THR FINALLY!!! Cynthia777's Recovery Journey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh @Cynthia777! You have been through so much. Wow and :wowspring:!!

But you are doing great in spite of everything, as usual being the trooper you are. :yes!:

Remember you said never to assume anything with the medical biz? Ahem, like never assume the anesthesiologist will numb the correct limb :flabber: or actually allow you to sleep peacefully through your surgery :alarm: . Oh - and don't assume anyone will actually pay attention to what your allergies are either. "That made you itch like crazy last time? Well by all means - Let's do it again!!" :headbang::tantrum::hissy:

Can you tell I'm mad you had to suffer with this carelessness?

I am glad the construction noises didnt upset you too much anyway.

I know what you mean about not wanting to "complain". I'm the same way. I look at those evaluation/surveys and think 'Oh it was okay really. They did a good job in spite of x, y and z and besides I'm tired and would rather spend my energy elsewhere.'

But, like you, I am considering filling one out honestly with my comments this time. The nurse who took out my staples was in the same office as my OS, but not officially his nurse. She was the one who told me I'd had posterior, not anterior lateral as my #2 OS had led me to believe. She told me to keep all the posterior restrictions so I did. And you remember I was upset that I didn't know I had "posterior". Well, turns out the nurse was WRONG and hadn't read the surgery notes or whatever!! At my 6th week follow up my OS was shocked that the nurse had told me I'd had posterior! He reminded me that he had told me it would be exactly the same approach as #1 - anterior lateral- and it was! I was supposed to be off all restrictions a month ago! :gaah:

So people have advised me to write it up. This nurse was just careless. She seemed "nice" enough. But there's no excuse. I could've been moving more freely and been more ready for returning to work mid-May. Now I have to play catch up for that. Plus all the distrust in my surgeon it created.... I'm glad he didn't lie to me after all.

I'm curious what you decide to do. The good thing is you can take your time about it. Right now you should mainly be taking care of you!

And good luck with your Mussolini PT guy! :heehee:

In spite of it all, you are DONE my friend! Be sure to stay ahead of that pain. It's onward and upward from here! :yahoo:Hugs to you!
 
@Readysetgo Yikes:tantrum: That was a huge misstep on that nurses part. Don't blame you for being upset. It had an impact on your recovery and relationship with your surgeon. You should note it for sure. It can mean the loss of income or position for some if it impacts their readiness to return to work. Don't wear yourself out playing catch up. :thumb:
 
@Readysetgo...OMG! OMG! Are you kidding me that the nurse gave you the incorrect info on which approach you had????? That's outright ridiculous (ummm, can you tell how mad I am on your behalf?)!!!!! I'm actually speechless (which all of you know is near impossible for me) that something like this could happen! You must be livid...I know I would be! You're like me, it may take a lot to push us over the edge, but boy when you're pushed hard enough, WATCH OUT!

Well guess what? Today I received an automated phone survey from the hospital and when asked if I was satisfied with the care I received, I promptly and emphatically said, "NO"! It wasn't 15 minutes later when I received a phone call from a hospital administrator asking why I had said no. I went on to tell her about the anesthesiologist's not checking my chart for allergies (and how I now had a rash from the adhesive) and how my epidural was improperly placed. I also mentioned that the PT told me that suddenly her patients have been experiencing much more post-op pain since he took over. For someone who didn't want to complain, I sure did a bang up good job of it! I must add that I also mentioned a nurse who should be employee of the month as she went above and beyond the call of duty (I went on to explain everything she had done for me). The admin said they do have a monthly recognition and she was most definitely going to honor her. :-)

AND yes, I'm done!!!! Hallelujah!!! What a glorious feeling indeed! :yay: :egypdance: :dancy:
 
That's so good, @Cynthia777! You were being honest, which is what we want in all matters regarding medical care -- for them to be honest with us and vice versa, for the benefit and safety of everyone. There were a number of situations at the hospital after my THR that I did not like at all, mostly regarding the environment there, and when I got the survey form in the mail, I wrote in detail about my complaints. They hadn't provided enough room for comments, so I wrote around the edges, on the backs of the pages, all over the place! I hope they got the message. They never called me back about it, even though I identified myself as the writer. I am so glad you told them everything. They need to know! Hope you get a good night's sleep! ZZZzzz
 
GOOD - you wouldn't expect to get away with not doing your job properly and neither should he. Isn't it actually an anaesthetist's job to administer pain relief and adequate sedation - and also, by the way to follow simple rules like paying attention to a red wrist band placed there as a warning (or maybe he is colour blind?) I'm afraid it all sounds too casual. You've done absolutely the right thing. And of course the other side of the equation is you had the opportunity to heap praise where it was due - and all of that is how the hospital ups it's game. Rock on Cindy
 
@Readysetgo - yes do report back. Being "nice" is no excuse for being unprofessional. Without exception everyone was nice to me. In my feedback I mentioned that an orderly who omitted to wear gloves when all the other nursing team always did when attending to me. Not only could I be exposed to infection, but others too. We really owe it to the medical profession to enable things to improve - for everyone's benefit..
 
I've been away from my computer for a few days and I'm so sorry to hear you've had such a hard time, @Cynthia777 ! You do seem to have come through it all with grace and good humour and I'm glad you're on the way to recovery and that you stood up for yourself and all the other patients!

Don't jump on your PT too harshly until you find out what he has to say - mine have all been very good at working within what I wanted.

Do you remember I was dreaming of floating all weightless in a pool? I have one here on holiday and it's fantastic for the physio exercises. It's making me dream of moving to warmer climate - it was snowing at home when I left!

Look after yourself.
xx
 
@Krista...You are such a spunky gal and I get such a kick out of you! I can just see that survey form with your comments everywhere! You go girl! :heehee:


Yes @Arlene56, as they say on BS, "No two hips are alike" and I am definitely a believer!!!


@Miss Muffet...I think I shall hire you as my advocate if I should ever need another hospitalization! Besides making sure all is in order, we would be having a grand old time! :friends:


@DeepBreath...you are now an official member of the "Fly on the Wall" club! I know I'm going to start laughing as I imagine all of my pals watching all the fireworks (jk)!:giggle:


@Zelda...I promise I won't be as harsh as I portray myself. I will smile, nod my head in agreement and after he leaves will proceed to do what I want to do (it's the Italian thing to do). :snork: I do remember you are a snowbird and you were heading south. I'm sure I will be getting a lot of use out of my pool this year. Have you ever considered SoCal as a nice warm destination? I can set you up with a nice manufactured home that you can escape to each year and show you around town! :heehee: I hope you're having a wonderful time my friend! Hugs!
 
@TriciaGP...you are right, my recovery without PT has been nothing short of miraculous! I'm so happy I could bring a bit of laughter during this emotional journey! I'm a firm believer in "Laughter is the best medicine". I've actually read numerous studies on the subject in volving cancer patients AND I've seen the power first hand when my best friend of 35 years developed breadt cancer. I had that girl laughing day and night and her 6 month life expectancy prognosis ended up being 5 years! I'll be back little fly! :-)
 
Have you ever considered SoCal as a nice warm destination? I can set you up with a nice manufactured home that you can escape to each year and show you around town! :heehee: I hope you're having a wonderful time my friend! Hugs!
I think I would wilt in the heat. I'm wandering around Spain in a summer dress and all the local women are still in thick tights and twinsets!:heehee:
 
@Zelda
Duh! I failed to notice you are in the United Kingdom! I've always wanted to visit Spain, you lucky lady you! Btw...my all time favorite game is Zelda (such a beautiful name). I'm embarrassed to say years ago I used to shoo away my daughter and her friends from the Nintendo game so I could play! :heehee:
 
Good morning, @Cynthia777 ~ I will be looking forward to hearing about your PT session today....as you nod and smile....and shoo him out the door! ~ ~ Regarding the Zelda game....I was really, really good at that one too! In fact, as I volunteered at our Children's Hospital for years and years, I was one of few who knew how to play it. Thus, they would seek me out to challenge the kids to a game! The kids loved it that an adult knew some of the 'secrets' of the game and it brought true smiles to their faces.....which, of course, filled my heart.

I also LOVED your saying NO on the hospital survey phone call! I've often wondered if the written survey simply finds its way to the 'circular file' and never takes anything constructive from it. However, your spoken word seems to have found 'ears'. Good for you.
 
@Cynthia777 - Good to hear your lively, feisty spirit again, "CC!" Taking on the hospital and the PT but doing so appropriately as the advocate and champion of your care! @Zelda and I are exactly two weeks away from THR. I know this will be her second, but it is my first (and hopefully only - I'm fine not having a "matched" set - ha ha). I hope to navigate recovery with humor and class as you are doing. If not, I'll blame it all on the meds. :loll:You keep up the good work.
 
@Nana2-8...oh how I can just those kids enjoying every minute watching you play! My daughters friends got such a kick out if the fact that an "old person" (I think I was around 46 at the time) liked playing Zelda and Mario! :heehee:

@Sommers16...Well aren't you a dear! So kind of you to see me in such a positive light! I think ones attitude has a lot to do with acceptance. Once I got to the point where I told myself, "It is what it is and all the what ifs and worrying in the world won't change a thing" my mental attitude was uphill from there. It's sure a lot easier navigating this journey with laughter rather than with tears! I know you will travel this road in much the same way, as I can see it through your upbeat posts! You've already won over half the battle. :)

@Miss Muffet...you're just too cute for words!!!! :friends:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
So glad you took the opportunity to address the issues that went wrong in that hospital. As patients we can direct care - but only if we speak out. Too many people do not question. Well done! (gets off soap box and slinks away quietly).
 
PT update...

My PT Mr. Mussani (not Mussolini...:heehee:) just left and I think I've found a new boyfriend for Josephine! :rofsign:

This is what he said...

1. I'm doing better than 99.9% of his patients! He said most are shuffling along this early on and have a limp as well (I'm not limping while using my cane or walker).

2. The only exercises he wants me to fo are the basic ones the hospital sends you home with (when sitting...knee bends, ankle pumps and while lying down, press knee into bed and lift leg slightly). Then walk as much as I'm comfortable with (if it hurts stop doing it) and in between rest. That's it. He stressed not to overdo it and take it slow and steady. I even showed him how I can sit Indian style (I had to show off just a bit), which really surprised him.

3. He said he will visit one more time just to see how I'm coming along and he said I DO NOT NEED ANY OUTSIDE PT!
When he left I thought to myself, "This is Josephine's dream of a PT guy!" :rofsign:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom