• SCHEDULED MAINTENANCE. BoneSmart will be unavailable from 8:00am - 10:00am CDT on Tuesday, May 21, 2024 due to required systems maintenance and upgrade.

If you are unable to log in, please check back later and the maintenance should be completed.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

THR first time posting, 3 weeks post-op

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sounds like you are doing really well Janet. I found going down hill much harder than going up. For some reason I remember being able to put my socks on and do my shoe laces up when I was discharged from hospital. Still not easy but getting much easier now. I've been doing some calf streches and hamstring stretches which seems to help. Its supprising how the tendons and stuff tighten up whilst in recovery you are not using them.

:iagree: Of all the accomodations and restrictions, that is one that has never bothered me. I am in no hurry to get rid of the raised toilet either. Especially since it is in the bathroom in the Master bedroom and no one else will use it :) I have had a private bathroom for 5 weeks now and I love it!

It was ironic, because toward the end, when faced with a flight of stairs and a handicapped ramp, the stairs, while not easier exactly, were preferable. I'm pleased with all aspects of my THR, but I bet that not having to scope out the slope is near the top of the list.

I'm pretty excited about the socks thing, I won't lie. Part of what's getting me to try it is that I'm gradually moving myself back upstairs--at least as far as dressing, etc, goes. So I tend to find myself either upstairs or downstairs without the sock puller and so I just go for it, wherever it is that I am.

I'm happy with my progress, and I'm trying to learn to be patient about my cane. The day will come when I'll leave it behind. But my father made it, so maybe it's his way of trying to stay close while I recover? Who knows.

No more sock aid, Great, each day more progress. I am wondering if I will ever get rid of the raised toilet seat, but i have issues with low seats and I think I have been traumatized, got stuck a couple of times:groan:

:iagree: Of all the accomodations and restrictions, that is one that has never bothered me. I am in no hurry to get rid of the raised toilet either. Especially since it is in the bathroom in the Master bedroom and no one else will use it :) I have had a private bathroom for 5 weeks now and I love it!
same here, and i'm sure i can manage without, but, (no pun intended)
:snork:

We need to redo the upstairs bath...I think I'm going for one of the higher toilets. As I'm fond of saying, no one in this story is getting any younger.

You just crack me up.. I love visiting the warrior group. You cheer me up even when I have a sore finger. SO has decided that I am like a lethal weapon these days with a kitchen cleaver...

:thankyou:

If it makes you feel better, this summer, not once but twice, I took off a significant portion of my right thumb with a Zyliss slicer. The very fact that I still have fingerprints gave me hope that I'd be okay recovering from THR!

15 minutes today to get a pair of stupid socks on it would have been quicker to find the sock aid. As for getting stuck on toilets, I wore some heals on Sunday for a Christmas party and had a bit of a moment in the loo. Its not that easy to take the rasied seat with you.

Im pretty sure the struggle with the socks today is pay back for the heals on Sunday

Yeah, you forget the heels put you further away from the stuff that's down low. My husband wanted to bring the toilet seat on Thanksgiving but I vetoed that. It's one thing to walk into a big family party using a cane, it's something else entirely to have an oversized toiler seat slung over your arm!

:rofsign:Sitting here laughing and wondering what any of the pre-op folks who are reading this thread are thinking.

"Hello, my name is Tammy, and I am a high toilet seat-aholic."

I did, however, bring it with me to Pennsylvania. :rofsign:So...yeah. Watch out, you guys, you will throw dignity to the wind, in the name of your throne!

I saw the doctor on Wednesday and don't have to see him again for a year. (I hope I remember). I am cleared for exercise, including yoga, which I don't do, but I asked for someone else. Also, according to him, all bending past 90 is fine, as long as your hand is between your knees. No reaching back to touch your operative foot with the hand on the same side, which I'm not positive I ever did anyway, though I checked and I can do it on the other side. Also, the day I did the scary stretch and got the sock on seems to have done something great, because I haven't needed the sock aid since then, and have, in fact, been able to get the left foot onto the right knee in one motion (which is more than I can do on the other side and I'm honestly not sure why that is). I'm needing the cane less and less in the house, and have been able to walk short distances with a good gait, but I'm not nearly ready to leave it home. My husband was away this week, so I've been starting and tending the fire in the wood stove downstairs (the wood is already there) as well as filling the pellet stove, though I got my daughter to empty the bags into the hod. I have to say, I'm enjoying bending again, which is a strange thing to like. Also can sleep without a pillow. Oh, got into the Neon (took it for an oil change) with no problem, but while I was waiting at the frigid local garage, I began to feel a dull ache in my leg. I finally realized it was the prosthesis....pulling in the cold and making me ache. I hadn't thought about it before, but I can now tell you exactly where it ends in my leg. Took me a few hours to get back to normal.

This made me laugh--I got a sheet of protocols (and they're just now telling me to do leg raises, lol, hey I'm moving on to a personal trainer for Christmas!) and it said that there is no need for a raised toilet seat--"Unless you prefer to continue to use it"! LOL, we're not the only ones!

We had a party & took the raised seat out of the powder room for the party. I thought no problem, I was just using the raised seat as a crutch as we took it out of the master bathroom weeks ago. Was I wrong - in the midde of the party I had to call for help. There was nothing to hang onto to get up ( unlike the MBR) and there I was glued to the seat! Thank god they were all good friends who probably will never let me live it down....

first time posting, 3 weeks post-op You'll just have to make it a point to bring it up first yourself when you see the conversation moving in that direction.

I have the handicapped toilet in the master bath which is just perfect, but have a regular toilet in the other bath. I am planning on putting handicapped toilet in that bath sometime in the spring. I'm only 5' and I find I still have to put my hand on the vanity to get a push to get up comfortably. Really tall people must have hated the regular toilets for ages.
first time posting, 3 weeks post-op

It's the one thing (other than my cane, but that's different) I hate to see go. When I move upstairs--tomorrow--it's coming up with me. My husband may have to take it off the toilet in the middle of the night, but I don't really care. LOL! Who knew the raised toilet seat could inspire such passion?

I personally break into a sweat and get the shakes when I see a low toilet or medical stool< this is one warriors Kyptonite

don't feel bad I got stuck on the thronett dtmbf,
puddle fish, I don't believe you wore heels, Wow I would have been flat on my butt, elevated seat or not

I miss wearing heels. But I have to admit, that I love that I am still wearing my yoga pants everyday :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
ScaredSilly2024
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom