TKR Finally found a new surgeon

That is great news! I have been following your plight @Mr Gary . I too had a difficult search for a new surgeon. I hope this one is your new angel!
 
Hello @Mr Gary ,
I'm glad to read that you have found a new surgeon. That's really good news.

However, you'll notice that I have merged your newest thread with your original recovery thread - it really is one continuing story.
For several reasons, we prefer that you only have one recovery thread:
  • That way, we have all your information in one place. This makes it easier to go back and review your history before providing advice.
  • If you keep starting new threads, you miss the posts and advice others have left for you in the old threads, and some information may be unnecessarily repeated
  • Having only one thread will act as a diary of your progress that you can look back on.
So please post any updates, questions or concerns about your recovery here.

Don't worry that we won't see your question or comment because, between us, the staff read all new posts every day.

If you want to draw attention to the new topic (such as finding a new surgeon), you can post in your thread that you would like your thread title changed and we'll do that for you.

If you need an urgent response to a question, just tag a member of staff.
How to tag another member; how to answer when someone tags you

Here are the instructions on finding your thread, How can I find my threads and posts? . Many members bookmark their thread, so they can find it when they log on.
 
Thank you so much to everyone that has been following my progress. You all are such good friends and I appreciate all of you.:thankyou:
 
That’s wonderful that you found another surgeon to listen to you!
 
I spacer exchange would be a good fix, if that's what's wrong. It sounds like you have a good surgeon now! When is your CT scan? :prayer::prayer::praying:
 
@sistersinhim
I’m not sure exactly when my CT scan will be, waiting for approval from insurance co.
I will post as soon as I find out.
Thank you so much.:thankyou:
I do need all the prayer I can get.
 
OK, my R-TNR, WAS ON 8/9/17, as hard as I tried I could never get more than 90 degrees in my ROM, still having pain and some miner swelling. I went to the Surgeon that did my TNR a couple of months ago and telling him my concerns about my knee, he told me “ I don’t know what to tell you, I did my job and you will just have to live with it.” Well I am not going to just have to live with it, I found a new Surgeon yesterday, he told me there is something definitely wrong inside the knee that is keeping it from bending. So the new Surgeon is going to go in and take everything apart and redo the whole works. The new Surgeon said that he will help me for sure.
Going for pr op blood work and chest x rays to day.
I will keep everyone posted on my progress.
As always, thanks to all for the continuous help and support.
 
I am so sorry it’s come to a revision for you, but glad this surgeon will help you. What did he say was the problem?
 
[Bonesmart.org] Finally found a new surgeon
@Mr Gary, You may notice that I have merged your two threads. We like to keep our members' recovery posts all in a single thread. That way it's easy for us to go back and read your history before responding to a question or concern. In addition, the thread becomes a journal of your recovery for those who come along later and want to read about you. So, please post in this thread from now on when you want to give an update or ask a question. If you have questions or concerns that need an immediate answer, please tag an admin, a mod, or other members or all three. How to tag another member; how to answer when someone tags you

If you decide you'd like a different thread title at any point, you can just post what you want here and we'll get it changed for you. THANKS!


If you are having a problem locating your thread, here is a link with how to do it: How can I find my threads and posts?
 
@Jockette , the Dr told me the here is definitely something “ locking” my knee from bending, he said he is going to go in and take everything apart and put it back together with new parts and remove all the scar tissue. He said he can’t understand why the other surgeon wouldn’t try to help me.
 
Last edited:
My original surgeon didn’t offer to look into any of my problems, either. He sat there studying my knee for several minutes at my one year check up. It was even a little swollen that day. But either he didn’t know what to say or he did and didn’t want to say anything. Either way, when I left his office that day I knew it was the last time I’d go to him.

3 months later I had a second opinion that was a waste of my time.

At 18 months now I am “good enough” for the moment, but definitely not the end result I expected.
 
The Surgeon tried to bend my knee past the point that I was able too, however my knee stoped at the 90 degrees spot every time, he told me “there is something locking your knee in the same spot no mater how hard or how many times I bend it.”
He said he will find out what is wrong and fix it.
I had all my blood work and X-rays done yesterday.
 
Did it hurt when he bent your knee to that stopping point? :yikes:
 
I’m so glad you stuck to your guns and sought out another surgeon. You knew what was happening with your knee was not “normal” in any way, nor was it something you “had to live with.” You were smart and self-helping to get someone else to check it out. You have a chance now to get the functional knee you wanted in the first place. Just sorry you have to go through more trouble than most of us to get there. :console2:

Do you know what day you will be having your revision surgery? I am praying so much for you! :praying:
 
Hi @Mr Gary , your story sounds like mine! I had a TKRs in October of 2017 that never felt right. When I tried to bend past 90 it felt like I hit a wall and it was not going to move any further. I would describe it it my OS but all he said was “X-ray looks fine” and PT kept pushing on it. PT said I was mentally guarding it. However my 3rd opinion noticed the patella was off-center and asked for a ct scan that showed the tibia had “internal rotation”. Your persaverance in finding an OS that is willing to figure out why has paid off. Sounds like you are on the right path to a better outcome. Best wishes with your new journey!
 
Hi @Mr Gary, I recently had a revision and I too had a very difficult time finding a revision surgeon, but am extremely happy I didn't give up and I finally found one! I received a lot of encouragement from my Bonesmart friends, because the process is very frustrating and depressing. Many days I wanted to give up and live my life using a cane and being less active. I'm glad I found an excellent surgeon that does revisions and hope my life can turn around. I had many problems with my initial TKR with not enough ROM being one. My revision surgeon did say I had a lot of scar tissue which was at least part of the problem. We are here to encourage you and be here when needed. Best of luck!
 
Oh thanks to all of you(my friends). My leg did hurt when the Dr tried to go past 90 degrees, he also said that it seemed to be locked. He told me that he is going to rebuild the TNR, also will includ the right size spacer as they think I have the ring spacer, take out as much scar tissue as possible. I pray he doesn’t have to cut the femur or the tibia any, as my surgery is secluded for November the 22nd and I have a vacation trip to Tennessee on the 16th Of December, as bad as I need my surgery I may have to postpone till January. What’s everyone’s thoughts on tha ? As bad as my leg was I was driving 4 weeks after my surgery before.
I
 
If it was me I would not be going on any vacation 3-4 weeks after surgery. I don’t think I’d be ready by January, either.
 
I may have to re schedule my surgery for the first week in January, I don’t want to be miserable on my vacation.
I told my wife that I will just pray about it and see how The Lord leads me.
The little cabin in Tennessee that we stay in (twice a year for the last ten years) has to be reserved about 18 month ahead of time. We just love it.:friends::yay::roseshwr:after 49 years of marriage, we’re still in love.:loveshwr:
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom