TKR First of two knees done

It sounds like things are coming along nicely and you're having a sensible recovery! Doing ADL is good way to rehab your leg. That's all some of us do to recovery.
 
You're making progress and that's what counts. As you mentioned, it's still early and TKR recovery's are usually not as easy as THR's. Good that you're slowly getting back to life. :thumb:
Enjoy the week!
@alex_mom
 
Another recovery corner was turned this week. I felt ready and was able to get down on the floor to play with one of our grandchildren, and got up off the floor the way I've done it for years. That was a real boost for the spirit. :) :-) (:
 
I felt ready and was able to get down on the floor to play with one of our grandchildren, and got up off the floor the way I've done it for years
WHAT?!! No sound effects, no multiple tries, this way, then that way? You didn't resemble the whimsical garden ornament of a woman's legs and backside only? :heehee:

Kidding aside...Bravo for you!
Such a good feeling to be able to get down and back up from the floor again, without pain, after enjoying time with your sweet grandchild. You're doing well, alex_mom!
 
“Quiet Knee Protocol, for TKR recovery”

This is apparently a somewhat recent approach toward TKR recovery and I couldn't find anything here on bonesmart by doing a search, so I maybe a topic on it will help others. My orthopedic surgeon posted a Facebook reel about it today and wrote about it on his web site a couple weeks ago. (he is really big on educating)

I had never heard or seen this phrase before today. Just do an internet search on it and there are lots of results to read. What I found so interesting is that it is basically what the Bonemsarties here have been saying about post-op recovery for TKR! Take it easy, don't push yourself, don't do hard PT, take a conservative approach, aggressive PT can injure us, etc.
 
Last edited:
@alex_mom
I merged your newest thread, titled “Quiet Knee Protocol, for TKR recovery” with your original recovery thread, as we prefer that members in recovery have only one thread.

This benefits you because all your information is in one place, easy to find, and maintains a nice journal for you.

This also benefits our staff, as your information is all in one place, and we often go back through your thread for previous details, so we know what you‘ve been through which helps us advise you better.

So, please keep all your posts in this thread. If you’d like a new title, let us know what you want, and we’ll change it for you.

Many members bookmark their thread in their computer browser, so they can find it when they log on.
How can I find my threads and posts?

Best wishes on your continuing recovery! :flwrysmile:
 
This is interesting, alex-mom. I did a quick online search and found quite a bit of information on this approach to healing which is what we most often recommend here. For example, the Hospital for Special Surgery, which is rated number one in the US for orthopedics, who we often recommend for members facing challenging difficulties, they (HSS) highlight that while this conservative approach delays strength training, patients often experience a much smoother overall recovery with significantly less reliance on pain medication. That alone is encouragement enough to consider a slower easier approach into the healing process.
Thank you for sharing. I hope you have a nice holiday weekend!
@alex_mom
 
@alex_mom
I merged your newest thread, titled “Quiet Knee Protocol, for TKR recovery” with your original recovery thread, as we prefer that members in recovery have only one thread.
Okay, thanks for telling me. I thought a new topic would help others looking for general recovery info. Perhaps the moderators can create an article about it in the non-forum education section?
 
Perhaps the moderators can create an article about it in the non-forum education section?
Great suggestion, we'll pass it on to Admin. Thank you!
 
Thanks @alex_mom. I was an HSS patient for all of my surgeries and this is the exact protocol my surgeon gave me for both of my knee recoveries. He didn't call it "Quiet Knee Protocol"; his words were: "Your only job the first two weeks is to ice, elevate, rest and recover." It worked well for me and is consistent with BoneSmart's recommendations for early recovery.
 
Perhaps the moderators can create an article about it in the non-forum education section?

I found the original report on thestudy, which was released by HSS last fall at the American Association of Hip and Knee Surgeons (AAHKS) annual meeting and have shared it in our Featured Articles section as well as pinning it to the Knee Recovery Forum here.

It's a great read and, as you say, supports what BoneSmart has been preaching for years. Thanks for calling this out.
 
Happy Five Month Anniversary!
Wishing you continued progress. I hope each week brings more comfort and opportunities to enjoy the things you love, without the pain. Keep up the good work and thanks for your support of others.
Have a great Thursday! :)
@alex_mom
 
Thank you, Layla. Improvement is very slow and frustrating. I really expected to be further along at this point.

At the routine 4-month post-op visit with the P.A., the X-rays looked perfect. It was mutually decided that I would have some more PT visits due to the level of pain I have on stairs while still on 100mg celecoxib 2/day and 3,000mg acetaminophen/day.

The patella was resurfaced during my TKR and re-aligned to the proper location (outward-rotating patella femoral syndrome). I sometimes wonder if the tendons or related tissues are still in shock, although the pain is on the inside of the knee and as well as right below the patella. Hopefully the physical therapist will be able to tell me. I have quite a few questions.

My PT visits have maxed out with Original Medicare for the calendar year and I owed money for a July claim that was rejected at a different PT group I see regularly for cervical and lumbar problems, along with the July visit. It will be cash only for the rest of the year. That insurance clerk assured me that the Medicare handbook and website say one thing, but when she was on a phone call with Medicare and another patient with the exact same issue, the reality is that there is a limit to visits covered per calendar year. Live and learn.

I called the orthopedic surgeon's PT clinic where I'll do more PT on this new knee and got their prices, since that will be cash out of pocket. I will ask them to give the list of more focused exercises all at once because of that.

Whenever the second knee gets done, those post-op PT visits will be budgeted as far as I'm concerned, and possibly definitely delayed until 2027, since I have the other regular preventive PT on the neck and spine on a regular basis.
 
Sorry you are out of Medicare coverage for you physical therapy, @alex_mom. I encountered the same thing with my first TKR, and my PT agreed to appointments every other week, as long as I worked on my program at home in between sessions. He used the appointment to assess my progress and add different exercises as things evolved. So, definitely speak with your PT about the fact that you are paying out of pocket.

I sometimes wonder if the tendons or related tissues are still in shock, although the pain is on the inside of the knee and as well as right below the patella.
There's no question that the surgery causes trauma to the soft tissues. But, more likely, at 5 months, this is your body trying to adapt to its new, improved structural alignment. We forget that we've spent months -- even years -- walking on a bad knee and our whole leg (and hip and back) had to compensate. It takes a time for our bodies to adjust to the changes. I think your decision to continue PT is a smart one.
 
Hi again,
Thanks for the update. I am sorry recovery is moving slowly for you and also for the Medicare coverage issues you're dealing with. Frustrating!

Hopefully with PT and more time, things will improve for you. You just passed the five month point, which isn't quite halfway through the typical one full year recovery. So fingers crossed lots of good left to come! :fingersx:
Wishing you a nice weekend! :SUNsmile:
@alex_mom
 
Thank you benne68 and Layla, for your kind comments. This is a journey, and I am the kid in the back seat who keeps asking, "Are we there yet?" after five months. ;-)

In the spirit of giving this a "full court press," a friend gave me the name of a local Ortho-Bionomy certified LMT who helped her a lot after her TKR a couple years ago. I've left a voice mail message with an inquiry, and am waiting to hear back from that person. Hopefully soon, but it is vacation season.
 
You're giving it your all in an effort to move toward pain free. Can't criticize that.

Had to look up Ortho-Bionomy and for those reading here, from the Society of Ortho-Bionomy's home page, in brief, it states -
"Ortho-Bionomy helps people break the cycle of pain - without creating pain. Sometimes the body's natural ability to remain balanced is short circuited by stress, injury, accident, improper posture, emotional experiences or over taxing the body's limits."

Hopefully you hear back soon and once you have answers to your inquiry, if you choose to give it a try, I hope you'll share your experience here. I'd follow your journey with interest.
Best Wishes!
@alex_mom
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom