Guest viewing is limited

TKR Finally recovering

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks Buddahbear, sounds like I will have to try that seam roller.
 
Oh, I'm so glad you like it and are using it. And now that you have it figured out--you can change it at will. FYI--in case you should ever want to tag me, my user name is bottomshollow.
 
Oops, bottomshollow, must be a story in that name! Seeing my OS day after tomorrow to review my MRI. Can't imagine what is next. Must say though, without any significant effort, just the every day activity and stretches at night, I swear my ROM gets even better. A testament to the fact that just being active and moving - like those wonderful Okinowan women - is the key! On to the hips and spine!
 
[Bonesmart.org] Finally recovering
There really is no story---it's just what hubby and I call the two acres we live on in rural Nash County, NC. (A hollow is a small valley or basin and a very backwoods term.) We had tee shirts made up with this logo, and hubby has baseball caps with this on them. Then when I got a home computer, I made bottomshollow my user name since it's pretty unique. And that's it.
 
Love it. Made me smile. I used to live outside Olean, New York, in McClure Hollow - and it was just as you described, a true hollow!
 
Night....I finally found a gem of a massage therapist who is so intuitive! I completely agree with you. It's a very healing thing if you can find the right one.

Buddhabear...I also have lots of problems in my leg...bursitis, IT band and psoas issues and my foot feels like its always out of place. Also, I have a bad case of fibromyalgia which makes everything much more pronounced. I'm convinced that my leg issues are because I walked around on a bad knee for years and years. Do you think it's more than that?
 
Lauramacky, I've had X-rays, and an MRI that my OS is going to review with me on Thursday. I think in my situation it's a combination of having osteoarthritis all over the place and months of overly aggressive PT on my knees. The IT band isn't gone but the stretching and message has really improved it. The bursitis in the knees could be from the PT, but the bursitis in the hips might be from other hip issues. I did have cortisone shots in the hips and it has given me some temporary relief. I have been messaging the knee bursae too, pretty regularly. And icing everything. I actually take two or three hot baths a day too because I feel it loosens everything up before I do my PT and stretching - I have done that all along. I live in my bath tub!
My OS said my foot being out of place was not due to the knee surgery, and Josephine agreed. More, as with you, from being walking on bad knees for so long. I try so hard to walk upright and feet forward. Nothing seems to be in sinc. I'd be willing to say that for you, it's because you are still so early in your recovery. I know, doesn't seem like it - but I learned from the pros here just how long it takes many of us. I have gone back to lots of walking and time on the bike hoping things will all get realigned. On a better note, my ROM is better than 140 in both knees, so it's not all for naught! I think it's such a balance between keeping the knee moving and icing, resting and elevating. It does get old when it is all about the knees but we do have to get through this no matter how long it takes.
I'd say the folks here would say you should hang on before you think something else is going on. But if you really think something is wrong, call your OS. Let him/her tell you it's nothing to worry about.
Man, it ain't easy, is it??
 
Wow 140!!!!! That's incredible! I'm only at 120 grrr, but I suppose it will come in time. Three hot baths a day? You probably never get sick since you scrub all those germs away. LOL! Oh I don't think anything else is going on except for the fact I've been misaligned all my life, lol. I know I don't have any hip arthritis because I've been xrayed and everything is perfectly clear. But you are so right, it is not for the faint of heart. The good news is I recently got a new bed and I'm loving it! It's sooo cozy. :)
 
Buddhabear,
Hello. I've just read your thread. I'm sorry things are so rotten at times, but I think you are very right about the pain-depression link. I've been there and still make visits from time to time. Like you, I've learned to cherish and focus on those moments without pain. Even short-term relief is better than no relief. I wish you all the best.
 
Regarding pain and depression, I hear you on that. I'm also very good at covering it up when I write about it for some reason. But this has been one roller coaster of a ride emotionally. One day I'm crying and telling myself I can't do this anymore and the next day I'm thinking I see the light. It gets tiring and tiring for my hubby. ANd on top of it all, the pain medications enhance these depressed feelings I believe. I take a few mediations even before the surgery due to my neck injury and now adding these pain meds to the mix...well, let's just say that I try not to take too many because it gets very depressing after I "come down". But I still need those pain meds once in awhile otherwise I'd go crazy!
 
I am riddled with osteoarthritis also...from my toes to my fingers! I am grateful for my THR, but I know I have many more surgeries to look forward to....the other hip, both knees, and who knows what about my ankle. I am taking it one step at a time. One joint at a time! Each day gets a little better and I am finding that the arthritis is not as bad as before the THR. Right now...I am so grateful not to have the hip pain I had before. If I need to, I will have a Knee replaced during the summer. I have decided that I am too young not to enjoy life as every other 50somthing does! I want to be able to do everything my friends do with one being the one lagging behind!!!! We must stay strong!
 
Mbone, I know what you mean about lagging behind. I'm admitting this first ever here, but my friends have dwindled away over the years as I became more "hermitized". The last year I literally did nothing except sit here writhing in pain. I have no idea why I let it get that way, but part of it may be that I have a hard time confiding in someone about all this with my body. Like you, I want to get back to doing things again with friends. I really miss the interaction and the independence! So we are on our way!!!
 
Oh love you all, I will see my OS tomorrow and we will decide what's next, do you know what, you are the only friends who know I am going though this stage. Even my friends I respect for being supportive are done, it's getting old, I am back on my own. Let me interject a positive - I have messaged the **** out of my IB and it has worked. Ok, maybe temporarily, but no pain there tonight. Or last night. Talk to you all tomorrow-
 
Lauramacky, I posted before I read yours. You are right, we are hermitized!!!!! You know, I was just watching a scene on tv where someone moved quickly out of danger, I couldn't right now. Could you? Could we save ourselves??? We are trying to avoid ice. I have tested myself jumping rope - mind you a year ago, ok, two years ago, I could jump 120. It's irrelevant now. Could I save myself?? Could I run? I am still afraid of ice! Ok, I am going to go outside right now - and not enjoy the New England winter but try to survive in it. I am going to try to run as if my life depended on it -
 
Omg I've thought of that very thing Buddhabear! We live in the SF Bay Area which is earthquake country. I've often wondered what would happen if there was a major earthquake. I can't run. Heck, I can barely walk straight! I still can't really drive although ive done it twice. It's scary to think I might need to hurry sometime. I'm paranoid crossing the street for fear I might have to get out of the way quickly. Hopefully nothing will happen to any of us!
 
I did.i could run! But after 20 or 30 seconds lost my stride. Tried to run again. Tried to get my stride I had when I we doing 5ks. Seconds after my knees didn't hurt but they gave in. Ok, I needed to do this. Ok. Ok. They work.
 
Lauramacky, still scared. I did some response, but could I save myself?? Or a loved one?? I am an idiot, I am going out again, and trying to really test them.
 
Hey I'd take even five seconds. I'm one week out from three months and I'm still struggling. Sighs. I know I have no control over this but it's sooo frustrating. There is no place I feel comfortable sitting due to my hip. My groin and my back. Ugh. Sometimes it gets really hard y'know?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom