THR Finally on the other side

I'm sorry your shoulder is acting up :sad:
To check walker heighth, try this.
Stand inside the walker and relax your arms at your sides. The top of the walker grip should line up with the crease on the inside of your wrist.
 
Hang in there! The hip meds may have been helping your shoulder some and not anymore. I had to buy a wrist brace for my right arm prior to surgery. I was overusing it when I would push to stand up. My compensation techniques were many. I hope you get some much needed relief!
 
I'm sorry your shoulder is acting up :sad:
To check walker heighth, try this.
Stand inside the walker and relax your arms at your sides. The top of the walker grip should line up with the crease on the inside of your wrist.
Thank you so much for this information, I had my walker set up far too high and needed to lower it by two notches. Hopefully it will be less strain on my arms now. Now I just have to break my habit of hanging on to my crutches for dear life !
 
I just have to break my habit of hanging on to my crutches for dear life !
That's a normal reaction. I did the same thing my first few weeks post-op because I was so worried about falling.

Just take things slowly-- you'll find as you feel more stable, your grip will loosen.
:flwrysmile:
 
Hang in there! The hip meds may have been helping your shoulder some and not anymore. I had to buy a wrist brace for my right arm prior to surgery. I was overusing it when I would push to stand up. My compensation techniques were many. I hope you get some much needed relief!
That does make sense re pain meds originally helping to mask my other aches and pains, thanks for that insight.

I do find it frustrating that in trying to help my hip I end up causing myself other problems. Even a simple walk to the bathroom is becoming stressful now that I'm constantly checking myself, to make that I don't do something I shouldn't.
 
Have you been shown how to use the crutches correctly and are still doing so? Just as, I was using them all wrong but thinking it was the natural way the first time the physio handed them to me. Even know I notice I rush off and yesterday I definitely over did it. It’s both crutches forward before any step taken and then operated leg first to be inline with the crutches and then non op leg and then repeat. Then I time you can take a faster pace. Are you fully weight bearing?
I wonder with your right arm if you have just been heavily leaning and impinged a nerve.
 
@Clairebella I think you're definitely right about my right arm. It hasn't got any worse since I've lowered my frame by a couple of inches and now that it's lower I'm finding it easier not too lean too heavily on it as well which I think is helping.

I was shown how to use the crutches at the hospital and I think I'm doing reasonably ok with them apart from leaning too heavily on them - I've been making the palms of my hands quite sore from it. Unfortunately I got into bad habits pre-surgery, when I thought I had to protect my hip as much as posible by bearing as much weight as I could on my crutches. Now, even though I've been told my new hip is fully weight bearing I'm only just beginning to believe it for myself.
 
I went for first post op today. My surgeon said that my Walker needed to be raised by three moves- it is much easier to use now. Tall girl issues.
 
@Hippie Chick It's good to hear your post op appointment went well and your walker problem has been sorted. It does seem a bit weird though as I think we're similar heights - I'm 5' 7'5''(the half inch is very important) and my walker was too high and yours was too low - I guess it all depends on how long someone's arms are at the end of the day. I'm certainly glad I went for an adjustable walker the same as you otherwise we would have been stuck with something that wasn't doing us any good.
 
I’m 5 7 and the physio adjusted my crutches two weeks ago when she saw the blisters in my hands! I am fully weight bearing so am now relying more on my legs with the crutches there for security and balance.

I tried walking around the garden without them but noticed a waddle so I’m happily back on them . I’m in no rush as I want to get this recovery 100% right!
 
...I tried walking around the garden without them but noticed a waddle so I’m happily back on them . I’m in no rush as I want to get this recovery 100% right!
Oh no, not the dreaded waddle! I get scolded when I start to waddle by my wife. It takes focus for sure. Keep trending positive on your recovery!
 
Esmeralda- good luck with your clip removal today! I am sending great vibes your way. I am 5’8 so we are all very close in height! My os says stand up so I can check your incision and Walker height. Quick glance- it needs to go up 3. In the waiting room, a delightful PT fixed it for me. I wore a dress- it made X-ray, incision check, etc. extremely easy plus I felt good out of my recovery clothes. Please update us when you return!
 
Hi both! Hope the staple removal went well… and my crutch height was changed too. More about my physio later but all good. I’m doing stuff I could not do with hip 1 five years ago.. firing off a bit now so have an ice pack wrapped and strapped.
 
@Hippie Chick @SurreyGirl - Thank you both for your kind thoughts'.

Unfortunately yesterday, which started so well turned out to be my worse day pain wise post op ! The morning was really good, it was my husband's return to work day, which meant that instead of following me around like a shadow he decamped to my eldest son's bedroom which has become his temporary office while my son is in Australia. So I was preparing my breakfast, doing some washing up etc just feeling really good in general about being 2 weeks post op and clip removal day.

My first mistake was trying to adjust my too tight compression sock myself, of course to do that I had to bend forward - bang went the 90 deg. rule. Luckily I got a sharpish twinge to the front of my hip before I went too far into the 90 deg. but I just can't believe that I tried to do that. After that I took it easy as I didn't want to aggravate my hip anymore but I did carry on getting strange twinges in my buttock for several hours afterwards.

My next mistake was my choice of transportation to my doctors. I could have returned to the hospital to have my clips out but because our car has really low seats and I have real trouble getting in and out post op I thought it would be easier to hire a wheelchair and my husband push me to the doctors surgery which is under 20 minutes walk away. I didn't realise until too late that the seat of the wheelchair wasn't very firm even with a cushion on it and I found that as the journey progressed I was sinking in the middle of the seat which caused my op side knee to turn inwards, this was not helped by the fact that the foot rests could not be adjusted low enough for me to rest my op foot on without raising my knee higher than my hip. What made it worse was that the pavements were in such a bumpy state that every jolt of the wheelchair was causing me pain.

The actual clip removal itself was fine, I had taken extra pain relief beforehand just in case, but there was only the tiniest bit of discomfort with certain clips. The nurse said the wound was nice and clean and healing well. She also suggested using vaseline on the wound to help flatten it.

My final mistake was not ditching the wheelchair for my return journey home ( I sometimes wonder about my decision making ability since having the op) It was a sightly improved journey home as I used my cardigan as a cushion to help keep my knees apart and pointing forward and I also removed my thick soled shoe on my op side which made it easier to rest my foot on the foot rest. But as soon as I got home I went straight to bed and stayed there for the rest of the day. The pain was low to medium level until the pre clip removal pain relief wore off and then it was suddenly like falling off a cliff, I could not believe how quickly it changed, it was so bad I was afraid to move in case I made it worse. I can't believe how easy it was to cause myself so much extra pain but the worst of it is that I feel I have set myself back on my recovery journey.
 
She also suggested using vaseline on the wound to help flatten it.
I would not recommend this. Just leave the incision area to heal. It will flatten on its own.

At only 2 weeks out of surgery you are doing far too much. Scale back and be kinder to that new hip. This is major surgery. You are only weeks into a process that can take one year or longer.

And no, you should not be trying to put on compression socks on your own. They are difficult to put on with help!

To address your issue with lower seats in the car, get yourself a firm wedge cushion for use in the car. I had the same issue with my car post LTHR. Wedge cushion worked great!
 
Esmeralda you had a trauma for certain! I cannot imagine the stress of your journey. I am glad the clip removal went well! Take it easy today.

Jaycey greater details on how to use a wedge please.
 
@Jaycey

Thank you for the helpful advice, I was going to send my husband out today to buy a jar of vaseline but will now give that a miss. I've also found some wedge cushions online which look like they would be suitable to use in a car.

Yesterday was a shock to me as I didn't expect it to hurt that much but I'm pleased to report that after resting lots into the evening and overnight the pain has subsided quite a bit which is a relief. I'm definitely going to take it slowly from now on and the wheelchair has been firmly parked in the porch.
 
[Bonesmart.org] Finally on the other side
This is the wedge I bought. At the time I was driving a Smart car that had pretty low bucket seats. The cushion is firm and it allows the legs to position normally in the footwell. I actually continued to use this cushion for years after my first THR.
 
Hello,
@Esmeralda glad to hear things are better for you. Wishing you a continued successful recovery.

@Jaycey did you buy on Amazon? Can you please tell us what is the brand for the wedge, if you know it or still have the information.

Thanks Tra2419
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom