THR first time posting, 3 weeks post-op

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi PJ,

One of the goals for all of us after hip replacement surgery is to restore normal walking gait without a walking aide. Hips love walking :)

To progress out of a cane, you must be able to walk without a limp.I would suggest if you limp when you go without it you are probably not quite ready to go it alone.

The length of time that it takes to get off your walking aide is not important and will not determine the success or failure of your hip replacement.

You will walk without support when you feel you are safe and can walk comfortably without dropping your hip or limping.

Hang in there, give it a little more time :)
 
Oh, I haven't given up the cane completely or at all, just gave it a whirl across a safe expanse.

It was quite a weekend. My friend was not as protective of me as my husband, which was good. We did a fair amount of shopping, and I was completely excited that I could spontaneously add a store to the agenda without having to consider pain and exhaustion.

Today I drove for the first time, two miles at the most. It helps that the seat is extremely adjustable, so I could raise it up as well as slope it down. And, possibly the most exciting of all, I climbed the stairs step over step. Good because a full flight of stairs the other way is boring!

I understand how very lucky I am with my progress, and I'm grateful that I still seem to be a fast healer.
 
Welcome to the site. remember to go slow. Also remember Rest, Ice, Elevate and Pain Control. Please keep us informed on how you are doing. Tashia
 
Enjoying my usual insomnia...yesterday was a trip to a warehouse store (Sam's for the Americans) which I must say took it out of me. I got rather depressed about that until I realized that my very first outing had been to vote, just 2 weeks before. Today I managed, with what felt like a lot of help from my daughters, to do my usual Thanksgiving baking, which is three kinds of pie and a cake. I was happy to find I could stand for a full half hour without hip or back pain, even if after that I had to resort to a kitchen stool again. But even that was better than it had been, with no bone on bone pain when I slid off. I'm feeling like tomorrow will be a challenge, because there's going to be about 35 people, which is a lot of sociability! I am planning on dressing up, since my uniform of yoga pants and a t-shirt is getting a bot boring, but basically I'm looking forward to Friday! Again, judging progress by looking backwards, it seems the surest way to see how far I've really come.
 
Thanksgiving was exhausting. I doubt it was 35 people but it was probably 25. I did fine for about 3 hours and then I was done. Also, I'm starting to want to cross my legs (NO!) and/or sit down with my left leg tucked underneath me (NO!) So that was annoying. Also, I drove going and was just too beat to drive home. We brought my husband's elderly aunt who needed the front (the reason I drove) but it turns out the back seat of a Charger is quite roomy - who knew? Anyway, I crawled into bed, sort of twitchy and crawly from tiredness. I also decided this was worthy of medication, so I did. I am really looking forward to a gala day of not much tomorrow. But happy Thanksgiving to all, even though it's late, it really is my favorite holiday. Oh, and coming home, climbed the nasty steep steps from the garage leg over leg for the first time with no pain at all, so something to be thankful for there!
 
Hi PJ, that was a big event for you, so early in your recovery, but I am sure it was nice to see everyone?

Now go back to our mantra, rest, elevate, ice and meds ... And nap away.... Yawn!!!
 
I keep needing reminders this is early, lol. I think partly because I was in pain for so long, this doesn't feel as much like a new phase as it should, more like a continuation. One thing that makes me happy is that anyone who sees me walk comments on how fast I am, even with the cane. I was always a fast walker and I felt like a huge part of my real self was gone when that went.
 
Aside from a walk in the park with my daughter (she paced me) it was indeed a gala day of doing nothing. Tomorrow we'll have our own little Thanksgiving, because I like my own leftovers, but my husband will do most of the cooking. On Monday I have a Reiki treatment which I'm really looking forward to. Also my first long drive by myself, but I think that'll be fine too. Then, other than normal stuff, I hope for a few really quiet days. Oh, and on the progress front, I can now climb all stairs step over step as long as there's a rail. I realized today I was tensingup,waiting for the old pain, but that it simply wasn't there. I know it intellectually, just have to internalize it now.
 
Hi PJ,

Congrats on the walking the stairs, that is a big milestone!

It takes time to get to the 'forgotten hip prostheses ' ... Just time hon!
 
Janet, I'm just catching up with your recovery and it sounds like you are rolling right along. The comments you're hearing from others should be taken to heart!!! When they tell you you're walking well....it means you REALLY ARE!! Don't be hard on yourself for not getting better faster. You are actually doing great. And....it is still early.
 
Thank you. I'm reminded every night when I'm exhausted, that although the outcome is wonderful, this was a giant attack on and insult to my body. It's probably already evident that I'm not the most patient of women, but I'm being compelled to learn and practice patience. It's amazing what a little annoyance will do though. Today I was making stuffing for our "little" Thanksgiving and my husband was tidying the dining room and asking a million questions. Finally came something he needed to be shown, my hands were coveredin gluey wet bread - I was so irked I marched in with no cane and almost no limp at all! Tonight I feel it but today it was good to get back to one more normal thing.

It's wonderful to be able to read here, knowing so many others are in the same boat, not to mention the extremely useful reality checks.
 
Well there you go Janet :)

You forgot you had a prostheses !

So there is a light at the end of the tunnel and you just got a peek!
 
Another get-together with the relatives today but I bailed after 2 hours and pretty much just hung out. Tomorrow a fairly long drive to Reiki (which will be wonderful)
Then the drive home and then nothing foreseeable to do for the rest of the week. Walking is fine...I've simply made up my mind to climb all stairs normally...and since PT is no more, I'm setting myself goals. My next one is to get my operative foot on my opposite knee and hold it there. Otherwise, nothing, but I feel as though reading here had helped me understand the importance of rest days.
 
I've simply made up my mind to climb all stairs normally...and since PT is no more, I'm setting myself goals.
I strongly recommend you don't do that. Let it happen when it happens. You're only 4 weeks out yet. Much too soon to be worrying about that kind of thing and there's no rush.
My next one is to get my operative foot on my opposite knee and hold it there.
Why? :scratch:
Otherwise, nothing, but I feel as though reading here had helped me understand the importance of rest days.
Absolutely! And rest in the form of not pushing yourself to do things to a plan.
 
I will be 4 weeks post op this Wed (Halloween surgery) and I have to agree about taking your time. I am still using my cane but keep my walker near if needed. One day I feel energized and can walk the block easily, the next day I am huffing and puffing and can barely finish. Each day is an improvement, even with the unusually tired days. I find if I sleep on those days, I wake up renewed and whatever needed fixin, gets fixed. I will likely go to outpatient PT as I told my Dr I wanted more than what I have gotten at home. For me, it will be a way to strengthen my leg which has had years to deteriorate and will take awhile to recover (although its better than preop already!) I think its great you are setting goals but give yourself some slack and don't feel bad if you have an off day. The day after will likely be better!
One important reminder - it could take one slip to set you back. Yesterday I had a friend come help with a few things and when I stood up to move my foot didn't slide with me and I stumbled and fell back. If the couch hadn't been behind me I am not sure if I could have caught myself. That could have been devastating. Slow and steady wins the race and gets to keep the shiny new hip in place!
 
I like the last line about keeping the new hip in place :cheers:
 
I had Reiki today, which was amazing. The practitioner I see (also a friend) does 2-hour sessions, so it's like a trip to the spa. Every treatment is different, and this one rattled a lot of energy loose, apparently. I'm still relaxed with very little pain, 6 hours later.

It was also my first long drive, 45 minutes each way. It went very well, though the surgeon appears to have added some lead to my non-operative foot. Not really, it was already there. And then tomorrow is a true "down " day.
 
Today :

I drove myself to Macy's.

I got some bargains.

I drove home.

Now I'm tired and I'll probably take a nap.

The End
 
Love the story PJ. Isn't bargain hunting a blast? I will assume that your Macy's is in a mall, right? What did you get? Anything good? Come on....share!

Tammy
 
Yes, it's in a mall, but I only went in to Macy's. I try to stay away from the mall in general this time of year?, but this was my first outing that didn't have a real purpose. I got three tops, all drastically reduced, and all in shades of red. I made myself a sort of uniform for my recovery, yoga pants and these Land's End t-shirts that were on sale but I'm getting just a little sick of them, so something new was in order. Also, my husband turns 60 next week and I wanted something for the festivities.

I managed to stay up until 10 with just a short rest, but boy could I feel it in my legs for the rest of the day!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom