TKR First of two knees done

thanks for the response, @alex_mom . it sounds like you're making lots of progress. like you said TKR recovery is a long and winding road. hope you have a wonderful May week.
 
You’re doing so well @alex_mom it’s a long process and my physio says the quads take a long time to be 100% reliable on the stairs and so always hold the rails.
Please keep us posted.
 
Going down stairs is more painful. Some days at e worse than others, as goes TKR recovery. There are days I use a cane on stairs, around the house, for stability. Other days I don't need it.
For what its worth,
I saw a video of a PT explaining that if you're still dealing with pain while going downstairs at three months post TKR that it isn't just about strength, it's about the control. She suggests standing on the lowest step on the stair case, using support, or the railing, step down with your non surgery leg, slow and controlled, lead back up with your non surgery leg, the motion should feel controlled and not forced. If you can't control the lowering she said your knee will continue to feel overworked. Start small, she claims it's usually the missing piece.
Consider giving it a try and see what you think. :thumb:
 
As @FleuveStone says going downstairs is much harder than going up.
I have some ongoing issues with a permanently overstretched MCL and it was the best part of a year before I could do stairs normally going down.
As others have said, so long as you are making progress that's good news.
 
I saw a video of a PT explaining that if you're still dealing with pain while going downstairs at three months post TKR that it isn't just about strength, it's about the control. She suggests standing on the lowest step on the stair case, using support, or the railing, step down with your non surgery leg, slow and controlled, lead back up with your non surgery leg, the motion should feel controlled and not forced. If you can't control the lowering she said your knee will continue to feel overworked. Start small, she claims it's usually the missing piece.
This sounds like one of my PT exercises, except I stepped down with the good and came back up (backwards) with the operated knee.
 
Here is a happy update: Yesterday I felt good enough to go outside and dead-head my rose bushes, which had unusually prolific flowers this year. It felt so good to be doing normal things! My dear hubby carried the one-gallon pump sprayer for me (that is heavy when full) so I could spray the shrubs and boxwoods with fungicide, and that was most helpful. Between my knees and spondylolisthesis, it was all getting to be a bit too much for me last summer. Even better, my operated knee survived very nicely.
 
Back gardening again and reaping the rewards of your dedication and hard work. Yay! :flwrysmile:
Have a great Thursday and weekend!
@alex_mom
 
I am now a member of the ODIC (overdid it club). I've spent a couple of hours each day standing at the ironing board, the past few days, ironing various fabrics for a quilt project. My operated knee has been warm, ever since. It has behaved up until then, staying cool and not needing ice. Argh! Well, it's now getting iced again, a few times a day. No redness, just inflammation and barely discernible swelling. It's interesting that just standing at the ironing board for so long can do this.
 
Standing still for a length of time is definitely harder than moving around.

I’m a quilter, also, so I know what you mean. One of the milestones in my recovery was being able to sit on my swivel chair and bend my knee enough to swivel them under the sewing table to sew!
 
I second (or actually third) what Jockette and Sister have said. My knees really could not tolerate standing still for any length of time. My solution was to put a tall stool in my kitchen so I could perch on something when I was cooking or doing any task that required standing in one spot for more than a few minutes.
 
Sorry you've landed in the ODIC. I hope your time there is short.
Wishing you lots of comfort today.
@alex_mom
 
Welcome to the ODIC, the one we never want to join, but somehow we all do.
The trick I found when engrossed in something I love to do is to set a timer and then move. If standing - walk a bit, if sitting - get up and so on. Once I got back in my studio last year it was essential and helped with the recovery, the mind was happy, and the body too.
Because of my bd back I’ve hardly been in there at all this year. Still there’s plenty of time yet.
 
Hi alex_mom,
Stopping by to say Hi and check on you as you hit another milestone. I hope you fully recovered from the ODIC. With any luck you bounced back quickly. :fingersx:
Wishing you a Happy Four Month Anniversary and a great week!
@alex_mom
 
Thank you Layla. I have recovered and learned my lesson about overdoing it. LOL I'm doing a bit more outdoor walking and have gotten up to over one mile a couple of times, at a slow pace. The trekking poles go with me and have saved me a couple times when the new knee buckles. The quads are still getting re-programmed and it is annoying.

Hopefully the soft tissue damage pain will go away one day. The operated knee still has more discomfort than the one waiting for it's own TKR. It helps to remember that it's still early days. Each week I am doing more and more ADLs and just getting on with life.
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom