Good job snagging some festive blouses at the mall. I'm waiting for New Year's day to go on a mad bargain hunt at Macy's. I should be able to tolerate standing, and hopefully a lot of the 15 pounds I've packed on over the past year will be gone. Between the chronic pain and nausea from the meds, I was eating non-stop. I'm already down five pounds. Yay me!
 
Good for you on losing 5 lbs, that's a third of the way! I only had arthritis in that one spot, otherwise I'm actually quite flexible, so the restrictions are making me a little crazy. Not much longer, though, I'm now 5 weeks post-op and things are getting easier. It was fun today, it had been so long since I could shop for fun that the merchandise had turned over completely! I'd say I was on my feet for a good half hour, and I always think that sort of milling around thing you do when you shop is way more tiring than plain walking.
 
I agree! PJ. I just stopped shopping except online. Luckily I work for a company with a pretty relaxed dress code. I can't wait to look spiffy again.
 
P.S., my bunny, Merrybelle, did me a huge favor -- she put some sizable nibbles in the pair of shoes I've been wearing constantly the past six months. They're pretty supportive slip-ons, but they really were ready for the trash bin!
 
I tried on heels of varying heights yesterday and so far, Clark's rule. I still need the cane, but 3" booties and 2" pumps both were fine. Clearly not for long, but as you say--oh, to look spiffy again!
 
After my last shower in the downstairs shower stall, I decided that was over and if I could, I was going to shower upstairs, in the bathtub, if I possibly could. Downstairs is, as my daughter put it, cozy. So cozy I could hardly get far enough from the shower head to rinse my hair. So yesterday I had my husband watch me climb in and out of the tub and this morning I went for it. All the physical stuff was fine, both legs went over the edge fine and it was lovely. However, beforehand, I had the experience I've been having so often these days, it needed to be cleaned. Pre-op it just hurt too much to stand to clean. So I cleaned the sink, threw things out, put things away, and then showered. And now I'm.clean but exhausted so I'm lying down before th next thing. I'm getting better at this resting thing, though...and I like that climbing the stairs doesn't leave me gasping for breath anymore, because it's simply not such hard work.
 
Interesting thing about showers. I also have a stand-up shower stall in a small bathroom downstairs, but never wanted to navigate the stairs in the beginning except for emergencies, such as rebooting my computer when it froze, so I can access it from my laptop. Before I went in for my operation I moved the essentials, such as my TV cable connection, up to the main floor.

I have sliding doors on my bathtub, so none of those contraptions for hippies to get in and out would have worked. However, the top of the sliding door frame is quite sturdy, so within a week of coming home, I was able to hang on to that and climb on the edge of the tub and then in. Later I would hang on to the top rail and stand on my "good" toe and get my operated leg into the tub without exceeding 90 degrees.
 
6 weeks post-op today. I have no complaints at all, I have to say. I'm still using my cane, though I tend to forget it more and more, especially in the kitchen. I can turn over with ease, there's just one thing I do if I slip up getting out of bed that still feels strange, but I just don't do it and things are fine. Can go past 90 now, I'm doing well at getting my foot onto my knee and while I can't quite get my own sock on, I can straighten it out with ease after I use the sock puller. I'm pretty sure that all the advice to take it easy that I read here helped me, since I do have a tendency to overdo. So I feel like I'm starting a new chapter.
 
Way to go PJ! Don't you love it when a plan comes together. I am just now allowed to be 50% weightbearing, and here you are forgetting your cane. It's all about perspective. I think you are doing fantastic. Keep up the great work.
 
Today a friend came to visit from about an hour away. So, I showered (upstairs, bathtub, in and out no problem) and went up and down several times for things I forgot. Drove to lunch, since I know the area and my car is all adjusted, and then to the local LL Bean store. She was a good visitor, left as soon as I said I was tired. Then I took a nap. Today was my husband's 60th birthday. We're going ot as a family on Saturday, but I made something he likes for dinner (kibbe) and then a one -dish pie for dessert (cake with family on Sunday) . The daughter who doesn't live here stopped by right after, so more visiting at the table. As she was leaving, I remarked how tired I was, and they had to point out to me how much I had done. The point of all that is, even though I'm very lucky to be doing as well as I am, it's easy to lose track of how much you do in a day. Today showed me that I'm still not quite back and to cut myself some slack. Oh, and I wore new shoes with a Velcro ankle strap, and I was able to fasten both myself. That felt good. :)
 
[Bonesmart.org] first time posting, 3 weeks post-op
Yep, when we're feeling good, it's so easy to do more than we realize and end up pooped out. But it's so wonderful just knowing that we can now DO! Take care, keep up the good work, and keep us posted. We care.
[Bonesmart.org] first time posting, 3 weeks post-op
 
Dumb is probably way more like it. Today has a lot less going on.
 
Hi PJ

Yes, good to mix up activity days with rest days... you are certainly doing very well at this stage of recover - good for you :)
 
On Wednesday I see the doctor again and see what he has to say. Six weeks have passed, but it's still easier to follow some of the precautions. I still can't sleep right without the pillow between my legs, and close encounters with my left foot are not all that easy, but all things considered, I'm satisfied. I gather from other posts (the, um, suffocation thread comes to mind) that not everyone got a bed to themselves after surgery. My husband set up a double bed for me downstairs, probably better for him than for me, since I was all things other than restful the first week or so. But I think I'll move back upstairs at the end of next week. My husband is traveling for business this week, so I'll get a taste of what it's like to go it alone. It almost feels strange to think that normal life will resume. And then back to work after the first of the year...as though nothing ever happened.
 
PJ, Good luck at the Docs, I know what you mean about resuning normal life, it all seems real and unreal at the same time. Do you have freinds and family that can help you if you need it while your husband is away?
 
My 26-year-old daughter lives at home (not because she's a slacker, lol! She's working full time and going to law school at night! Just had to issue that disclaimer!) and she's taken the next couple of days off because of finals. So I have someone here. I plan to ask the doctor if I can go back to the gym--figure he'll say yes, but in this case I'd like permission first. I'm looking forward to the treadmill without pain--and REALLY looking forward to being able to increase the incline! One of the things I absolutely could not do pre-surgery was walk uphill--I could NOT bring the bad leg ahead of the good one. It was exhausting and depressing at the same time.
 
Ohh, I know what you mean about uphill, I could not do it, the executive office where I work is on a hill from hell, and I would have to walk further away to get to it, so I could zig zag on flat ground toward it, and I still barely made it
 
Yay! I will keep my fingers crossed that the doctor gives you permission to increase your gym activities and time.
 
Thank you! Today's milestone was being able to put my tights on without the sock puller. Yesterday I put on...leggings, I think, and didn't use it. There was a distinct feeling of muscles (?) stretching and I was worried for a moment, but maybe it was something that needed to be done, because today that motion, while still not like the other side, is much easier.

I'm finding the last thing I want to let go is the raised toilet seat...LOL!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom