Guest viewing is limited

TKR Finally recovering

Status
Not open for further replies.
Buddhabear, I'm so glad it turned out so well for you and you got heard, you deserve that! :console2: Do let us know how it turns out on Wednesday!
 
I was here looking for advice and found this thread:) I am 14 weeks out today and some of your issues sound so familiiar to me. The aggressive PT causing a hault for days- the feeling of 'will this ever get better?' My PT thinks I am having problems due to my pigeon toes and that maybe I put this RTKR off too long (I had to get my LTHR done first!). She says I am using muscles that have not been used for some time. All I want her to do is a deep tissue message. I hope she's correct because now I'm getting that tell tail groin pain in my right hip! Sorry for your experience but thanks for posting.
 
I am a huge advocate of good therapeutic massage - preferably someone well-trained in shiatsu and who understands the lymphatic system and musculature of the legs/hips.
 
So here I am. Feeling a little derailed. Been keeping a great diary since taking this week off to let these 'knees' rest. Icing, resting, elevating, stretching. Pain, if anything, has increased. So I sat in my car before going into my OS appointment yesterday wondering if things could get worse. Couldn't begin to imagine what I was going to hear. So first of all, my ROM in my left knee was over 140. And the right knee which was done first was even better. But he listened to my complaints and knew right where he was going. During his exam found many points of pain. After x-rays - osteoarthritis in hips and spine. Facet joint arthritis, degenerative disk disease, iliotibial band syndrome and trochanteric bursitis. Had steroid shots in the bursa in each hip and having an MRI to determine next steps. Bottom line, knees are great, it's everything else that is causing pain that radiates down my legs and feels like it is centered in the knees. So needless to say I will have a day online to research. But if anyone out there has any advice I'd appreciate it. sad:
 
Well I don't have any knowledge of what is going on but I can pray for you. I can understand the frustration of having pain and not really knowing why. Prayers that quickly they find the problem and are able to correct it.
 
[Bonesmart.org] Finally recovering
I'm so sorry, Buddhabear, that you also have other basically age related problems that are causing pain. Hips can be replaced (not that you want to think about that right now) and chiropractic manipulation and/or steroid shots can help the back problems.


Unfortunately, getting new knees did not make our bodies any younger. And we are slowly wearing out---we just have to make the most of it, temper our activities to work within the parameters of what is mostly comfortable for us. Fingers crossed that the steroid injections will eliminate most of the referred pain you've been experiencing.

Please take care and keep us posted. We care. [Bonesmart.org] Finally recovering
 
Kathy, I so feel for you!:console2: I too have arthritis running rampant through my body, and it cares not where it rests!:skep: Before my mom passed she would break bones in her spine and ribs just by coughing or sneezing, I hope to god I don't go down that path, however it seems I am well on that road since I have arthritis everywhere she's had it so far, knees, crooked fingers, neck, lower back, etc...

I so wish you the best in finding out what can help you live life as normal as possible! If it become so debilitating, you may want to look into getting on social security disability (your OS should be able to help you out with that, just bring it up when you see him next) and early retirement! Surely if your work place is going to give you grief, it's only going to make you more stressed out which in turn will contribute to more arthritic flare ups! Stress is an ugly thing my dear and if you can eliminate some of it by getting on disability and/or erly retirement, then the better for you!
Good luck and stay well my BoneSmartie friend!:friends:
 
You know, Bottomshallow, that's exactly what it is!! I am not aging slowly and gracefully, I became old quickly starting a year and a half ago. Everything has changed. I have a huge perennial garden and I can't imagine maintaining it if one more part of my body breaks down. That's just symbolic, I know, but I just never would have imagined I would ever be this broken! I have to get a grip. I'm not dying, I'm not on chemo, there is so much I have to be grateful for. I will learn to accept this. I will. Thank you.
 
I know exactly where you're coming from. I have a lot of other body parts that are beginning to break down. I try very hard to ignore them---and get away with it a lot, so far. My hands are becoming more arthritic; my spinal stenosis (which includes my neck) isn't going to get any better; the bunion on my right foot along with the toe next to it I think I broke months ago annoys me; my right shoulder which makes crunching sounds from time to time is a sometimes a pain. You know the drill.

So I rely as much as possible on the idea that aging effects the body but not the soul. And just for fun the following seems to be the most positive take on aging:

[Bonesmart.org] Finally recovering
Take care, keep posting, I care.
 
Kathy, I am only 55 years old and I have felt old for a few years now. I have Crohns Disease and for me it has increased things that most have a few more years before they get hit. I have osteoarthritis all over too, and I thought getting the knee fixed would help more than it has. Because of taking steroids so many times over my life, my skin is now really thin. I bump my hands or forearms on something and I get purple blood bruises. I have gotten to the point that I feel that I better get used to this. As getting older brings more troubles of its own. Hugs!
 
Wow, Nanners, I have a lot to learn. And I have to recalculate. It's not just the knees, I know now. It's the arthritis every where. I don't know what the suggestion will be after the MRI. But my life has changed, and it is not going back. I have to make peace with this, sounds like you have. I took the pain meds today, and after the cortisone shots in my hips, I actually felt pretty good for a while, even took a walk before a good old fashion New England blizzard hit. But I agree, we have to get used to this. I am a pretty spiritual person, and hope I can muster some internal strength. You are dealing with so much more. Hugs to you too, and thanks.
 
Hope you are doing okay Kathy after that big storm. One of my good friends lives in Boston and has been posting some crazy pics on FB. Stay safe!
 
Ouch. So sorry to hear. On the bursitis, I've gotten cortisone shots & they really help, plus some specific stretching exercises. (Just what you wanted to hear: more PT!) But really, they helped. Also specific stretches for IT band hell. Believe it or not, running a rolling pin over the IT band helps, with pressure. Heal!
 
Buddahbear, I too can totally relate! Pain makes you old. Last week I had my 3 month check up for my TRKR (I'm moving very slowely in the right direction) and we ended up talking about a possible (probable?) TRHR! I didn't want to bring it up but I did - it seems the more active I get with my knee, the more my hip hurts:( Having had a TLHR in 2011, I know the signs all too well. I am trying to come to grips with this possibility. I think he was trying to make me feel better when he said "at least it's not your other knee." One day at a time...
 
pdx, thanks for reminding me about the rolling pin! I had been using one on the area right above my knee where I thought I was developing scar tissue. And I have a marble one that can be chilled. Going to do that as soon as I am done here. And, Ginny, reconciling to the aging process and the inevitability for some of us with osteoarthritis just about every where, is such a process and as we keep saying so depressing.
But I have to tell you all this. Today I had an important experience. The cortisone injections in both hips have really helped! And seems to be progressive, is that how it works? Seems a little better everyday. today all of a sudden I realized I had no pain. Discomfort and tightness but no pain. I took an inventory. Really thought about it. Ok, the relief from the injections in the hips may be temporary but for now, I am not in pain. My mood lifted, and that horrible pending-doom kind of depression seemed to dissipate. I was at work and suddenly became my old effective professional self. It was so clear to me how pain and depression so tightly linked. For the rest of the day I was almost giddy. Even smiled through an MRI of my spine! What I need to take from this is - I assume I have more pain to come, and I assume it will kick that depression into gear again. There has to be a mantra for reminding us all that it is the pain that is causing the depression, or making it worse. Being in pain is depressing, it isn't life - it's the pain! I'd be willing to bet we are all pretty good at coping, and I know many us are and have dealt with a lot. But this pain has thrown so many of us off course. I have felt like there will never be good joyous days again. But there will be and I had one today! For everyone out there who is new to this, be gentle with yourself if you feel this depression. See it for what it is. Don't think it is more than it is. It is the pain. It's not us - its the pain! And it will pass!
 
Josephine, I have to thank you for your library entries regarding IT band syndrome. Besides the hips and spine and bursitis, my IT bands are really painful. I have been resting and icing, but just started the recommended stretching and message. Thanks!
 
I know how you feel about work colleagues just not realising whats happening with you. I was lucky in that work from home but I did have to go in a couple of times a month for meetings. I think at 10 weeks post op I was at a meeting. I'd told them the maximum I could do was 2 hours and I'd done my presentation but this meeting then just went on and on talking rubbish. I started to get really sore sitting so long and was getting angry so I quietly packed up my computer and 2 big folders and excused myself. Not one of the other 5 people in the room offered to help carry the stuff out. So I limped out, quads gave way so I stumbled, almost dropped the computer. Still nobody helped me. As I opened the door to leave somebody said to my back "thanks for coming". I left in tears, fortunately nobody could see.
Karma will work her ways
 
Hey all, I found a new tool - maybe some one has used it before. It's a wallpapering seam roller! I am using it for my IT band pain, and rolling what I think are scar tissues above my knees. I was using a rolling pin but its a little clumsy when I am messauging the whole length of the outside of my leg. It's really just a two inch rolling pin with a handle! It's great!
 
My physical therapist and I recently determind that my TKR recovery problems are stemming from the IT band (with much thanks to the info on this board) . For two weeks in a row she gave me a deep tissue massage and just a few days ago she put some tape on the muscle (and all the way down the leg) that seems to take the preassure of the knee. I am so happy to say that this is all working! to relieve the pain and allowing me to continue recovery. I feel great this week:)
 
Me, too - Ginny, I knew it was IT band before I saw my OS. And message is soooo helpful.loving my new seam roller - cheaper than paying fora message therapist!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom