First Knee 19 Aug

Hello @NuNees2019 - and :welome:

Here are some article, to help you prepare for your surgery:
If you are at the stage where you have joint pain but don't know for sure if you are ready to have surgery, these links may help:
Score Chart: How bad is my arthritic knee?
Choosing a surgeon and a prosthesis
BMI Calculator - What to do if your surgeon says you're too heavy for joint replacement surgery
Longevity of implants and revisions: How long will my new joint last?

If you are at the stage where you are planning to have surgery but are looking for information so you can be better prepared for what is to come, take a look at these links:
Recovery Aids: A comprehensive list for hospital and home
Recliner Chairs: Things you need to know if buying one for your recovery
Pre-Op Interviews: What's involved?

Regardless of where you are in the process, the website and app My Knee Guide can help you stay organized and informed. The free service keeps all the information pertaining to your surgery and recovery in one place on your smartphone. It is intended to be a personal support tool for the entire process.

And if you want to picture what your life might be like with a replaced knee, take a look at the posts and threads from other BoneSmarties provided in this link:
Stories of amazing knee recoveries

Having my first total knee replacement on the left knee 19 August at Evans Army Hospital in Colorado Springs, CO
Hi Nunees2019, and welcome! My first TKR is going to be on August 13th, here in New Orleans. It's a little scary but I am hopeful that I may regain more use of that knee, with less pain, after recovery. Then when I have recovered enough, on to the other knee, for me anyway. :egypdance:

Welcome @NuNees2019! This is a great, supportive forum. I'm 2 weeks post op and I adore my new knee!

I miss Colorado Springs. We used to live straight up Academy where it turns into Broadmoor Bluffs Dr and we lived on the hill overlooking Ft Carson. I used to walk in the mornings and listen to reveille drift over the hills. And my sister was stationed there until last year. It's a nice place.

Hello, and thanks Carole4815, and luvcats for your comments.

Carole4815, I also plan on the second knee about 7-8 weeks after the first, providing all goes well with the first knee. :) My prayers for you that all goes well!

luvcats, I have lived in C Springs for about 18 years. Lived on the east coast for 24 years prior to that. One of my granddaughters lives in North Carolina - so I do visit there. But I always love to come back to CO - no place compares. So glad that you are in love with your new knee :egypdance:! I am anxious to have the same results!

However, when I was a teenager, I could not wear 'cheap' earrings without my earlobes getting itchy, swollen, and hot. I did a 48 hour patch test this week, and nada, zip, zero response to anything on the patches - 35 of them. I don't know if I should trust the patch test being accurate. I surely don't want to go thru this TKR only to find that I really am allergic/sensitive to metals in my implant. After reading about revisions, that is not something I care to go thru. I'm wearing old earrings today that I think caused those reactions - if they do, I'll have to post-pone my surgery until I can get the blood test done. Praying not.

@NuNees2019, I was sensitive to cheap metal fasteners in clothing from Asia at about that time. I think they were using some really super cheap metals overseas back then, that probably aren't even allowed in clothing sold in the US these days. I still have scars from the sores that were caused by my sensitivity. But, no further problems with metals in the past 40-45 years.

I am pretty sure the metals used in implants are much, much higher quality. Still, it never hurts to be cautious! I hope both of us have good first TKR's in about a month.

However, when I was a teenager, I could not wear 'cheap' earrings without my earlobes getting itchy, swollen, and hot. I did a 48 hour patch test this week, and nada, zip, zero response to anything on the patches - 35 of them. I don't know if I should trust the patch test being accurate. I surely don't want to go thru this TKR only to find that I really am allergic/sensitive to metals in my implant.
If you feel you'd like to have a more accurate test - which seems like a good idea - this is how:

For anyone who would like to get a full metal allergy test prior to any joint replacement surgery, you can get the test done in the USA by ordering the test kit from https://www.orthopedicanalysis.com/testing/order-testing-panel . You want the Orthopedic Panel Test 2. Once you get the test kit, your GP (or any lab) can do the blood draw and send it in for testing. You will need a doctor's signature with the blood sample, requesting the test.

Unfortunately, it;s rather costly and most insurance companies don't cover it.

@NuNees2019 I have similar issues with earrings, except my earlobes also bleed and get a yucky discharge, but didn't catch the connection before my TKR. Afterwards, after having a lot of problems, I was tested for metal allergies, and the result was reactive to nickel. We don't know if that was causing my problems, and if it was what caused my implant to become loose, but I'm sure it didn't help. I ended up having a revision four years later (I needed it sooner but couldn't bring myself to do it until then) so I recommend you make sure to speak to your OS about it ahead of time (like now). I'd see if your insurance will cover the cost; mine actually did, but if not and if there's any concern, I'd still get the test. I'd have paid for it myself if my insurance hadn't.

Thank you all for sharing what you know. The TKR is covered by Tricare, so I will have to see if my PCP will give me the needed 'rx' or whatever it is called to have the blood draw completed. I have a civilian doctor who will give me that scrip, but it just means I'll have to add another $150 to get that. Still think it's worth it. However, even if it comes back negative, it would relieve me to know that.

FWIW, I wound up not being able to wear earrings in my early adulthood because of reactions like you describe. I'm not sure what type of metal is in my knees but so far so good. Still, it may be worth it for your peace of mind to get the test done.

wow, I received my blood test results for metals and cements. Report says I am highly reactive to nickel (at Index 15). Reactive to Cobalt and Zirconium. Mildly reactive to aluminum. Have called my surgeon and hope to hear from him or his nurse tomorrow.

He declined the surgery! I am heartbroken! I will meet with him next week, and he may be able to offer some other options (trials) to deal with the pain until an implant that I am not sensitive to is created (very unlikely, as I am in an extremely small percentage of individuals who is sensitive to all three current materials). He was unwilling to risk the possibilty of amputation if the oxinium was rejected.

@NuNees2019 I am so sorry to read you can't proceed with your surgery! Can he investigate alternate implants? I hope he can meet with the representatives of some of the manufacturers so see if there is something for you.

Please keep us updated and know that we are here for you!

Sorry to hear this :( but better to be cautious and investigate options.

I was overcome with grief for a few days. To live like this with this pain for the rest of my life was overwhelming. I am somewhat recovered from the initial disclosure that I couldn't have the TKR. Many are praying that God will intervene and give me a miracle. I have an appointment with the surgeon next Wednesday. I will share what he shares with me. The surgeon and his OR nurse have contacted manufacturers and will let me know what they find out. I will see about other pain management options other than NSAIDS, ultram, cortisol injections, etc., because now that I cannot have the surgery, I feel I must get off the NSAIDS/ultram/cortisone. Although I am cautious in their use, I am also aware that they can become more of a problem if used frequently.

August 2019 has been a pretty tough month. My appointment with the surgeon had to be re-scheduled to the 28th of August. On the 27th of August, my father passed away unexpectedly. I kept that appointment on the 28th - and it was tough to do, but the surgeon was going to be on TDY for 30 days beginning in Sept, so my Mom insisted I keep the appointment. The surgeon said that some manufacturers are working on a ceramic implant, but it will be years before it's available to the public. So, I will be patient, and prayerful! I'll check in from time to time to see how folks are doing with their new 'knees'!

I'm sorry you've had such a tough month. My sympathies on the death of your father.

Just to clarify - your TKR scheduled for August 19 was cancelled and you're now waiting for a ceramic knee replacement that doesn't contain any of the metals to which you're allergic. Is that correct?

Jamie has written this about knee replacements for people with metal allergies:
One of our partners, Aesculap, has a layered knee implant that has Zirconium nitride (a ceramic coating) as the top layer. It's called the Gold Knee and it has had success in people who have allergic reactions to some of the metals typically used in knees.

CeramTec also makes a ceramic knee but it is still involved in the FDA approval process. It is available in Europe and the UK.
It sounds as if your surgeon is referring to the CeramTec knee.

Since you're working within the VA system, it might be a little tricky to get access to an Aesculap knee if none of the surgeons at your hospital are trained and using it. But.....if you're interested in checking it out, I suggest you make an appointment with the hospital's patient advocate. These days veterans are permitted to go to private practices under some conditions and this might just be one that would apply. Whatever administrative requirements might be in the way of that would be something your advocate can help with.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dcytpoti
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom