Guest viewing is limited

THR First good day

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had total hip replacement April 13th. I experienced sharp tingling in lower leg down through top of foot. It is very painful. The calf of the operated leg is numb, feels like rubber. The Dr said it is nerve damage due to surgery. He said sciatic nerve but I am surmising IT band . Is anyone familiar with this and what can I do to regain feeling in the leg?
@Realhippy49

Here's a recent quote from my recovery thread :

"Sciatic pain! Anyone else come out of THR to find that they still have lots of low back pain and sciatic pain they were hoping would go away? I have had low back issues for years and severe sciatic issues for almost the past year but I hoped that walking straighter would help.

How to recover from surgery with these conditions? Can only lie on side, can't sit both because of THR wound and low back pain. They took away my Methocarbamol (anti-spasmodic) which used to help low back, need to call to ask why."

sounds like I had sciatic issues going into surgery, and you somehow got them while in surgery.

I really hope that recovery, however hard it is for you, resolves your sciatic issues. Sciatic pain is no joke . I hope that the worst you have is numbness . I, too, have a weird nerve- like slightly painful sensation from my knee down to my foot, even at rest.

i'm sure it's very hard to walk on a leg that may feel like it's not there or feels quite different from the other .

what I'm trying to say is you have my empathy!
 
@Cindy99 thanks for your response. I am so sorry to hear of your difficult recovery. Have you looked into any alternative therapies, chiropractory or massage , etc. I will pray for your healing & write back soon!
 
@Realhippy49 I'm 18 days out from hip two and 4 1/2 months out of hip 1. @Legin will be happy to tell you all about my frustrated lack of progress and lack of speed with hip 1. I find those timelines they give us maddening. I was told that I should be off the walker at two weeks, and I was still using the flicking thing at 6 weeks. I was crazy with frustration! I feel you totally!
I broke out of my frustration with acupuncture. I was not moving forward until I did this at week 6. I also had good luck with pool exercise. I know hips don't need much PT to get better, but my muscles were a mess from over a decade of hip pain (long story). The pool allowed me an amazing freedom of movement and the ability to stretch those tight muscles. I did 12 weeks of PT and continued after that in the pool doing my exercises.
I have found the chiropractor has been helpful as well, especially for my lower back issues.
Stick with us Real! I so feel ya. Patience is not my forte, but your boy heals on it's own time frame, not anything the doctor gives you.
One thing my surgeon said I should ask him is not "am I normal" but "are you worried"? I think that's sage advice.
 
Good post and no Lynn you were the perfect recovery patient, chortle

Legin THR Sep 14
 
I have the heart of an athelete, but my body has to catch up. I have decided to rest, elevate, medicate and ice.

Realhippy sounds like a good plan to me, we are all desperate to be up and running asap but doing things gradually is always the best way.I am sure your daughter will keep you right and a real bonus her being a nurse.

Billy
 
@LibraryLynn such a thorough response! So you did well with the acupuncture, nice. Yes, we are individuals and I am looking at the side of what has gone right. There is so much to be thankful for. My husband has shown a side that I never really experienced in 37 years of marriage. He is an auto mechanic, not a nurse, but he helps me with everything. I think this has brought us closer. Well, I am off to the medical supply store to purchase a tray for my walker. I can't balance everything and hold the walker too. I hope you have a good day and thanks for taling the time to write!
 
Hi @Realhippy49 - I love the advice your dr gave you about asking if he/she is worried. Im going to have to use that.
Like you I also saw a new side of my husband after 45 years which has been great for our relationship. We can always find something positive about this illness if we look hard enough. haha
I wore an apron for a while to carry things when I used the walker but it was so soothing to ask my husband to bring me a glass of water or my coffee that I took advantage....but he has had lots of accidents over the years and I have taken care of him so I figure it is my turn to be the patient.
Have a good day!
 
@GrannyDi Hubby & I have been through some very hard times together, but the important part is we staid together! What would I do without hom now? He humors me and keeps me going. That is true love!
 
@Legin i am reading Tuesdays with Morrie. There is a lot to learn in suffering. I was the energizer bunny, now turned into the tortoise. Pain is bearable now & my super OS is going to refill my pain prescription. He must be acknowledging that I do have an extra issue. So I am enjoying being grounded. How about you?
 
Glad to hear that you got the meds sorted out and yes its so hard I watched the lads move a chair and I wasnt allowed near it, very bossy errr caring wiffffff. Me errrr long story and difficult to keep short but im good and have some new impetus.
BTW loved what you wrote about hubby our partners are the best must tell her that when she gets in and megga hug.
Keep smiling

Legin THR Sep 14
 
@Legin it is so cool to "hear" your accent! My son-in-law took my granddaughter to London this past fall. She is a big Dr. Who fan.
We have this cute childrn's book "If you give a mouse a cookie" in the US. It is about a pet mouse who asks for a cookie, and then wants something else, and then it goes on an on. I tell my hubby that is me now. As soon as I ask for one thing, there are two more requests to follow in quick succession.
I don't have alot of energy or big appetite. I am glad I gained a few extra pounds before surgery.
I hope you have a great weekend!
 
I had a second good day! I decided to get organized and apply my "7 habits of highly effective people ". My days were one long day blending into the next and it was getting depressing! No earth shaking goals, get up @ 8 am, shower, ice, play my flute, exercise, go to bed at 11 pm. But it helped!
 
@Realhippy49 I know its the cabin fever. Im sure you have already gone thru every idea of what you can do. When my silly pain is high I look for things I can do seated, so I do a lot of the prep I often do a lot of the cooking but now have to do well I guess its a risk assessment. Oh we have another flautist, Zuberflote .

Legin THR Sep 14
 
I am tryong to walk some and the hip goes along nicely, but then the sciatic begins to cry out for attention. I have asked family for more company since I am a big peple person. Sitting here without smiling faces and the sounds of children is the thing that is causing distress
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom