Finally a Date for Surgery and my Journey to come

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's a great goal, but it's highly unrealistic. I'd recommend watching it from a comfortable recliner with ice and pain meds handy. You'll probably sleep through most of it.
When I had my BTKR, I could not wait to get home to watch the OSU/Michigan game. Since everybody in my family went to OSU, and I did some grad work there, it is a big game (not to mention that my cousin and my uncle were in TBDBITL).

I got home and was ready for the game---and slept through about 2/3's of it! :snork:

You are still going to be on major pain meds and your body will be using major amounts of energy to heal the surgery, so you will be exhausted most of the time. I am sorry again, but I would say that your best seat is in front of the big-screen.
 
Hi Bill. I am 5 weeks out, and my recovery has been pretty good. To be honest with you, buy a ticket to fly to Phenix. and planning to sit in a wheelchair watching a game, you will be very disappointed because most of us would be very uncomfortable siting in a chair for that long. I know I could not. If I were you, I would watch the game in front of my tv at home.
 
Bill, have you given thought to the concerns we raised? We care and we also speak from real life experiences. At 12 days post op I had to haul myself in for my first post op visit to my OS. I came home and slept for five hours! I can't fathom putting myself through what you're thinking of doing (and I have a high pain threshold too).
 
Wow. Great responses from all of you guys. Dollar bill good luck with your surgery. I gotta wait till feb for my knee replacement :beg:. I wish i could have it tomorrow. With that said its very painfull for me to go to a game now!! for example 49 ers, warriors and giants, even a movie is tough. After a movie it takes me 5 minutes to make it out. My poor girlfriend literally has to carry me out. Im a young 48 but after a movie , seniors are whizzing by me.True story. Anyways i have recieved so much in so little time on this forum i truly feel blessed . Keep us posted please . PS go niners :yay:
 
Sorry its taken me so long to get back here to read the posts on me going to the NFL game 11 days after surgery. I will take all of the input into consideration before I make my decision. I know I did go to a game five days after hip surgery and was not in all that bad of shape. Next question is to anyone that has had both hip and Knee replacements is there that big I difference in the pain involved? Let me also add that my seating at the game is in what is Considered Wheel Chair seating and I could have my leg up and out and iced if need be. To be very honest I am leaning way to the side of just skipping the whole game day due to the very good input I have received from you all so thanks for that input. On ward and up ward.
 
hey Bill . you sure are a fan. but look on the bright side next season you can go and walk all over the stadium pain free . ill be watching the game too from home probably laying down. I believe its the last game of the regular season. with potential playoff implications. good luck again with surgery. u r 2 weeks away
 
After surgery your body will take over to deal with healing. It affects one both physically and mentally, draining energy to fuel the healing process. You will be lethargic and "mentally challenged".

So, if you can watch the thing on the telly, please plan to do that.
 
Welcome and good luck with your surgery and recovery.
I think if your heart is set on going to watch the game you will be disappointed.

You will not be able to manage sitting for that length of time with your knee's bent.

If you can watch it on your tv and record the game I would suggest that at this stage. You meds will make you very sleepy and you will have no energy. You will be still having your knee iced and leg elevated.

This is probably not what you want to read but we are all experienced and reality is you body is going to still need a lot of recovery :(
 
I agree with the others that's way too soon to go to the game. Over and above any pain and discomfort you may have, you'll be exhausted, this knee replacement stuff knocks the heck out of us! I know about 4 weeks after I had my BTKR in July 2012, we went to a friends home who was having a simple picnic. I felt fine, was still on pain meds, but couldn't even get up out of a chaise lounge chair without help!

I have season tickets to the Eagles games, and was able to attend the first game that year, which was probably around labor day, or 6-7 weeks after my surgery. I did get my seat switched for the 1st 2 games to sit in the "disabled peoples" area, just so I could have more room to put my legs up etc. , and that worked out well for me.

Also remember, I don't know about where you are, but here in Philadelphia it's a long walk just to get from your car to your seat in the stadium, that will tire you out too.

Good luck!

Howard
 
fiftydollarbill...

Frankly I'm shocked and disappointed that you're still even remotely considering going to that game. But I'm guessing you'll begin to see it our way after the surgery. Good luck to you :-)
 
Hey group. Just got back from my neighbors house and giving my ticket away to the the game on the 29th. . She is a big fan and will go keep my spouse company at the game. I think every bodys advise is good information. So I will watch it from my bed, and most likely sleep through most of it. Two weeks to go, and looking forward to the morning of the 18th. Thanks again. bill
 
Hi Bill
You're getting plenty of good responses--but we on Bonesmart all like to chat, so here's my two cents!

Last Christmas Eve my knee (which had been "bad" since my teens) swelled up so badly I could hardly put my pants on over it. We were having my husband's family over--hubby did most of the prep, and the in-laws mainly commented on how I should go to the doctor ASAP. Instead, on Christmas Day I got on a plane to LA "because we planned it." I got through the flight with a combo of hydrocodone and a glass of wine. Nice! We finally went to emergent care in L.a. where I was diagnosed with septic arthritis and put on heavy-duty antibiotics (thank God that diagnosis was false)--there was a fun day of vaca. Then I tried going to Universal Studios--had to be pushed around in a wheelchair.

All of this followed a stomach bleed in August caused by ibuprofen/naproxen use.

By the end of January I'd scheduled my BTKR. This year I'm still recovering, but I can walk, shop, go up and down stairs, and I'm planning a trip to Ireland in the summer.

As for the football game: Not. Aside from the difficulty of bending the leg for any length of time, the place will be jammed, and crowded spaces will not be your friend; no one's looking out for a guy with a crutch (or a wheelchair, for that matter). People will bump you and step on you and knock your fairly-fresh and still-suffering knee about. Energy levels take awhile to come back, too, and I imagine going to the game would be pretty much an all-day event of car riding, transferring/wheeling, getting into the stadium, etc.

But being a fan is powerful medicine. Good luck!
j
 
Went to the hospital today had my final blood tests and tests for MRSA. They check everybody here for that. I guess they do in every hospital these days. Got all my stuff and testing complete and ready to go in 9 days. Looking forward to getting done and starting recovery.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom