THR First good day

Status
Not open for further replies.
it has been three weeks and three days since THR. I had energy to do some household chores. I did some things, rested, elevated and iced. I am still keeping weight off Right hip, but am managing to help a bit around the house, one thing I did differently was take pain meds early in the am instead of writhing in pain till I got the gumption to get out of bed at 11am and take the meds. I take them after eating so I was really procrastinating.
 
Hippy49, congratulations on a good day! I know how great it feels to be able to get up and get some things done again; even if you're still in pain. Good luck on the continuing recovery.
 
Realhippy, keeping a consistent and adequate pain med schedule is one of the most important variables in making the early recovery period manageable. I'm glad you figured it out. Too many hippies (and kneesies) try to tough it out, thinking less is better. But in the first few weeks, pain gets out of control way too easily, and it's much harder to try and corral it if you're always playing catch-up. Good for you for realizing that. Now go easy on those chores; they've waited this long...they'll wait a bit longer. Your recovery comes first. :)

Sharon
 
Glad things are getting better for you! Sometimes keeping patient in recovery is the hardest part. But you have the right approach...slow and easy and listen to what you're body is telling you.

You may notice that I have merged your three recovery threads. We like to keep our members' recovery posts all in a single thread. That way it's easy for us to go back and read your history before responding to a question or concern. In addition, the thread becomes a journal of your recovery for those who come along later and want to read about you. So, please post in this thread from now on when you want to give an update or ask a question. If you decide you'd like a different thread title at any point, you can change it by using the Thread Tools button at the top right of your screen or just post what you want here and we'll get it changed for you.
 
Rode 4 1/2 hrs. To see my grandson graduate. We went out to an Indian restaurant and they had couches and pillows. I felt right at home. Tomorrow they want to carry me up 4 flights of stairs to where they are having lunch. I don't want to go through that & then the ceremony. I feel isolated, slow as a turtle. I want to show him I care. I need help to figure this out.
 
It's tough to make these decisions sometimes. But 4 flights of stairs? I don't know.....just be careful if you decide to go for it. And....remember that you have to come down as well!!! That whole event sounds like quite a challenge for a 3 week hip.

@Realhippy49 ... you'll notice I've moved this post to your recovery thread. You posted in another member's thread and asked for input....that tends to derail the other member's thread.
 
I don't know how to use this site! I get that I'm not posting correctly, but i can't figure out how to post in my thread. I can't find it. I go on my name, and ther is no place to post. Help please.
 
I guess I look for "first good day" and reply to that.
I am not going to the lunch or let anyone pick me up and go up 4 flights of stairs. Staying in bed with ice & they will come get me with the wheelchair and transport me to the ceremony. Everyone was fine with that. No sleep and lots of pain convinced me to reassess the situation. My mind still tells me I can move at the speed of preop. I am surrendering to the fact that my healing will be individual and not to compare with energizer bunnies who heal real quick.
 
We all heal at diff speeds so please dont worry about that, just concentrate on the important person , errrrrrr that would be you

Legin THR Sep 14
 
Wisw decision to skip the stair bit @Realhippy49 .
It took me a while to figure out the forum too but you can find your thread by going to HIP REPLACEMENT RECOVERY FORUM.
Then scroll down on the left and look for your picture to find your recovery thread. If you want to respond to someone use the @ sign and their forum name. There is a place somewhere that tells you how to use the forum but I haven't read it and it will do a much better job of explaining than I will. In the top right corner you will see ALERTS and they tell you who has responded or tagged you in a thread and you can just click on the specific alert if you like.
Yes take your time with recovery, with the ups and downs, both physical and emotional, and remember that baby steps still move one forward.
Diane
 
Well said. Dont forget you can voice all worries and concerns here or even just rant

Legin THR Sep 14
 
Started week five of recovery today. I am on somewhat of a schedule. I like legin, am not used to a sedentary lifestyle. I must accept this. I remember when I was a small child and all the others were out playing and I had to lay still in bed. My sister and a friend felt sorry for me and put me up in a tree with a full cast on my leg and hip. The neighbor leaped off the porch and pulled me down.
 
So chortling at the tree episode sounds so much like me and errrr still does. How is recovery going for you and yup @Realhippy49 thats the way to do it

Legin THR Sep 14
 
@Realhippy49 Took me a while to figure out how forum works.

To post in your own thread, find the " first good day " thread and scroll to very bottom of page. Where you see your picture you can add a post in the empty box.

to post in a different thread, simply scroll to the bottom of that thread and you can post a reply.

To 'tag' someone, meaning to get their attention, you use the @ sign and their username in your post. For example if I was in a thread somewhere, anywhere, and I wanted you to read my reply in that thread, I would add @Realhippy49 somewhere in my post .

to send someone a private message click on their picture and you will see the option for that.

there are other functions like hashtags but I haven't found them necessary at this point. Perhaps as you get into it you'll discover things

I hope this helps!
 
@Cindy99 -You said it better than I on how to use this forum.
And @Realhippy49 -I did get your message! You have figured it all out and now it is all in one thread. The moderators merged my recovery thread with my question thread. I attribute the brain malfunction to loss of grey matter from too much chronic pain for too long.
Have a good day!
 
You guys are. The best! My OS told me I'd be walking a mile 6 weeks aft er surgery. Well, today I made it to the mailbox down our short driveway using my sturdy walker. 2weeks to go, so I guess I'll be on a cram course.
 
@Legin recovery is so slow. I want to be hopeful, but the pain from sciatic nerve is dragging me like a heavy anchor. How are you holding up?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom